Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2022, 10:27   #1

Thumbs up New Cruising ground advice

Howdy all! We usually charter in SW FL, but our favorite Capt moved. We are starting our new adventure March 27th out of St Augustine FL and headed North!
Crew enjoys nature, history, diving, hidden gem eateries, and drinking All local knowledge will be GREATLY appreciated. Love this forum!!! Hope to be FT liveaboards in next couple years
mike10haken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:04   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: New Cruising ground advice

Hello Mike,

It is not exactly clear what your situation is or what you are asking. Are you asking for recommendations of places to go on a charter out of St. Augustine or are you asking about places to go on your own boat heading north from St. Augustine? If the latter how far north are you considering? I'd certainly recommend Penobscot Bay, Maine, but don't know if that fits your intention.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:21   #3

Hey Doug sorry if I was vague. We have a boat chartered with Capt for a week and were just looking for fun stuff to do there as we have never cruised that area
mike10haken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:21   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

OK Mike,

Hopefully someone else will jump in here. We only pass through that area when moving north or south for the season and don't have much local knowledge on the area within charter range north of St. Augustine.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Cruising ground advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike10haken View Post
Hey Doug sorry if I was vague. We have a boat chartered with Capt for a week and were just looking for fun stuff to do there as we have never cruised that area
Would have thought your Skipper would know.. its his area..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:50   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Cumberland Island, Savannah -- Google them and see what they have to offer. LOTS to experience!

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:42   #7

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

You'll probably end up daysailing up to Fernandina Beach and spending a day or two there exploring a great little town. Lots of nice little shops, restaurants and bars. For history, there is a well-maintained Fort Clinch. Next day you can go up the ICW about 10 miles to Cumberland island where you can anchor and spend several days enjoying the nature and scenery of that beautiful, uninhabited island. Highlights are live oaks draped in spanish moss, a pristine beach, scenic salt marshes and even wild horses. You may also get up to Jekyll/St. Simons/Brunswick GA, but none of them have anything much different to offer than the Fernandina Beach area.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, cruising