Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2011, 15:03   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Long Island Sound - Hopefully NYC to MTK

I have been talking with two experienced friends about taking two weeks to cruise with my Catalina 30 from NY Harbor (Marine Basin Marina) to Lake Montauk, and back. I am pretty familiar with the destination, having grown up by the lake, and I have snorkled and sailed much of it. So for example, I know that the safe bet is to arrive at high tide, as there are articles in the paper about the need to dredge the harbor channel.

Anyhow, I want to keep the plan flexible, so if we want to cut it short, we may turn around at Orient, or perhaps we go further through Peconic Bay, past Shelter and Gardiners islands.

What are some good harbors, or even anchorages to overnight at?

At present we are thinking about some stops such as:
City Island ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Oyster Bay ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Northport ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Stony Brook ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Port Jefferson ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Mattituck ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Greenport ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Then Montauk (Maybe anchoring at Napeague, but the top of Gardiners looks simpler)

Not hoping to stop at all these ports mind you, as at this point I am collecting opinions as to people experiences cruising Long Island sound.
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 16:40   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Re: Long Island Sound (hopefully NYC to MTK)

Where you stop the 1st day out of NYC will depend on what time you catch the currents on the east river. If you catch an early morning ride up the east river, you probably wouldn't stop at City Island if it's a nice day.

I usually try to make Port Jeff the 1st day...and pick up one of the towns mooring balls Port Jeff is a cool town imo, I don't mind the ferry's coming and going.
I often lay over there for a day before crossing the sound to Essex or Old Saybrook.

If I hit the east river later, I've pulled into huntington bay....it's a long way in..
I've stopped at West Shore Marina, so I can't speak to the anchorages at Northport.

I cross the sound toward the Connecticut river after Port Jeff, so I'm no help past there.

On the way back, keep in mind that City Island has no diesel to my knowledge.
I've stayed there, nice town..some decent restaurants withing walking distance.

If you need diesel fuel before going back down the east River, your best choice is Manahasset bay. The Capris Marina is the 1st one in I believe. You can continue on to Port Washington if you want...

I'm sure those that are more familiar with the anchorages on your route will chime in with great info.

Have a good trip!
Old 28-05-2011, 16:54   #3

My boat is a Catalina 30, and I have no dingy. I am reluctant to buy one and deal with a motor, gasoline, mixing oil etc. Maybe a two person sea kayak would be sufficient. I have one and I find it a joy to paddle.
Old 28-05-2011, 17:04   #4

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

Port Jeff, has a couple of launches to service their mooring bouys, just call them and they'll pick you up.

You'll still need fuel for your catalina 30 no? You can probably expect to do a bit of motoring on the sound in summer.....

Kayaks are nice!
Old 28-05-2011, 17:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Port Jeff, has a couple of launches to service their mooring bouys, just call them and they'll pick you up.

You'll still need fuel for your catalina 30 no? You can probably expect to do a bit of motoring on the sound in summer.....

Kayaks are nice!
You remind me, I need to fix the fuel gauge, though I have a five gallon jerry can, so no problem with keeping some extra fuel. Yes, I'll pick some up along the way.
Old 29-05-2011, 04:23   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: Long Island Sound - Hopefully NYC to MTK

some great and up-to-date info on all the places you listed can be found on ActiveCaptain - zoom in to see the markers of each harbor, then click on markers to view details.
Old 29-05-2011, 05:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanpeda View Post
Anyhow, I want to keep the plan flexible, so if we want to cut it short, we may turn around at Orient, or perhaps we go further through Peconic Bay, past Shelter and Gardiners islands.

What are some good harbors, or even anchorages to overnight at?

At present we are thinking about some stops such as:
City Island ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Oyster Bay ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Northport ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Stony Brook ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Port Jefferson ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Mattituck ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Greenport ( Long Island Sound - Google Maps )
Then Montauk (Maybe anchoring at Napeague, but the top of Gardiners looks simpler)

Not hoping to stop at all these ports mind you, as at this point I am collecting opinions as to people experiences cruising Long Island sound.
1) First make sure you have this years Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book. It will be very helpful for you to ride the currents and make your sailing faster.

