Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 04:10   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: New to Cruising...I Mean REALLY New!

once in the travel lift dock,check for leaks,do a propultion check,reattach any rigging,cast off lines and go like hell!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 23:29   #32

Wattsailing, that was an awesome post. An American musical artist named Kenny Chesney has a song called "French Kissing Life". He described having a guest over at his boat. The guest upon coming aboard, went forward to the bow and began to howl at the moon. "Aaaaahhhhooooo!!!!" After howling at the moon, his guest looked back at him and said, "Man! This is French Kissing Life. So Kenny wrote a song and included his friend's howl in it....French Kissing Life square on the mouth, sailing out on the sea. There are plenty that think I have lost my mind by moving to a liveaboard. To heck with them. I feel like I am being intimate with life and seeking out and fullfilling my dreams. When I finally do check out at the end of my time, I dont want to leave a perfect corpse. It is going to be beat up, sunburned, wind burned, skint Knees, broken bones healed over, torn cartlidge and ligaments.....someone looking at it will say, "Who ever lived in that thing did some serious living." Happy living and happy sailing. :-)
Panama Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 23:31   #33

Good luck CJ. Thank you for letting us all live vicariously through your post. Keep us updated.
Old 25-08-2013, 04:30   #34

Boat: 40 spray
Re: New to cruising...I mean REALLY new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
I'd rather see behind the switch panel
You hit the nail on the head with this one! lol I have som eelectrical issues to sort out but I am happY I think I found you on instagram, are you the photographer? If so very nice to follow you!
Cjwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 07:31   #35

We are launched but still sorting out a few issues before I can go out. The solenoid on the windlass keeps tripping and apparently the new 3 way was installed wrong and it wasn't allowing the batteries to charge so the windlass ran the batteries down. Maybe tomorrow the sea trial can be completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2591633398.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	66075   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-837486024.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	66076  

Old 27-08-2013, 08:21   #36

Boat: Knysna 440

That blue water looks so nice... /jealous.
Lonestaralaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 08:25   #37

It's an amazing blue such as I've never seen. It's odd because at times of the day it can appear green. I am definitely in awe of its beauty
Old 31-08-2013, 21:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjwelch View Post
It's an amazing blue such as I've never seen. It's odd because at times of the day it can appear green. I am definitely in awe of its beauty
+1. Awesome
Old 01-09-2013, 00:26   #39

Boat: Tops'l Schooner
Part 2

We get so many supportive comments from people on our blog, from people who are hoping to begin a sailing adventure, from people who have been cruising for some time and have found in us some like-minded friends, from people who would like to sail and read our blog looking for answers to their questions. The thing I have always sought to be on the blog is real – I write about the reality of our life, no fancy-dress, just how it is.

We received a rather critical comment recently, and following it I posted a blog entitled ‘Dreams?’. Following that I was surprised to open my email this morning to find the following rather unpleasant message from a blog reader who wished to communicate with me privately.

HI SUE
PRESENTLY MOTORING BETWEEN XXXXX AND XXXXX - 4AM -BEAUTIFUL NIGHT
HAVE BEEN THINKING A LOT ABOUT YOUR RESPONSE TO MY QUERY AND WHETHER I SHOULD RESPOND TO YOUR BLOG OR JUST FORGET THE WHOLE THING
SO I GUESS THAT I AM ABOUT TO BE LISTED AS AN "ABUSIVE MALE" BECAUSE I FEEL THAT WHAT YOU WROTE WAS JUST A CROCK OF ****.

NOW BEFORE YOU DELETE THIS OR RING YOUR SOLICITOR REFLECT ON THIS
WORSE THAN ABUSE IS INDIFFERENCE
AND YOU SURE CAN'T ACCUSE ME OF THAT
I AM CONCERNED FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HAVING BEEN THROUGH LIVING ABOARD FOR MANY YEARS MYSELF -- ON OUR FIRST ADVENTURE TO PNG BOTH OUR KIDS WERE IN NAPPIES SO I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT - 40 YEARS LATER I HAVE LEARNED A LOT AND AM STILL BEING HUMBLED BY THE SEA AND IT'S ABILITY TO MAKE YOU FACE REALITY.
IT'S NO USE SHIFTING THE GOALPOSTS OR HIDING BEHIND A SMOKESCREEN OF PSYCHOBABBLE.
SURE'YOU HAVE MADE A LOT OF MISTAKES- WE ALL DO- BUT READ BACK SOME OF YOUR EARLIER BLOGS WHEN YOU WERE SO FULL OF ENTHUSIASM -IT TOOK ME BACK 40 YEARS - THEN STEP BACK AND DO AN HONEST ASSESSMENT
IF YOU RECKON QUALITY OF LIFE IS STAYING IN WHAT IS PROBABLY THE CRAPPIEST MARINA ON THE EAST COAST [NO REFLECTION ON THE MANAGER WHO IS DOING HIS BEST] OR THAT YOU CAN PUT OFF SLIPPING ARGUS FOREVER YOU ARE AWAY WITH THE FAIRIES.
I'LL CONTINUE TO FOLLOW YOUR BLOG IN THE HOPE OF SEEING SOMETHING MORE UPLIFTING THAN "STEPS" AND "LAUNDRY"

BETTER GO ON DECK - A BIT OF BREEZE
GOOD LUCK

PS- AND REMEMBER I DO CARE!

