Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2020, 14:12   #1

Boat: 1988 Cal 33-2
Single hand from Hampton Va to Rockport Maine

I plan on making a solo sail from Hampton Virginia to Rockland Harbor Maine. Sailing from Hampton to Martha’s Vineyard, thru the canal. Not sure if I should hug the coast or just sail direct. Have only previously sailed as far as Block Island.
romeroarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 15:42   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Single hand from Hampton Va to Rockport Maine

Are you asking if you should hug the coast after the canal? I'm guessing that is what you are asking if you've already been as far as Block Island.

We took the direct route last summer and it is pretty straightforward. Little traffic after you pass abeam Provincetown. If motoring, or if your keel or rudder is prone to snagging stuff, I would not go past perhaps 10 miles SW of Monhegan at night as the lobster traps start popping up in surprisingly deep water and you are likely to wrap one up in your prop in the dark.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 23:58   #3

Ended up sailing only as far as Hampton to Marblehead b/c my Raymarine linear drive quit on me and I had to hand steer for about 18 hours. Replaced the part (thanks Defender) and drove up to Maine to spend time with my family, who drove up.

Sailed back home to Hampton from Marblehead, with the working Autohelm, with a stop at Sandwich marina.

Gotta tell you...I HATE Buzzards Bay! Too much fog, too many Scallop boats without AIS, that don’t obey the rules of the road, and lobster pots in the channel. Next time, going around Cape Cod!
Old 20-08-2020, 04:01   #4

Thanks so much for the follow-up, Romerarms!

I often wonder about how an OP got on with the advice they'd received from the Forum.

Sounds like Buzzard's Bay is not your cup of tea.

Gratefully,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 07:52   #5

Being from Hampton Va, my main cruising area is the Chesapeake Bay, I can count on there being a line of crab pots, that once you pass the line, your free of them and can sail unimpeded. Also, the pots are not located in the channels.

I arrived in Marblehead at night, and decided to motor sail, following the red/green channel markers, staying as close to the red marks as I could. Well I ran over several lobster buoys that were placed right next to the markers!! That would never fly in the Chesapeake.
Old 20-08-2020, 09:21   #6

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

Sea Shield makes a cutting head incorporated with the shaft zinc. It saved me from having to go over the side when I found an abandoned line.
Turtle Blues is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine, single