2) DO NOT go against the current in the East River and through hell Gate. Make sure you ride with it. I usually try to arrive at The Battery about two hours after low water there so I can ride the fair current up the East River. Also plan on motoring up the East River and don't count on sailing it. There can be lot's of tug and barge activity it's tight at some spots and you want to make sure your engine is already running.

City Island is a great stop for sailors:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: DESTINATION: CITY ISLAND NAUTICAL MUSEUM

THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: DESTINATION: CITY ISLAND PART TWO: ISLAND OF THE DEAD

If you can time your arrival early enough on the weekend try and check out the City Island Maritime museum.

If you don't need to pick up anything you can save some time and just anchor in Cold Spring Harbor and skip Oyster Bay. It's a good anchorage in any blow except from the north.

Skip Stony Brook. Port Jefferson is the better stop for the area.
Old 29-05-2011, 05:31   #8

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

It's a long run from PJ to Orient with few places to run in should the weather deteriorate. So pick a good day. Have a plan to scoot over to the Conn. side if a NW kicks up. Catching the tide is critical. The tide really runs fast when you get past around Greenport, going towards the Gut so plan backward from maybe 10 miles to Plum. Running close to shore can also get you out of the worst current in the Sound. If you run close in the first 5-10 miles out of PJ against the current, it will save running against the much stronger current close to Plum. You can easily make Orient in one day. I always make Block in one day, which is 15 miles farther, arriving just after dark.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 06:15   #9

Boat: contessa 32

Hi: You did not mention any anchorages on the N. side of LI sound. All those on the S.side of the sound mentioned are fine and maybe better in dirty weather ,I.e. a low pressure system offshore causing an Easterly component in LIS.
But the NY and Conn. shore offer easier access to an anchorage or berth since most on the LI side require a much longer trip in and out to find quieter waters( Port Jeff is an exception). Furthermore by traveling under the lee afforded by the Conn. coast one is sheltered from any long fetches from any cold fronts that blow through. Most any summer afternoons there will be a reasonable chance of T storms, most all of which will be comming off the Conn. coast where shelter is nearby the whole length of this coast.Once past Port Jeff there is a long streach of fairly open water with little shelter if things blow up from anywhere from the S thru W to N. (most prevailing winds).I also suspect the daytime sea breeze will be stronger on the Conn coast but have no data to support this.
No doubt the N. shore offers many fine harbors , been to most, but you will be spending alot of unnecessary hours that could be used to get you on your way to Montauk. Maybe stay near L.I. untill P Jeff then consider the Conn coast esp. if pm T storms are predicted ;too many places to mention here but could anchor behind Duck Is which gives an easy shot at Plum Gut once you figure the tides. Once inside Orient Pt. , Shelter Is. offers many places and so got its name. Fair Winds.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 08:58   #10

In the summer, the prevailing fair weather scenario on the Sound is 6am-noon light variable wind rising with the sun// 1200-1400 onshore wind rising from SW // 1400-1800 good SW onshore breeze that dies as the land cools but can continue until well after dark at times.

Of course, onshore means offshore to LI side. There are many places to seek shelter on the Conn. side but it is very rocky and there are bars to look out for farther east. You need to plan ahead by knowing just where you'll duck in. With the usual PM onshore wind, the fetch builds as you go north. As many times as I've been this route, have never had to run off to Conn. I usually just head mid-Sound on the right tide and weather. As with any sailing decision, it should not be based on a set schedule. That's how to get in trouble. I do a lot of current research when I'm going anywhere and then mark the optimum departure windows in my Eldridge. Have found it is a lot less thorny to sit and wait for good windows than to try and press ahead. This is REALLY hard for me because I get antsy quickly and like to keep moving but it is essential.
Old 29-05-2011, 12:00   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

allan, depending on your tastes and budget...

You mention CI but that can be awfully busy now that season has begun. Take a look at your charts re "special" versus "general" anchorages. In a "general" anchorage, such a Little Bay (se corner of the Throggs neck Bridge) you can simply anchor the boat, no services no fees. There are any number of these tucked in along both shores of LI Sound.
While you'll be stuck on the boat with no restaurants in reach...sometimes it is good enough to know you can drop the hook and spend the night.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 12:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
allan, depending on your tastes and budget...