I was, as I said a little surprised and yes, a little sad too to think that people would read my blog so critically, and with so little grasp of our intentions and plans! I have chosen to post the email (minus the author’s name and any identifying details) here because I believe in transparency and because I believe the email was sent privately with cowardice and I won’t play that nasty game.

The following is my reply, which I post here to clarify to any other readers who may think like the ablove letter writer that we have abandoned our dream!

Hi again XXXXX,

Well I must say it was quite a shock to read your email this morning
and I feel that you are more than a little confused about our life!

Before I respond to any of your comments I must just say that what
perplexes me the most is why you felt it necessary to continue to read
the blog thinking we are liars or deluded! I would think it’s your
choice what you read and if you don't like my blog, don't read it!

The thing is, we are not 'living' in the Batemans Bay marina! Far from
it! We are eagerly awaiting our departure, which should be in
November.....at which time our first task is to slip Argos at the
Ulladulla slipway (as BB can't take her weight). We came into the Bay
intending to stay a little while. We reconnected with a family soon
after we arrived that I had known in the past, who were trying to
retire here to the coast, hoping to build themselves a new house here.
The fellow wasn't well and a few weeks after we arrived here, he was
diagnosed with MS (primary progressive). He was no longer able to
build his house - and didn't know what to do. Peter stepped in and
offered for us to stay and build them the house. That was a big
decision and meant we had to delay our own plans but you know what, we
have no regrets. We have been a blessing to this family and we are so
glad we were all willing to put our own plans on hold for them.

When we began cruising we had romantic ideas about how we would set
off and sail for months and months.....the reality for most of us long
term live-aboard cruisers is that we spend time in marinas, we stop to
work, we return to our former homes because our children have babies
or 21'sts or weddings.....but this doesn't mean we have abandoned our
dreams! Far from it - this is what gives our dreams longevity!

I make no apologies for writing about what makes our life work....you
are offended by me writing about stairs and washing, but these are the
nuts and bolts of our life right at this moment - and I have always
written honestly. All I can say to you, is if you don't want to read
the honest details of a long-term life of cruising, including the
practicalities of life on board with kids and all manner of mundane
responsibilities, then don't waste your time at watt sailing!

In the interests of transparency I will be including your email in a
blog post, name and identifying details removed of course, along with
my response.

You sign off saying, I do care.....but not quite sure what you care about!

regards, Sue

Oh, and the photo above is of Peter on his recent intrepid trek across from Albany to Auckland - a 40 days and 40 nights saga yet to be fully written about!
Wattsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:09   #40
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsailing View Post
Part 2

I was surprised to open my email this morning to find the following rather unpleasant message from a blog reader who wished to communicate with me privately.
Old people .

TBH I don't read that as unpleasant, just someone likely wedded to their own idea of what "cruising" is about (and perhaps used to be?, pre Jumbo Jet (and electricity?, onboard at least ) - constant travelling to new and off the beaten track places, likely involving lots of brown poor people (they always look grrrreat in photos ) carrying whole life with ya).........whereas nowadays I would venture that "cruising" is about doing WTF you want and what works for you - with no heed to what others may call "real cruising" ......and likely that also includes a large chunk of not being that far away from civilisation ........and doing stuff that does not involve boat. (it's only a boat!), to me would be very strange to live a life based primarily around the type of place you live! - whether ashore or afloat ("I live in an Apartment so I only do Apartment things with my life" )

Different strokes for different folks - if everyone was doing the same life would be boring (afloat or ashore).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43   #41

Where are you at in Greece and where do you plan on spending the winter??
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:14   #42

Boat: Tops'l Schooner
Yeah, good point - you are probably quite right! Thanks for your perspective - Peter and Sue
Wattsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:29   #43

just now in vliho but I have not made firm plans for the winter yet. The rates are cheap in the marinas around lefkas and miginisi so maybe one of those. I may do a month in one and a month in another and so on.

So far there have been so many things that have been a disappointment. The boat was in much worse condition than I expected. I have gotten a lot of things done already and should be under sail in a week. Fitting new fresh water tanks by tuesday. New (additional) solar panels and batteries (trojan; any feedback?) next week as well. Installing a better frig and an ice maker. Should be about set by then.

Need to dye the sails as they have som estains that I dont think wil come out but a nice rustic red will suit the decorum perfectly anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions on that?

I have been on a few deliveries already but nothing really adventurous.

I think the most surpising thing is all the sharks around here. And I dont mean marine life. I am unaccostomed to the culture here both in the land and the sailing community. I have had several people try to take advantage of me while smiling over a beer. I hpope I have held my ground ok.

Cant wait to get more exploring done around here. It is beuatiful.
Cjwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 00:01   #44

If you need to save some money over the winter consider the marina in Mesolongie (sp) in the Corinth Gulf, about 1/2 price compared to most. Why bother dyeing the sails, just good money after bad. Trojan batteries are OK, their 6 volt golf cart batteries are very popular with cruisers. If you hang out in the Ionian Sea you best make sure your engine is good as its pretty light air sailing for that boat of yours. By the way just thinking maybe the red stains in your sails are from the Sahara Desert dust storms that visit that part of Greece each year. We had the same issue but take the sails off and get a power washer and good soap and you'll get most of it out....if thats what it is. Cheers
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 00:25   #45

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I will check out the marina. I have a fully rebuilt 120 hp motor and should be fine with regards to that. It was rebuilt completely last month. Also if the Trojan batteries are just ok what do you suggest? I have a power washer on board and was going to try that first. The stains are rust.

Tags
paracelle