Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 05:29   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
#1B) would it be more constructive for you to be doing things a different way?

Quote:
#1B has been very clearly answered here: many people are thinking that your posts seem to be better suited to a personal blog, which is very easy to set up. If you can post them here, you can post them on your own blog.
Good point - Whilst I said no objection (and I hope Skip stays or at least doesn't leave from feeling bullied out)..........in Skip's shoes I would not bother with CF and stick with a Blog and an occassional foray into the Forums as internet allows. But I do have a lazy streak a mile wide

Of course the fact that everyone (and his dog) has a Blog does not make them compulsory, but they do have a conveniance (even for those with restricted bandwith / occassional internet access). In general though I do find Blogs dull so am not a follower of the "art form" .

A bit of tasteful spamming with your new Blog over a few Sailing Forums and a link in your signature should kick start the readership - if the Blog is of use the readers will follow, eventually (if I was cruising in your area I am sure I would be looking as although rather too wordy (I too have that curse ) the posts look like they contain some useful info for those in / visiting the areas).

Finally , I was originally very puzzled as to why Skip's (B)log attracted such a negative response from some - but realised I too had got (and given ) pretty much the same reaction on INDY's $500 dollar cruising thread (minus sending any PM I might add ).............the main negative effect of posting Blog style on a Forum is the reader can get the feeling of being spoken (lectured?) at, rather than being engaged with. Unfair perhaps, but nonetheless might account for the reaction of others?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:09   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
you folks take yourselves WAY to seriously. I post a joke about all this and it gets wacked.

Lighten up fer pete's sake.
Did I miss something? This appears to be your first post on this thread.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:20   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Did I miss something? This appears to be your first post on this thread.

Mark
Those Pirates get about a bit................they seem to have kidnapped a light hearted post I wonder if it will get released soon?

Of course some cultures (no names ) without an irony gene may have taken it literally. But better safe than sorry I guess
Old 03-06-2010, 06:56   #34

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Thanks, David, clipped for bandwidth - since yesterday afternoon, being active here, among other web-based activities, over 400MB has been used of our 750MB allotment (where, by comparison, my logs, in email or rec.boats.cruising are usually about 25-30K and any responses or quick questions usually well under 5K)...

I'll get my son the Google wizard on the blog issue. But, the reality is that I'll likely not be back if I go to that format, as bandwidth is simply too challenging under way or at anchor, the Evanses, Jacks and others notwithstanding.

Relating to a prior, now eliminated post, I MUST ASSIMILATE! I wish I'd put up a smiley, cuz I got it, entirely. Perhaps the world will migrate, as technology advances, where bandwidth can be achieved more readily. Certainly, in the rare occasions I'm ashore, and am not running around like a blue-arsed fly, I DO browse and chip in on other threads.

As to negativity, I'm thick skinned, and, appreciate dark humor, so I'm not bothered about that part. It's why I simply posed the question as I did, looking for input. And, on which subject, while I saw a glimpse of it, I think, I've lost the point of reference - is there, in fact, a section where logs are more appropriate, whether or not there's a lot of activity there?

Thanks, y'all. I gotta get off while we still have some megabytes left, for some research on stuff we need when we get ashore again in a month or so.

L8R

Skip
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:27   #35

Hi, Y'all,

The dust seems to have settled :{))

I get from this discussion:

Maybe a poll is better? I've never used one, so can't begin to imagine how that works. I presume there's no chatter, just a click of one way or the other.

Maybe a blog is better? I'm working on it with my son the Google expert, and another cruising friend. Hoonose? I may like it better, even. Certainly, I expect, once the startup energies are expended, it will cut my energy output (no bots here, just this old man). However, as discussed in this thread, the only reason I'm here, due to bandwidth, usually, is that I'm posting something, and, in the rare instances I have the time and bandwidth, browse and sometimes get involved in other discussions. Without that (blogs making this redundant), the reality, sad as it might be, is that likely I'll not be back. If this were a text-based, in-my-inbox -capable place (AS WELL), I'd likely be all over it. In that case, as noted by a poster here, you'd get to know me a great deal better :{))

Enough folks emphatically say that they like seeing my log postings that I'll at least put up the last one (now very much out of date in immediate terms), saved for here and the other couple places it doesn't appear in real time.

I'm still waiting for the presumed better spot within CF, if there is one. I'm about to lose/leave my good internet connectivity, so any who care to are encouraged to drop me a line at skipgundlach@gmail.com. I may not be able to respond to PMs (or any posts) for some time once we're gone.

And, an aside that I lost in the bandwidth rush, but which came up when I opened a different browser (which saves my work), further to pissing off FSMike only because I was at Staniel, this is what I'd intended to say about that, rather than what appears above:

Our supper was one of those very infrequent splurges following the fantastic visit to Thunderball Grotto (see most recent log) at the SCYC, where the burgers were perfect, the fries to die for, and the nurse sharks in a feeding frenzy off the cleaning dock. On the way in, we saw a HUGE ray, at least 5' across, cruising the area we approached. On the way to check out the fuel dock for a bit of gasoline (they were closed), someone cleaning masses of Mahi tossed me a handful; we had that for dinner last night, and the remainder being made for a dip tonight with our buddy boat as they cook dinner aboard chez them.

Sorry to further piss you off :{))

L8R, y'all

Skip, putting up the last log in my queue in a minute or two
Old 04-06-2010, 06:39   #36

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Aaarrghh.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:07   #37

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
The Flying Pig got trolled into defending his logs? HOGWASH!

