Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 11:47   #1

Power lines at Pokomoke City

I'm planning a trip to Pokomoke City with my 55' air draft sailboat. There is a set of power lines right before town listed at 82' on the chart but the Cruising Guide claims they 57' and Active captain alternately says 57 or 61, none of which acknowledge the discrepancy from the chart. Anyone know the actual height? Depending on the voltage 57 or even 61 is too close for me but 82 would be fine.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 16:18   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Power lines at Pokomoke City

I suggest calling the city marina. I had this very same question, and talked to the personnel charge of the dock who was very condident of the clearance, but I don't recall the height.
Old 17-08-2020, 16:45   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Why would you want to do that on that size boat?

You could go into Onancock and have someone drive you up there or maybe go into Crisfield and take the short drive over

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cris...5!2d38.0756773
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 17:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Why would you want to do that on that size boat?

You could go into Onancock and have someone drive you up there or maybe go into Crisfield and take the short drive over

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cris...5!2d38.0756773
I am interested in the journey through the cypress swamp that makes up the Pokomoke River actually if you must know, it would just be nice to tie up at the city dock with power at the end of that journey.

Why bother to go anywhere on a boat if your could go by car, to take your comment to its logical conclusion? Not sure what your point is there, but singularly unhelpful in answering my question, just so you know.
Old 17-08-2020, 17:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
I suggest calling the city marina. I had this very same question, and talked to the personnel charge of the dock who was very condident of the clearance, but I don't recall the height.
Thanks, that's good advice. I did try that and they apparently lost that institutional knowledge since you were there. But they are working to contact Delmarva power and find the answer for me, so they're definitely trying to help!
Old 17-08-2020, 17:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I am interested in the journey through the cypress swamp that makes up the Pokomoke River actually if you must know, it would just be nice to tie up at the city dock with power at the end of that journey.

Why bother to go anywhere on a boat if your could go by car, to take your comment to its logical conclusion? Not sure what your point is there, but singularly unhelpful in answering my question, just so you know.
Point is it's a tiny little river up to the bridge there in tiny Pocomoke.

Then there's very little there when and if you do get in there.
Old 17-08-2020, 17:50   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I just looked at the raster charts on INavEx. Exact copies of printed charts.

It’s easy to see where the confusion comes from.

The chart indicates 82’.
EXCEPT there is a note A which states 57’.

Going to Google Earth you can see there are TWO sets of power lines crossing at that location. Hard to tell but they look to be at unequal heights. Both are high tension with one being much higher voltage than the other.

So you need to be careful to find out the clearance for BOTH lines.

BTW AquaMap Indicates both 57’ and 82’ clearance. The active captain note on the RR bridge says the power line clearance is 57’.

If I were a betting man I’d say you ain’t gonna make Pokomoke City with the Mother. Ship.

Good luck.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 10:58   #8

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Call the power company! They can tell you the clearance and more importantly, tell you the arcing distance based on the voltage carried in the line. I would not accept information from the marina or anybody else, only the power company! BTW, we took MOJO up to Pokomoke City several years ago - nice trip, quaint little town. Another nice trip is up to Seaford, DE via the Nanticoke River. No power but you can tie up at no charge to the wall right in town.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 16:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I just looked at the raster charts on INavEx. Exact copies of printed charts.

It’s easy to see where the confusion comes from.

The chart indicates 82’.
EXCEPT there is a note A which states 57’.

Going to Google Earth you can see there are TWO sets of power lines crossing at that location. Hard to tell but they look to be at unequal heights. Both are high tension with one being much higher voltage than the other.

So you need to be careful to find out the clearance for BOTH lines.

BTW AquaMap Indicates both 57’ and 82’ clearance. The active captain note on the RR bridge says the power line clearance is 57’.

If I were a betting man I’d say you ain’t gonna make Pokomoke City with the Mother. Ship.

Good luck.
Thank you! That makes perfect sense, at least in terms of explaining the discrepancy. Why they would set the chart up that way is just crazy, but at least I know now. Unfortunately sounds like you're right, not going to happen with this boat.
Old 18-08-2020, 16:49   #10

Wow, looks like some pretty good size sailboats near the "new" bridge in Pocomoke.

Last time I saw the bridge was maybe 1965 or 66! Or maybe 1972 driving as a 15 -16 year old to Salisbury, MD

Now I may have to sail/motor up in there.

I actually found my boat off Pokomoke Sound just North East of Watts Island.

It's 80' deep just East of Watts Island but on the Eastern side of the channel near Red Marker #6 you can walk beside it on low tide! I

have fished that area maybe 40-50 times back in the day for trout (grey trout-weak fish)

We would come out of Chesconessex Creek and head to the western side of the sound to fish in 44'.

Take the right there and head into deep creek and that is where I found my boat at Deep Creek boat yard and marina but I draw 4' so you could only come and go near high tide and the boat was in the mud at the dock during the rest of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pokomoke City Bridge.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	221546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Pokomoke City Bridge.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	221547