Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2022, 14:59   #1

PTown to Pen Bay, ME

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are out on our first big sailing trip. We left Southport, NC at the end of June and have been making our way up the coast since. We’re currently in Onset, MA and transiting the cape cod canal tomorrow morning. Our final destination is Rockland, ME, where we have some friends and hope to find some work to replenish our bank accounts!

As of now, the plan is to jump overnight from Provincetown straight to Rockland. About 140nm. However, we haven’t done any overnights yet, our longest day was about 80nm, and it’s making us a little nervous. I want the overnight experience and think it would be a cool way to end the trip, plus we’re just feeling ready to get there.

We’re 25, the boat is a 1969 Rawson 30. It’s well found and has handled everything very well so far. We would be hand steering the whole way, as we fried our tillerpilot in NC at the start of the trip, but that’s been fine so far. We also know fog can be an issue, and we don’t have radar. We do, however, have AIS, GPS, VHF, good life jackets, jacklines, a sat communicator, and all the CG required safety gear.

My question is, for those who have done this hop, is this a good area for a first overnight passage? Are there any areas to watch out for, or is it a pretty straightforward run? Any words of advice and wisdom are appreciated.

Thanks
Jake
Swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 18:00   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: PTown to Pen Bay, ME

This is a great first overnighter!

I suggest timing your arrival for daylight hours to help with spotting lobster pots, which get thicker as the boat gets closer to the sheltered water at your destination.

We love sailing the ocean, and night is a magical time out there. We would likely stay 15 miles or more offshore for this run just to reduce traffic around us.

As a plan B to have in your pocket, Glouchester Mass and York Maine are places we have enjoyed stopping along the way.
Sparx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 06:04   #3

Sparx,

Thanks for the encouragement. I think we’re gonna go for it. We’re through the canal and in cape cod bay now headed for ptown!
Old 29-07-2022, 06:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
Sparx,

Thanks for the encouragement. I think we’re gonna go for it. We’re through the canal and in cape cod bay now headed for ptown!
Excellent! I hope you have a grand time.

May you see whales today!

The weather forecast suggests departing P Town Sunday afternoon on a direct course to Monhegan Island should be a good sail. If that is enough time in P Town for you.
Old 29-07-2022, 06:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Excellent! I hope you have a grand time.

May you see whales today!

The weather forecast suggests departing P Town Sunday afternoon on a direct course to Monhegan Island should be a good sail. If that is enough time in P Town for you.
Looking at leaving tomorrow afternoon around 1300, how’s that look to you?
Old 29-07-2022, 08:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
Looking at leaving tomorrow afternoon around 1300, how’s that look to you?
Looking at Predictwind I see a pleasant sail in easy conditions. There may be some places where the wind will be light enough to consider the motor. Overall it looks fine to me.