Personally, I like reading his logs and they appear to me to be posted in the proper sub-forum. Change the name of the sub-forum so that its not so inviting or misleading to those that want to share no matter in what detail.

Yes, Skip writes in his own style which happens to be in great detail. So the f*&% what? Dont read it if it is not to your liking. Complaining about positive contributiuons has the negative effect of making everyone question themselves, for the wrong reasons, before posting anything.

The problem I have with the whole mess is censorship by group intimidation or in the least passing of group judgement. One guy cries and complains, six others join in and the supposed offender is railed out of town never to return. Kinda shitty thing to have happen on a forum that prides itself on being friendly.

Anyway, have a nice day!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:41   #38

And furthermore :{))

This, from another forum where the same sort of discussion occasionally surfaces, from an email sent (hallelujah, only 3K for the entirety of his note, most of which was on another matter):

> Enjoy your logs - I read them as soon as they show up. Thanks for letting
> me cruise the Bahamas in my imagination.

Phhhhllllllbbbbbbbttt :{))

L8R, y'all. Still connected, and no wind, so I'm browsing. You might hear from me on other threads here and in other subforums

Skip, with whom you're stuck, at least for a while (barring admin upset to the contrary)

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery !
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
and/or http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to
make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

(Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)
Old 04-06-2010, 10:12   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Complaining about positive contributiuons has the negative effect of making everyone question themselves, for the wrong reasons, before posting anything.

Of course people should question themselves before posting! Who wants reams of crap spewed across the forum when trying to read intelligent stuff from folks like Surveyor.

I implore people to question themselves! Either write with facts, an enquiring mind, or with humor. But NOT unbalanced balderdash that some other folks write (not including Skip in here)... Sailing is a potentially dangerous pastime and when loonies write without thinking they may be putting more gullible people at risk.

I know most of the peddled drivel on here and can avoid it, however some newer person to cruising may just try to cruising on $500 per month or set out to circumnavigate the world on $15,000 including the cost of the boat, and end up dead!

If an idiot lets his mind vomit on CF and someone is killed then we can't just laugh and turn a blind eye. Its up to someone to make sure people do question themselves before writing stuff

As for Skip, he ask peoples opinions. I think the answer is quite clear and he should shove his rambles on a blog like the rest of the world. If he wants to contribute to CF in a 'normal' manner then I am delighted for him to do so. Yes I can put him on "Ignore" but I would prefer he censor himself But thats just my personal opinion. The opinions of the management may differ...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:44   #40
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If he wants to contribute to CF in a 'normal' manner then I am delighted for him to do so. Yes I can put him on "Ignore" but I would prefer he censor himself But thats just my personal opinion. The opinions of the management may differ...
Not entirely sure what "normal" is but no need to put Skip personally on ignore - you simply put that sub-forum on ignore.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:02   #41
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not entirely sure what "normal" is

LOL Yes, I had a bit of difficulty with that so I thought a few ""s would help.

Then I thought of you David and realised I needed more """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Actually I never look in the particular forum. I just get the new posts.

Maybe I need to go look at the front page again.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I know most of the peddled drivel on here and can avoid it
CF even provide a handy link to those posts .

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...archid=1175272

Quote:
however some newer person to cruising may just try to cruising on $500 per month or set out to circumnavigate the world on $15,000 including the cost of the boat, and end up dead!

Or end up...............having fun whether or not they acheive their original financial goals.

I am not my brother's keeper, IMO if someone wants to head off into the Wide Blue Yonder on an inflatable lilo based solely on what they have read on an internet forum then good luck to them . Me? I'm going in a pea green boat, with some honey, and plenty of money - all wrapped up in a five pound note .........in this part of the (still free ) world both approaches are legal - which folks around here know ain't the same as "good idea" ........might be cultural issues going on with that one though

Quote:
If an idiot lets his mind vomit on CF and someone is killed then we can't just laugh and turn a blind eye. Its up to someone to make sure people do question themselves before writing stuff

The alternative to having "someone" think for you is............to think for yourself, in this case when reading. It's an internet forum - not claiming to be tablets of stone from the lord god almighty with the answers to life, the universe and everything (yeah, I know it's 42 ).
Old 04-06-2010, 11:11   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Actually I never look in the particular forum. I just get the new posts.
If you put the sub forum on ignore the posts don't appear in new posts
Old 04-06-2010, 11:11   #44

Hey! This is great. As a total newbie I would never have found this sub-sub-forum if MarkJ hadn't flagged it up for me.

It's full of great stuff. I just knew I could get by on $500 per month and that gives me 30 months (= $15,000) to get round the world. I knew I could do it. All those other folks just want me to fail.

Now.... where did I put the boat?
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 13:09   #45

Quote:
As for Skip, he ask peoples opinions. I think the answer is quite clear and he should shove his rambles on a blog like the rest of the world. If he wants to contribute to CF in a 'normal' manner then I am delighted for him to do so. Yes I can put him on "Ignore" but I would prefer he censor himself But thats just my personal opinion. The opinions of the management may differ...
See my recent "contributions" scattered around - and note that I'm currently investigating blogs...

L8R

Skip, still becalmed, bumused, but only somehat whildered and not much bothered :{))

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery !
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
and/or http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.

>>Stamp out Sesquipedalianism<<

Tags
logs