Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2022, 07:22   #1

Boat: 1988 Cal 28-2
Long Islanders: Jones Inlet Question

I have tickets to a concert at Jones Beach this summer and need to officially rule out trying to go by boat . Is there any real possibility of getting 5.5' draft into Jones inlet and a marina close enough for an Uber to the ampitheater? Active Captain indicates probably no, but I just can't let it go lol. Thanks.
Michaelecushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 13:29   #2

Re: Long Islanders: Jones Inlet Question

You’re in Connecticut?
Id jump over to
Port Washington and Uber from there.
Once took my daughter to a Spice Girls
concert there in June
It was fairly chilly
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 15:01   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

You would have an easier time through E. Rockaway Inlet, then motor inside to Jones beach.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 03:10   #4

Thanks guys. Yes, coming over from New London. Hopefully it will be warm in August. I also considered oyster bay and port Jeff.
Old 27-04-2022, 04:40   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

It's doable*

Jones inlet is where I sail out of. Currently the inlet is in desperate need of dredging, but politics. We recently had to fight to get the CG and ACOE to survey and move the channel. The JI safe water bouy it's supposed to be moved a mile west. The inlet has changed dramatically in the last year. I have not put my boat in the water yet, so I can't give you first hand local knowledge yet, but I have some friends and Facebook people who have gone out the new channel. It's tight, and there's one spot that is shallow. Do not attempt to come in at low tide if there's any swell, it will be breaking across the inlet.

If you come in to East Rockaway (Debbs Inlet), it's marginally better. There's a spot you need to watch it for but should be ok. You can motor inside, but the Wreck Lead bridge (LIRR trestle) is a pain in the ass. They refuse to open fully because of lack of maintenance. They claim to have to call the yard in Jamaica to get permission to open more, which last time I went through, it took 1.5 hours, because then two trains came. I stopped going that way about 5 years ago because of that, but the bridge just underwent a major repair, so I may pass through in a couple of weeks. I'll report back. Also, if hailing them on the VHF, they will not respond to anything but "wreck Lead", you will be ignored.

As far as marinas go, the Town of Hempstead East Marina is right in Point lookout, just inside the inlet. This is your best bet. They don't advertise transient slips, but they do it. They also have a marina in Freeport. Both are adequate, but are also in serious need of being dredged, but politics! There's about a 4.5 foot tide, so just don't come in at low. My rule is at least 1.5 hours either side of low tide, I draw 6 foot. This season it may be 2 hours. You have to call Town of Hempstead Conservation and Waterways. Ask for Patty or Brian! What size boat do you have, length and beam?

You can also drop anchor in Zach's Bay right next to the theater, but there's no where legally to tie up a dinghy. There's a beach you can land on, and walk to the theater. It becomes a zoo there on the weekend too. If there is a west wind, you can hear the concert in the bay.

Another place is the Sore Thumb, which is just inside Fire Island Inlet, which is in the middle of a $1.7B dredging project. Same thing with Zach's Bay, there's no place to tie up a dinghy legally, and its a zoo in the weekends. There's a beach where you can land a dinghy near the parking lot of Oak Beach, but I can't speak to the security of your dinghy overnight. An Uber can pick you up from there. Unlike Zach's Bay, there is no speed limit and people will be flying by you. But it's a nice place to hang out, and its empty at night. We go here often for an easy weekend away.Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1651056964560.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	256737Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1651058943974.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	256738Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1651058930566.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	256739
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 17:02   #6

Thank you, this is incredibly helpful and exactly what I was looking for!
Old 10-07-2022, 08:06   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

Are you still looking to come in through Jones inlet? I got a decent track that's been pretty safe that a bunch of us have been following.
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:11   #8

Thank you for both your original post and remembering. Since it's a long beat outside we've decided it's too much for our week off and will, unfortunately, be driving to the concert. Again, I appreciate you sharing the local knowledge.

Tags
Islander, Long Island