Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2016, 20:02   #31

Re: The call of distant shores fading ?

Hi Salticrak,

I think there is a combination of things that may make extended cruising not so desirable and you have mentioned some of them. It is so easy and cheap in the First World to travel now it has taken some of the shine off it. My wife thinks I'm mad to want to travel thousand of miles in a boat when you can get there in a fraction of the time and a fraction of the cost in an aircraft. However for me getting there is a large part of the experience and of course once there it is pretty cheap to live if at anchor and it is a life style that I really enjoy.

I always had this aspiration to sail around the world for as long as I can remember. Now I actually have the resources to do so more or less I am reconsidering for maybe similar reasons. The Red sea has been a no go for me at least for the last 15 years due to piracy. Now that has calmed down all the unrest in Europe coupled with religious extremism and what that does to usually reasonable people has put me off again from that route and further afield. I would love to see the Med but don't think the risk is worth taking. Being a casualty of someone protecting the honour of their sky fairy would to me be the saddest and most pointless way to go. Being in Australia we are actually quite lucky in that some of the best cruising grounds (in my opinion) and relatively least westernised cultures are close by such as New Guinea, Solomons, Fiji and Vanuatu. At least the South Pacific is still quite safe from the affects of Piracy and Terrorism and it is at our doorstep. That is where I will be likely constraining my cruising grounds for the foreseeable future.

It is easy to become cynical and age doesn't help but maybe that is because as you get older you start seeing through the bull##it and can put things in perspective. I know that is where I am at and my prognosis for the natural world is at rock bottom right now. At least on a sailboat you have the wherewithal to get out and see these places before they are gone so make the most of it.

regards

Andrew
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 21:26   #32

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
good god. Australia would be an awesome sail.
It's got it all mate.

If you like long distances with remote places sail up the Western Australian coast from Fremantle to Broome, on the way call at the Abrolhos Islands and whilst there read Hugh Edwards Wreck on the Half Moon Reef and Islands of Angry Ghosts and other than a few fisherman's shacks it is still the same as when the East Indiamen were wrecked there.

There is not a town between Broome and Darwin but this stretch takes in the Kimberlies which are not only remote but starkly beautiful with a rugged coast line, all bays and a couple of fairly spectacular rivers.

Darwin has a brutal climate but very friendly people and very welcoming yacht clubs. It is the jumping off place for rallies to Asia which often include eighty to a hundred boats. Broad mix of nationalities and lots of socializing.

Darwin to Cooktown takes in a lot of remote anchorages with varied cruising conditions. The stretch from Cape York to Cooktown is all inside the Great Barrier Reef.

From Cooktown south about a thousand miles it's all islands and pretty bays with a couple of inland straits thrown in. The Hinchenbrook Passage is pretty mangrove bound but there are mountains on either side and the bottom end is fairly spectacular with cliffs straight up out of the sea.

The Narrows inside Curtiss Island is all mangroves but it has 5 metre tides and you go over a spot which dries about two and one half metres.

Mangroves generally have itchy bites which are a nuisance but they are also great places for fish and mud crabs.

I tend not to go any further south than the Great Sandy Straits because it's too civilized. Have been going up and down with an occasional trip further afield since 2001 and have yet to become bored with it.

There are a number of things to keep in mind.
One of the problems with getting old is that yours lusts and passions subside, keeping life interesting enough that you still want to live it is important.

You don't buy and sail a boat about because you want to get somewhere, you buy it so that you can pursue a healthy, outdoor lifestyle. Really it does not matter where you go, it's all in the doing.

Familiar anchorages are like old friends, it's always good to see them again.

There's no place like home, particularly if it has ten thousand miles of coast line.

Etc, etc, etc
I don't go down and along the southern coast line, It's too interesting?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 22:39   #33

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

It sounds like you are going through that change in life for men. It is a hormonal change associated with aging. I wouldn't put too much weight on your mind about this. I know that I don't feel the same about risk vs rewards as I did when I was young man. Some of the lines I used to ski at Heavenly or Kirkwood as a 40 year old in the tight chutes...I look at now and wouldn't even do it for a thousand dollar if someone tempted me. God made us this way. I can accept that I have changed. I accept that I will continue to change. It is our biological blue print.

Look, mate, we all have a lifespan that is dictated by genetics and life styles. Enjoy what remains of your life any way you feel is the best for you. If it seems to much and the reward doesn't measure up against the effort...well....

I know I am mid-60's now and I just want to coastal sail. When I was in my 40's I was broke getting kids off of the payroll. In my 50's I was rebuilding my finances. Now I am almost wore out with work life and long only to sail coastal venues all over my beautiful hemisphere. It is enough for me.

Main thing... don't worry about it. Just go about your life and enjoy what you have and do what makes you happy.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 01:53   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I just cleared into the U.S. at Miami from South America and with their new Pass Port readers, etc. I t didn't take more than 10 minutes. Quick and no hassle!
You talking about Global Entry? Saves a TON of time arriving in the US.
Old 20-03-2016, 02:07   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just a comment, here, Salticrack has not been back since he posted the thread. I, for one, would like to hear what he has to say.

A.
Old 20-03-2016, 02:17   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by elandra65 View Post
Hi Salticrak,

I always had this aspiration to sail around the world for as long as I can remember. Now I actually have the resources to do so more or less I am reconsidering for maybe similar reasons. The Red sea has been a no go for me at least for the last 15 years due to piracy. Now that has calmed down all the unrest in Europe coupled with religious extremism and what that does to usually reasonable people has put me off again from that route and further afield. I would love to see the Med but don't think the risk is worth taking. Being a casualty of someone protecting the honour of their sky fairy would to me be the saddest and most pointless way to go. regards
Andrew
All I see here are excuses. We have heard similar - I can't do it because of XYZ so many times that it just gets old. I am not sure why you don't want to go as only you in your heart know that and no one else.

We have sailed the Med for the past 3 years and looking forward to the 4th. We have wintered over in Tunisia and Turkey, traveled throughout the Balkans and Tunisia. Last year we sailed over 1,800nm and visited over 40 ports of call and met who knows how many great people.

Life is a risk and let's face it your tolerance for risk is fairly low while ours is a little higher but not as high as say BoatMans - As for age I am 70 and the admiral is 69 - another of your excuses -

When we quit sailing someday we will look back at our pics, flags, and charts and say hey remember when we sailed into that port and the great people we met. While you remember sailing around that special point for a nice anchorage we will remember the hundreds of friends we made and great experiences we had.

Take a series look in the mirror and confess to yourself why you don't want to leave the comfy of your home for a new adventure -- are your a whooose or just another of the I want to but @#$%^% keep me from doing it which is just an excuse.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 05:43   #37

The worlds affairs and the floating clouds-why question them??
Heres a RX To try:
Turn off the bad news for 30 days and get back to me April 20.
Today, the first day of spring, sounds like a good time to create something NEW in your life my friend!
Peace your way!
TraderJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 05:58   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The call of distant shores fading ?

Or.. Today is the 1st day of the rest of your life.. make it a special birthday..:biggrin:

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 06:20   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The call of distant shores fading ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Just a comment, here, Salticrack has not been back since he posted the thread. I, for one, would like to hear what he has to say.

A.
Speaking of 'Distant Shores'..
Any news on Wotties adventure round the bottom of Tassie.. hope he's not copping that bad weather you mentioned the other day..
As for Salticrak.. hopefully he's out on the Tiki sucking it up.. its what they're made for..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 06:32   #40

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by elandra65 View Post

(...)

I always had this aspiration to sail around the world for as long as I can remember. Now I actually have the resources to do so more or less I am reconsidering for maybe similar reasons. The Red sea has been a no go for me at least for the last 15 years due to piracy. Now that has calmed down all the unrest in Europe coupled with religious extremism and what that does to usually reasonable people has put me off again from that route and further afield. I would love to see the Med but don't think the risk is worth taking.

(...)
Andrew,

If the dream is SAILING around the world then believe me or not but oceans have changed little since we were younger. They are out there: beautiful, vast, indifferent and and ready for our sailing folly.

Religion is a by product of human intelligence, and so is sailing. You do not have to go thru the Red Sea to get to the Med and not everywhere in the Med people went nuts about whose god is the only one. Unrest is widespread and not geographically located anymore. Also Australia has seen her share of religious terrorism.

And so, while there is nothing new under the sun on the dry land, the oceans still offer a blue open highway to all those who believe in the wind.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 06:41   #41

Boat: Catalina 470

The enemy of a great life is a good life.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 08:31   #42

Boat: Lagoon 40

Interesting post. I travel a lot with work and to be honest, I am over it. The airlines have you hooked into their "frequent flyer" programs addicted to amassing points - same now with the hotels, and service/convenience levels have plummeted.

So the boat is the best way out and still travel the world. I am not one for giving advice, but here are a couple of things I have done that help:
  1. get rid of cable TV or satellite - disconnect from forced media;
  2. if you want to watch TV, watch on your terms - Netflix, YouTube etc. YouTube has been a great sailing resource and motivator for me;
  3. turn all the alerts off on your cell phone and if you can, turn the thing off completely at certain times; and
  4. get out and sail more - short trips building to longer ones
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 09:41   #43

Boat: wharram tiki 26

g'day all.

Wow,what a great response to my musings,this is the best of C.F. for sure. For those that may not know,I built a wharram tiki 26 a few years ago,but due to financial constraints and regular visits from the dreaded black dog she sits 99.9% completed,waiting for me to get my **** together.

I built this boat whilst awaiting a final decision on permanent residence status,this took all of ten years.I now have residence. Those familiar with Aussie bureaucracy may have an inkling as to what is involved. But all the frustrations and expense have been worth it,for this is a great country.

I left South Africa,joining my other family members here. We where a farming family in S.A. the inevitable violence that is the scourge of that land cost the life of one family member and nearly another.
I was in the armed forces and like many have witnessed the fog of war, this opened my eyes to the depravity humans are capable of. Yet I have seen the goodness too,people with bugger all sharing what they have in fleeting intersections on the roads we travel thru life.

Being an avid offshore kayak fisherman I have a great love of the ocean. It makes my heart sing.

I have read every post on here,I thank you all for your considered opinions.It truly has touched me deeply.
It has made me question my motivations and for this I am greatful to y'all.Things are looking up,I will launch my boat this southern winter.I will learn to sail her
Yes Australia is a wonderful part of the world to cruise,overwhelmingly the people are good sorts,their humour sustains me. And who knows? The call may grow louder.
Thank you.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 14:44   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thanks for coming back, Salty, (sorry, couldn't help myself! )

Well, we all lose momentum from time to time, and I think, if you let yourself, there may be some joy in finishing the necessary bits of the 1% remaining that you promised yourself. Certainly launch day will be one to celebrate! Send us pix, mate!

By the way, there are places to get "stuff" for boat jobs further north in Qld. You needn't stay stuck, but sail some, finish some.

Happy sailing,

Ann

an afterthought: the inter-relationship between age and sailing is strange, but, for me, as long as I can cope with the problems I have --on the boat--, I believe I'm better off on the water than land. Jim, a little older than me, and both of us older than you, says he'll only leave the boat if he's dragged, kicking and screaming, away.

On edit: About the issue of the call of distant shores fading, that happened to us, too. Mostly, it was because of medical issues intervening over and over again that quashed the circumnavigation idea for us, coupled with the realization that we are not as strong crew as we once were. We have been content to sail in the "South Pacific eddy" for quite a while, now.
There are many styles of cruising, and one invents their own. One time, in Havannah Harbor in Vanuatu, there was a little red Wharram cat, living on the beach for a while, but they'd got there on their own bottom. Might not be your sort of destination, but you get the point, I'm sure.
Old 20-03-2016, 15:38   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I was in the news biz, about half of it spent overseas. I used to tell my worried parents: "It's never as bad as it looks on TV."

Tags
cal