Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 23:26   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: New World Cruising Routes

as an authority on cruising,find the "ROYAL CRUISING CLUB" sadly lacking in respect of the two lesser know trans equitorial routes
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 01:15   #92

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998

Really interesting thread and input guys. I am really liking the "figure of 8" idea. So far the only objection to going RTW from the other half is said Red Sea. I just might get him out of the Pacific with some of these ideas.

Keep the ideas flowing
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 05:46   #93
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
with the majority of boats wanting to visit thailand and malaysia,this route would oblige them to spend 6 months there,then back track to sumatra or bali,and jump off in april may to christmas is or cocos keeling island,or miss out most of se asia,

it also obliges one to spend the cyclone season in nz or australia if coming from the pacific in october,and heading over the top end in may,not leaving much time to visit indonesia.

the reason this trip is so rough is you are heading wsw in to the southern hemispheres winter.

the route i preposed in an earlier post allows one to exit the pacific in october,visit se asia and continue on in good weather via chagos ,madagasgar and mozambique channel,avoiding gales,cold weather and arrives in south africa at the optimum time oct/nov
Atoll, The Mozambique channel is no longer an option due to Pirates . The only way to get to S.A now without the chance of being hijacked is around the bottom of Madagasgar.

www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 06:14   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
though i think cruisers that have just done,15 000 miles downwind bare foot cruising,may have to adopt a different mind set,tension the rigging,check the stitching on the sails before under taking the trip.........

but i guess the same goes for getting around cape town,which is not quite as far south......
Agreed. It's not horrible, and it is doable by the typical RTW cruising boat, but this IS a Great Cape route and you do need to step up your game a notch.

When we did Cape Hope the first time, we did it in company with a Cal 25 and a Van De Stadt 30, neither of which had any trouble, so it is feasible with modest craft.

I have been exploring the Mozambique channel options with several of our friends who have gone via S Africa this year, and gotten very mixed reactions. Some think the Mozambique route is fine and statistically safer than some popular parts of the Caribbean and others disagree citing both local thugs near shore and Somali's offshore and expect more pirate action there next year unless the Navy does something dramatic. All seem to agree that the offshore route south of Madagascar is too windy and wavy to be attractive for the small pirate attack pangas
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 06:17   #95

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
true but not very interesting with few stops
Panama, Marquesas, Tuamotou, FP, Cook Islands, Tonga, New Caledonia, Australia, Christmas, Cocos, Rodriguez, Maurice, Reunion, RSA, Brazil, Guyana, West Indies ...

And you call it few stops and not very interesting!

Now c´mon. It can't be this bad! Better than a cubicle in any case I would say.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 07:10   #96
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
What makes you all think the new cruising routes will remain safe?

Greg
Nothing remains the same, Greg.
Crusing areas come and go and we need flexibility to cope with them.
panama canal is often cited as a potential problem with the Panamanian government trying to exclude small boats all together.

Trinidad has had a great reputation to have boats for the hurricane season, but now there are many people saying they have priced themselves out of business, and theres more security concerns...

So cruisers always have to sort the truth out and be ready to move, or change plans.

However, it also means that new places will be 'discovered' and subsequently entrepenures will see money to be made and services provided....

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 09:43   #97

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

What I don’t understand with some cruisers is that they will bypass exploring a region in detail, because of a “circumnavigation” schedule that I think shortchanges their ultimate experience.
We don't get that, either. We've planned a "five-year circ", because people have asked us to define it, but that's entirely provisional and if we like a place well enough, we'd stay as long as the weather window allowed.

Putting big air quotes around it, I tend to say that my planning accounts for the first year and the last year of voyaging, because we can easily guess which way the bow is pointed at those junctures. But apart from a vague notion of hauling out at some unspecified point in NZ for bottom paint and general overhaul, there is really no game plan. Too much of that and you spoil the circ, I think.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 10:54   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Panama, Marquesas, Tuamotou, FP, Cook Islands, Tonga, New Caledonia, Australia, Christmas, Cocos, Rodriguez, Maurice, Reunion, RSA, Brazil, Guyana, West Indies ...

And you call it few stops and not very interesting!

Now c´mon. It can't be this bad! Better than a cubicle in any case I would say.

b.
technically possible yes,but with 200-250 days at sea,25 stops of 5 days each,not very interesting................
Old 27-02-2011, 11:00   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
Atoll, The Mozambique channel is no longer an option due to Pirates . The only way to get to S.A now without the chance of being hijacked is around the bottom of Madagasgar.

www.byamee.com
using that premis,neither are large parts of the caribean,brazil,malacca strs and central america including panama,yet people still go there..
Old 27-02-2011, 18:27   #100
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

Quote:
using that premis,neither are large parts of the caribean,brazil,malacca strs and central america including panama,yet people still go there..
Yes people do however that does not make it sensible.Given the fact that there was a pirate alert put out just last week of a mothership operating off the top of Madagasgar i cannot see the point of discussing it as a viable route which is unfortunate as i would much rather go that way then around the bottom of Madagasgar.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 02:41   #101

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998

Oh this makes me feel so much better! With "real" sailors here we have started answering the what is your passage plan with the one word answer...North. Because it is almost like you are frowned on for not really having a plan beyond the next landfall.

I am leaving so I don't have to "be" anywhere...that's the point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
We don't get that, either. We've planned a "five-year circ", because people have asked us to define it, but that's entirely provisional and if we like a place well enough, we'd stay as long as the weather window allowed.

Putting big air quotes around it, I tend to say that my planning accounts for the first year and the last year of voyaging, because we can easily guess which way the bow is pointed at those junctures. But apart from a vague notion of hauling out at some unspecified point in NZ for bottom paint and general overhaul, there is really no game plan. Too much of that and you spoil the circ, I think.
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 03:15   #102

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Yes people do however that does not make it sensible.Given the fact that there was a pirate alert put out just last week of a mothership operating off the top of Madagasgar i cannot see the point of discussing it as a viable route which is unfortunate as i would much rather go that way then around the bottom of Madagasgar.
In recent years no private yacht has been attacked or boarded at sea anywhere near Madagasgar. Safety in that area might not be as bad as suggested. There have been robberies of yachts at anchor, some violent.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 03:51   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
having lived in mayotte for a few years,cruised extensively the area,and having family that currently own a hotel on the island,also being in contact with quite a few of the 100 plus yachts that regularly cruise the area,who i am in daily contact with on face book.

as far as i know their is a bit of petty crime,but the only piracy i know occured 500 miles away.

currently a french naval base with 6000 legionaires,and 2 frigates that reglarly patrol the area,im fairly sure i would have heard what you are quoting,but please stay away if you are paranoid.

Tags
cruising