Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 05:51   #16

Boat: Boatless
Sailing out of Miami I have checked into Bimini dozens of times and always found it the most convenient of the possible check-in points, especially for going to the Berrys...Only problem is they want you on a dock so that they can board the boat...never boarded once in 25 years of going there!

They have always been polite and helpful, providing I was on a dock. Just go to one of the old marinas and walk to the customs. Do not use the City Dock, it eats boats.

I have also anchored many times and providing you set 2 good anchors Bahama style holding is fine.

Since 'The Compete Angler' burnt down Bimini has lost much of its ambience and most of it's visitors. The new entry due east towards the condos has simplified getting in and now can be done safely at night...providing all the aids to navigation have not floated off since I was last there in April.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:01   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Unless you are in a fast powerboat make that - left the land of ....... a day ago. - And in that much time surely the rum and beer provisions are at a minimal level and need replenishment ...
Morgan's Bluff, Nassau or Chub Cay are the next places where you can check in. Chub Cay is set up for sport fishermen and is reportedly not very friendly to sailboats/cruisers.
- - The big consideration to me is being able to get the full 6 months entry stamp and not a 30-day stamp whereby you need to continually visit the officials to renew your stay. There are check-in places that give you the 6-months no hassles and others that will only give you 30 or 60 days. I do not know about Bimini but normally the "sport fisherman" places give only the 30 days as that is all the sport fishermen want or need. You can request the full time (6 months) but the local official has total discretion to give you only what he wants to give you.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:17   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Now how much provisioning should you need? You just left the land of the Walmarts less than 12 hours ago...
There are people who continually run out of gas. Even though they have an accurate guage? Just passing along knowledge even though it can be useless........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:36   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO 42.1
Update from Bimini. We departed Lauderdale at 5AM with moderate wind on the nose (of course). Wind and waves built thru out the day making for an uncomfortable ride. Arrived Bimiini at 4PM. The "newly dredged" entry channel is barely 6' and shoaling making for a rather scary entrance. We made it in fine and are docked at Bimini Blue Water Marina ($1/ft) which has a very good and helpful staff. Enjoyed a nice dinner at the Anchorage and turned in early. Today we'll rest and explore.
sailing now is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas