Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 17:58   #31

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra
Re: Quick cruise to James Bay

it could still be a fun trip. I often thought about transporting a boat on the polar bear express train that runs to Moosonee, James Bay and then sailing from there back to civilization.
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 18:05   #32

Boat: Hughes 35 and Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I think all of the Muskol you can buy now (Canada and US) is 30% DEET. The original stuff was a very potent and not very safe chemical. Had some leak in a pocket once and partially dissolve the shell of a Swiss army knife.
You are right. Muskol is 30% deet now. This is the end of an era for me. I found on the net other type though with 99% deet.
pierrrre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 19:40   #33

Boat: macgregor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnston View Post
it could still be a fun trip. I often thought about transporting a boat on the polar bear express train that runs to Moosonee, James Bay and then sailing from there back to civilization.
I looked at that as well. The cost was prohibitive.
MAC-A-TAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 19:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrrre View Post
You are right. Muskol is 30% deet now. This is the end of an era for me. I found on the net other type though with 99% deet.
Have you a product name or a website that you can share?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01   #35

Boat: Hughes 35 and Lagoon 380 S2

I have a bottle in my hand as I type. It is called "Cutter Max 100". It got 98.1% deet. By googling I found this "http://www.backcountry.com/adventure-medical-bens-100-max-deet-tick-insect-repellent". I am sure you can find more by searching "99 deet bug spray".
pierrrre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:33   #36

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnston View Post
Doing that with just a canoe was expensive.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:39   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
For moose flies, I can only recommend a 12 gauge gun....
LOL...I always thought Moose/Horse flies were the same species. Yes, muskol was what I used to use. It was a long time ago so must have been the high strength one. If you can get what the army uses it will work.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:46   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrrre View Post
I have a bottle in my hand as I type. It is called "Cutter Max 100". It got 98.1% deet. By googling I found this "http://www.backcountry.com/adventure-medical-bens-100-max-deet-tick-insect-repellent". I am sure you can find more by searching "99 deet bug spray".
Thank you for the info. I'll be giving it a try. Hope they ship to Canada. Sounds like we need it.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:07   #39

Boat: Rafiki 37

Good luck with the sailing trip. A few years ago we canoed the Missinaibi river all the way to Moosonee/Moose Factory. Actually, we sailed most of the way. After coming off the Canadian Shield we tied the two canoes into a catamaran, hoisted a tall mast (complete with sheeting and reefing) and sailed the Missinaibi and Moose River, all the way to edge of James Bay. It was a wild ride at times, b/c we also ended up running the multiple raps under sail (swifts to class II mostly). Now that's sailing .

Deet is the only way to go with mosquitoes, black flies and horse flies. Doesn't do much against deer/moose flies. I think 30% deet is now the legal max in Canada, but I still have my store of 95% Muskol and Deep Woods. A treasure indeed.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:28   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Good luck with the sailing trip. A few years ago we canoed the Missinaibi river all the way to Moosonee/Moose Factory. Actually, we sailed most of the way. After coming off the Canadian Shield we tied the two canoes into a catamaran, hoisted a tall mast (complete with sheeting and reefing) and sailed the Missinaibi and Moose River, all the way to edge of James Bay. It was a wild ride at times, b/c we also ended up running the multiple raps under sail (swifts to class II mostly). Now that's sailing .

Deet is the only way to go with mosquitoes, black flies and horse flies. Doesn't do much against deer/moose flies. I think 30% deet is now the legal max in Canada, but I still have my store of 95% Muskol and Deep Woods. A treasure indeed.
That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm starting to get really pumped for this trek. Did you find the area to be worth the visit?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43   #41

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC-A-TAC View Post
That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm starting to get really pumped for this trek. Did you find the area to be worth the visit?
I found the communities very interesting, and the geography just plain fascinating. The Missinaibi starts off as a small Shield river, and by the time it hits James Bay is 10+ km across. I've spent most of my canoeing/kayaking time in the Shield, so paddling the Hudson Bay Lowlands was really interesting.

I'm not sure what a sailing trip would be like on James Bay, but I'ms sure it would be well worth the effort.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I found the communities very interesting, and the geography just plain fascinating. The Missinaibi starts off as a small Shield river, and by the time it hits James Bay is 10+ km across. I've spent most of my canoeing/kayaking time in the Shield, so paddling the Hudson Bay Lowlands was really interesting.

I'm not sure what a sailing trip would be like on James Bay, but I'ms sure it would be well worth the effort.
Thanks for this Mike. I've just got off the phone with our third crew member and all seems to be on track. Now it's time to pay attention to the details.

Tags
cruise