Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 15:37   #1

Boat: Easterly 30 "Between Dreams"
pirate Pensacola to Tampa Area in the Winter

Anybody have any experience making this trip across the Gulf this time of year. I made the trip from Pensacola to Key West a few years back in early spring. I experienced the most beautiful conditions going down and a month later experienced something far less. I will be leaving from Pensacola once again going to the Tampa area (Treasure Island). I hope to leave the first of Feb. I have considered shirting the coast line, but there doesn't seem to be many places to duck in, since all the channels in the big bend area are so shallow. I will probably shoot straight across or take the ICW to Carribelle and then shoot straight across, like I did last time. I would love to hear any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks,

Kevin
cagleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:46   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
Made opposite trip plus last yr.Not a good time,VERY COLS,usually windy /rough.At least the northers will help you.Good luck.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 21:39   #3

Boat: Pearson 424 ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagleco
Anybody have any experience making this trip across the Gulf this time of year. I made the trip from Pensacola to Key West a few years back in early spring. I experienced the most beautiful conditions going down and a month later experienced something far less. I will be leaving from Pensacola once again going to the Tampa area (Treasure Island). I hope to leave the first of Feb. I have considered shirting the coast line, but there doesn't seem to be many places to duck in, since all the channels in the big bend area are so shallow. I will probably shoot straight across or take the ICW to Carribelle and then shoot straight across, like I did last time. I would love to hear any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks,

Kevin
You may have already left by now, but you may want to kook at www.magicseaweed.com site which is a great tool for planning a weather window for Gulf open water trips. There are several uscreens that give you a 7 day window of wind direction, velocity currents storms, etc. It is made for surfers but is a great sailing tool for Gulf crossings. I've used it for years for Gulf Shores to Key West trips. I wish I knew of a similar tool for conditions on the East coast. I would love to have it for our up coming trip from NY to Key West.
Charlie
OneEighty, Pearson 424, #53
CharlieStewart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pensacola