Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 09:07   #16

Re: Rude boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Your 'impression 'is wrong. Its the huge influx of machisimo latinos who foul Miami area roads and waterways with their idiotic driving.
I lived there for a short time in late 1968 early 1969, BEFORE in Cuban influx.

The "joke" or the reality, depending on your point of view, was simple: a whole bunch of elderly folks all from different states who most likely also weren't aware of any driving rules even where they came from.

A dangerous mix! Even back then.

Add a different culture to that!

I lived in Iran for 3 1/2 years in the mid-70s. Now THERE was absolute chaos. Made NYC taxi drivers look tame! Beat that!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:42   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Every fantasy I have involves ordnance that is in itself illegal to possess. While "He needed killin'" was a viable defense where I grew up, the laws on assault require an immediate threat. I guess that means you can shoot them when they're coming toward you but not after they pass. I'm afraid the only real answer is stay away and don't let it spoil a day of being on the water.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:24   #18

Thanks for all of the posts in this thread. I'm an American that has not been to the US in 10 years. I left over 22 years ago, but I know the last time I was home as I got a new driver license that finally expired Xmas Eve. You all have added credence to my decision to live my life abroad sailing and working throughout the Caribbean. Yes we get the odd rude bareboater on occasion who decides to drop his hook 10' next to you, or use your mooring while you're out for a day sailing, but this is nothing compared to what I've read in this thread. I especially love the racist posts proving to me that racism is still alive and well in the good ol' us of a. You all have a wonderful new year there in the land of keeping up with the Jones's and I'll keep on exploring and sailing around the Caribbean enjoying my life instead of worrying about rude boaters in America.

Always and Forever,

Jst_A_Rebel.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:28   #19

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
Some of the crabbers on the Chesapeake Bay carry a few 5/8" nuts on board and if they get waked, they will chuck it at their boat. It sounds like a gun shot. They really move out after that.
I'm surprised that they would waste perfectly good 5/8" nuts when most of them have shotguns on board.

As for Annapolis, I've not found it any more or less friendly than any other port, although the die-hard racers, of which Naptown has more than it's share, generally don't wave back because if they did they'd spend the whole day waving.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 21:11   #20
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

I was actually going to start a thread about rude boaters but then I saw yours! I think most boaters are fairly respectful. But then there are those that are ignorant, aren't paying attention, or who just don't care. We were sailing one day last summer around the Charleston area and a boater came whizzing by us and almost clipped us (thankfully he was the only rude one in that area). I would say that I too have seen a disproportionate amount of rude boaters in the Miami area but I've noticed that there are just generally more rude people living/visiting Miami than most other places, too. So I guess the rude boaters are proportional to the number of generally rude people in Miami. Good luck!
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 22:17   #21

Boat: In Between Boats

LOL! You make statements about nationality and classes and then cry racist. Glad you're so much better than everyone else. What a snob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Thanks for all of the posts in this thread. I'm an American that has not been to the US in 10 years. I left over 22 years ago, but I know the last time I was home as I got a new driver license that finally expired Xmas Eve. You all have added credence to my decision to live my life abroad sailing and working throughout the Caribbean. Yes we get the odd rude bareboater on occasion who decides to drop his hook 10' next to you, or use your mooring while you're out for a day sailing, but this is nothing compared to what I've read in this thread. I especially love the racist posts proving to me that racism is still alive and well in the good ol' us of a. You all have a wonderful new year there in the land of keeping up with the Jones's and I'll keep on exploring and sailing around the Caribbean enjoying my life instead of worrying about rude boaters in America.

Always and Forever,

Jst_A_Rebel.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote