Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2017, 14:31   #1

Short Trips in NC & SC

With all the knowledge in this forum, I am hoping to get some suggestions for 2-4 day trips along the coast of NC and SC. My boat is based in Myrtle Beach and I would like to take some short trips up and down the coast, visit some interesting locations and get to do some off-short sailing. Anyone have any good suggestions?
jflynn129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 14:47   #2

Re: Short Trips in NC & SC

Powerboat or sailboat? Makes a big difference in how far you can go per day in what type of boat you have.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 14:48   #3

Crap. You said off shore sail. My bad.

I would do the trip up to the cape fear and up to Wilmington.

Then another trip go off shore to Charleston.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:50   #4

Thank you for the reply! I was looking at Charleston, the city dock there is pretty pricey for an overnight stay. I ordered "Cruising Guide to Coastal North Carolina" by Claiborne Young. It looks to be a little dated but it was the only book I could find on this subject. Hopefully I'll also get some ideas from it. I am surprised at the lack of responses, guess there isn't that much to see along the coast of NC :-)
jflynn129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:56   #5

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull

pamlico and albemarle sounds are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-11-2017, 07:24   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn129 View Post
Thank you for the reply! I was looking at Charleston, the city dock there is pretty pricey for an overnight stay. I ordered "Cruising Guide to Coastal North Carolina" by Claiborne Young. It looks to be a little dated but it was the only book I could find on this subject. Hopefully I'll also get some ideas from it. I am surprised at the lack of responses, guess there isn't that much to see along the coast of NC :-)
That book is dated and Mr. Young passed away so there will be no update. He wrote one for South Carolina and Georgia and it's good and newer. There's a Waterway Guide for the AICW and it covers the Carolinas and side trips.

As for the Charleston City Marina being "pricey", their rates are comparable with other marinas in Charleston. Marinas in desirable areas often charge more than marinas in out of the way places.

Being in Myrtle Beach, you can head south to the Waccamaw River and then offshore at Georgetown. Georgetown is a nice place to visit (go to Harborwalk Marina right downtown, not the larger marina outside of town).

The Waccamaw River is arguably the prettiest part of the entire AICW and there are lots of nice anchorages as well as a few marinas.

If you haven't joined Active Captain, join and use the live map to look at places to go.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:17   #7

I live in Atlantic Beach on Bogue Sound. the ICW is right here and allows a lot of opportunity for some great 2/3 day passages. Places I recommend are Beaufort (the one in NC), Oriental, Ocracoke, Edenton, Elizabeth City, New Bern and Washington. These are all great destinations that are easy to get to.
SeaEsta04 is offline   Reply With Quote