Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2022, 12:05   #1

How Do You Decide What to See and What to Skip?

My cruising plans don't involve returning to my point of origin and instead just spending lots of time wherever along the way. I was looking at charts of my local waters (British Columbia) and thinking of the fact I'll have to leave the area forever having left so much unseen. This made me wonder if there's a good way to determine what's worth seeing and what to skip, how do you decide? BC is beautiful but the lengthy off-season is filled with gales and cold rain and snow. I can endure it but it's not fun and so, at best, I might get a few months cruising in before I begin my southbound passage to Mexico in late summer.

I think I'll have a hard time deciding when to leave the Baja region because of the pleasant climate and the Marquesas will probably be similar. One could argue it makes more sense to follow the seasons and do proper circumnavigations but the exorbitant cost of a Panama Canal transit makes that a no go for me and my tiny Westerly Centaur sloop.

What say ye, Internet?
Notfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:07   #2

Boat: Hanse 430e
Re: How Do You Decide What to See and What to Skip?

There is not enough daylight left in my life to see everything that I want to see. I will continue to miss out but I am content seeing alot more these days than I would have if I hadn't left.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:21   #3

Ok but how do you make the call when you're looking at charts and deciding where to go? What do you do if you see something enticing en route?
Old 10-02-2022, 12:31   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I usually pick out a few places that look interesting from guidebooks, then let weather dictate the rest.

Often the unplanned stop is the nicest one.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:33   #5

Good point, I forgot it's really the weather calling the shots on a sailboat ��
Old 10-02-2022, 12:38   #6

Boat: Hanse 430e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notfast View Post
Ok but how do you make the call when you're looking at charts and deciding where to go? What do you do if you see something enticing en route?
Turn in that direction and go. I wander more than I have a plan. Some mornings I get up and look for a place to go. Or if I have heard about something from a friend or other sailor then I may just go visit it myself.

One other thing. I keep a long list of saved places on Google Maps. If I see an interesting place on the news or in a picture, I'll often save that to Google Maps so when I am in the area Ill take the time.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 13:03   #7

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
...I was looking at charts of my local waters (British Columbia) ...I think I'll have a hard time deciding when to leave the Baja region because of the pleasant climate and the Marquesas will probably be similar. One could argue it makes more sense to follow the seasons and do proper circumnavigations but the exorbitant cost of a Panama Canal transit makes that a no go for me and my tiny Westerly Centaur sloop.
Look at some charts further afield and you'll discover that you don't need to go through the Panama Canal to reach the Marquesas. It's 'exorbitant cost' wouldn't come into play until you were 7/8 of the way around the world and that's ample time to change plans, or indeed stick to one - you stated that you don't expect to return there anyway, so surely a moot point?
Old 10-02-2022, 13:03   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

What say ye, Internet?
I say you have to decide if you are sailing for a journey/voyage or for the sights/destination.

To me it seems silly to journey to somewhere to see the sights just to decide to stop seeing in order to journey to different sights.
Old 10-02-2022, 13:12   #9

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

weather or time, budget and personal preferences dictate what to see.. we had a year to the the Caribbean and were on a budget. we did some tourist stuff that was inexpensive. had to be in Grenada for hurricane season. moved around based on time to get home. there were a lot of live aboards who basically sat on Grenada and never moved. we were more into exploring and I don't consider that "cruising" at all. in retrospect I wish we spent more money seeing/ doing things because I do regret not doing some stuff because of cost.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 13:53   #10

I think it’s a valid question. I also think cruising is different things to different people. For myself, sailing and in general travel is both about the trip, AND the destination.

As far as where to go, and what to see… I think that one of the benefits of the Internet is rapid access to lots of information - from all around the world. Any trip we take is researched in advance to look for those must-sees… and also… those incredible, off the beaten path adventures. Likewise, published cruising guides are a great resource and helps us learn from those before us.

Lastly, while it seems popular to bash the YouTube sailors on the forums… I have found that there are some that have become quite skilled at both their videography and storytelling. I have several I watch weekly (not really caring for traditional mindless television). I’ve learned quite a bit, and also have definitely added some locations to my “must see” bucket list as a result of watching their videos.

Your mileage may vary.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 14:15   #11

Yeah, it's easy to miss stuff. I hope you have spent time on the outside of Van Isle. Not to be missed!

Following weather cycles is a good way, but also, countries only give you a certain amount of time to stay, so between the two, decisions get made for you! Not to mention traveling around hurricane season...

Dont count on that "I think I'll have a hard time deciding when to leave the Baja region because of the pleasant climate" very much, it's hot as hell June through September. The Northers can blow strong for days December through February! That's 7 months of not so pleasant!.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 14:19   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Once you leave your national waters, the places you visit [and Wx!] will have a big say about where you can go and sometimes even when- not to mention for how long... [If you don't already know, Noonsite.com is a good resource for such info.]

It sounds like you would like to try warmer climates. Mexico is a good start on the Pacific E coast.

It provides an easy break-in to the bureaucracy [Noonsite: Mexico Formalities] often imposed on international boaters. [Import your vessel before crossing the boarder; In each port check-in with Customs, Imegration, and the Port Captain (typically 3 different offices in 3 different locations, not necessarily always in the same order, and, often with different office hours... At lease when I spent time there a couple of decades ago.) Then check out again before you leave each port with all 3, only to check in again in your next port. No big deal, just something to be aware of in case you weren't already...

I also transited the Pacific coconut milk run long ago [pre-GPS] and found I didn't do well in the seasonal heat, but spent 7 years regardless. I haven't gone further S than 48° since that return [and then only to acquire my current boat...] I haven't yet tired of year around exploring of the entire NE Pacific and regions N of the Pacific on occasion.

How did I figure out where to go when touring the central and south Pacific? You will make friends with many others doing the same thing along your journey, and sharing experiences [and warnings...] will often help you decide... And cruisers over the past couple of decades enjoy additional resources such as forums like this one, Noonsite, etc.

Wishing you a wonderful adventure.

Cheers! Bill
Old 10-02-2022, 14:45   #13

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Often the unplanned stop is the nicest one.
Excellent observation!
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 14:53   #14

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

I would say the same as Chotu. But also with a guide or even several I found out that not every recommendation worked for me. As you can not see all in the time given by the weather or the law, you may sail back in a 2nd circumnavigation as I have done. But also then, where is still a lot more to see. For you the east coast of the Americas is at the end of your circumnavigation, provided you sail west. So you will have a lot of experience earned and you may think about to sail over the Beagle channel.
Fair winds
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 15:03   #15

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
  1. Look for safe, protected, harbors. I'll sail 100 miles out of my way for a great harbor safe from winds of all directions (like so many in BC, but rare in Mexico)
  2. browse Internet sites on nice towns in the country you're going to visit. Old towns with great restaurants by the water are primo as are tourist attractions such as National Forests, Parks, and things like volcanos.
  3. Shopping is important, will you have a good place for provisioning?
  4. When in doubt as to where to go, go closer. We often have been bypassing neat places while searching farther afield for something new. In Canada we had been sailing out the Straits for years and going farther up the coast each time. Then one year we decided to stop into Port Renfrew which we'd been bypassing all those years. We stayed two weeks and explored every inch. It was great.
  5. Where will you meet your friends, or have close proximity to international flights, if you need one.