You mention CI but that can be awfully busy now that season has begun. Take a look at your charts re "special" versus "general" anchorages. In a "general" anchorage, such a Little Bay (se corner of the Throggs neck Bridge) you can simply anchor the boat, no services no fees. There are any number of these tucked in along both shores of LI Sound.
While you'll be stuck on the boat with no restaurants in reach...sometimes it is good enough to know you can drop the hook and spend the night.
No need to convince me. As a kid growing up in Pelham Bay, CI was infamous for being a zoo in the summer.
Old 29-05-2011, 12:27   #13

A good place to throw the hook after coming through the E.River is a little south of Kings Point, directly opposite the Throgs Neck in front of some residential houses in a partial cove there. You always can go across to the north and anchor if weather comes in from N. heavy but the fetch is short for any real waves to develop. Holding is good in about 9'. It's a good spot to overnight for an early start next day. From the city you can make it farther on day 1 and maybe even make it all the way to PJ without stopping if you motorsail a bit.
Old 01-06-2011, 17:14   #14

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

I keep my Pearson 26 in Mill Basin and I've done this trip twice now, getting ready for a third. The first time I had no dinghy, second time I did.

I'd echo the sentiments about getting the tides right, not just through Hellgate (on the way up pass the Battery two hours after low tide at the Battery) but also through the rest of the sound. The diagram in Eldridge of currents relative to the tide is priceless. Timing the tide through the Race and/or Plum Gut is just as crucial as the East River. I had a couple of rough passages through Plum Gut.

I've anchored in the following places on the LI shore: Glen Cove, Cold Spring Harbor, Lloyd's Harbor, Port Jeff, and Coecle's Harbor. I really like Port Jeff (right inside the Harbor to the right) and Coecle's Harbor for scenic anchorages. The entrance to Coecle's is tricky but not impossible (my draft is 5 ft.). On the CT side I've mostly anchored in the Thimble Islands around Stony Creek, but also stayed at a marina in Clinton, which was a pretty nice stop. I find crossing over to Connecticut makes sense because it's a long way without a good stop from Port Jeff around to the fishtail. And although Port Jeff is doable in a day, it's a good 80 miles from you so it may be wise to pick out one or two closer stops to be practical. It was fine not having a dinghy, but we didn't really mind not going ashore at that point.

If you haven't looked already, ActiveCaptain will have a lot of info about specific anchorages and fuel stops, etc. I can tell you more about these areas or answer any specific questions if you have any. I'm usually the receiver of wisdom on this site, so I'd be happy to share what I know.

I actually logged on just now to post about Lake Montauk when I found this thread. I was thinking of going there the week of July 4th, and I haven't anchored there before. I just called the Coast Guard there to ask about anchoring in the lake, and they told me I need a permit, which they said is 'actually surprisingly expensive.' I haven't gotten an answer yet about it from the Town of East Hampton, but from what I can tell, it definitely costs you money to anchor in Three Mile Harbor. Take a look at their ridiculous pricing scheme for non-residents:
East Hampton Trustees - The Trustees of the Freeholders and Commonalty of the Town of East Hampton
The town of East Hampton runs Montauk Harbor too, but I'm not sure if the same rules apply. How anyone can get away with charging money to anchor baffles me. Also I'm not sure Napeague is deep enough for you, and it says on ActiveCaptain that it's off limits these days.

Anyone know more about anchoring in Lake Montauk? The marinas there are expensive! Otherwise, good luck!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 17:26   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"How anyone can get away with charging money to anchor baffles me. "
That's easy. You must be a tourist or newcomer not to know Long Island history. Parts of land ownership, including underwater bottomlands, in Long Island date back to Crown Patents, land grants that pre-date the United States government and which were honored by the US government after the revolution. (Not that they had any choice in honoring them, since the sovereign state, former colony of New York already did.) Then in order to raise money for war bonds during WW2, the US government SOLD title to underwater bottomlands to some of the villages, etc. on Long Island.
So while you as a vessel have the right to pass through navigable waters, you do not have the right to use their property. You cannot take shellfish, you cannot insert an anchor, you can only pass through.
That property is privately (municipally) owned and the residents, like residents of island paradises all over the world, prefer to keep it to themselves. Especially if you can't afford to drop lots of money while you're there. Like a 3-drink minimum at a night club show, it tends to keep us riff-raff out.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long island sound, nyc