Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2020, 09:34   #1

Boat: 1997 Navigator 4200 Classic
Southern Florida Route Advice Needed

In April, we plan to take our daughter and son-in-law on a two week cruise, circumnavigating the lower half of Florida. Our home port is Bradenton FL and we want to cross the Okeechobee Waterway, cruise Hawk Channel along the keys and then make the open water passage between Key West and Marco Island. I have cruised all of this route, except the open water leg. I don't know if we should travel clockwise or counter-clockwise. We have a 42' Navigator piltothouse with twin Volvos and range of 400+ miles with reserve. We cruise at 8 knots but can get up to 20+, if needed. Should I cruise south from Marco Island or north from Key West? Thank you in advance !
BlondieII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 09:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Southern Florida Route Advice Needed

I would go north to south. If you head south to north expect evening t-storms at end of the run in the afternoon/evening. If you go north to south, you will be south of the mainland of Fl and have a lower chance of storms in the afternoon and evening.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 12:24   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Personally, in April, I don't think it will matter too much which route you take.

April and May are about the best times of the year to cruise around here. The northern cold fronts should wind down and we won't actually be in the rainy season yet as to have to worry about afternoon thunderstorms.

Also, depending on your draft, if needed, you can tuck in at Little Shark River, Turkey Key or Indian Key Pass.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 12:46   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I'll just add this tidbit.

The prevailing winds that time of year will be S/SE. Making the trip from the east coast to Key West much more enjoyable than heading from KW up to the east coast.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 13:21   #5

Boat: Formosa 41

I’ll second what @Davey J just said.

We have found Key West very difficult to get out of in April/May heading East then towards the north in either Hawk Channel or outside the reef.

The winds are rarely in our favor for such a trip.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 09:26   #6

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I’ll second what @Davey J just said.

We have found Key West very difficult to get out of in April/May heading East then towards the north in either Hawk Channel or outside the reef.

The winds are rarely in our favor for such a trip.
And I will second Jason who seconded Davey 😊. Having wind and waves astern also means being more able to go out of Hawks Channel to avoid the crab pots. The current close to shore is either negligible or you might have a slight counter current in your favour. But inside is nice as well. Of course this is from a sailing point of view.

Entering places on the west coast in the afternoon you will have the sun behind. The TCs are incredibly well forecasted both as to time and place but coming from Bradenton you know all that.

Jim sv Gaia
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 10:30   #7

Boat: KP 46

Down the east coast to Key West is normally ely wind.

I would look at adding a stop in the Dry Tortugas, great place to snorkel and explore. Good anchorages and lots of history and good snorkling.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, route