Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2016, 15:35   #16

Boat: Able 50
Re: Turkey to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Obviously.......

My point is that it won't get cheaper. If the purchase is recent enough and they believe that the price was genuine and the boat has not undergone upgrades to increase it's value, then they will use the purchase price is my understanding. They will certainly not allow depreciation because you take a few extra months.
The voyage via Panama could take a year. Stretch that to two or three years and you can depreciate the tax. They might save $10,000 or something in tax.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 15:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The voyage via Panama could take a year. Stretch that to two or three years and you can depreciate the tax. They might save $10,000 or something in tax.
There is no depreciation allowance. The best you can hope is that it is so long since you purchased it that they require a valuation based on the Australian market price (less taxes & shipping) and that the price is lower in Aus than in Turkey.
Old 16-08-2016, 16:00   #18

You are just speculating. The Australian government has no set period for depreciating duty . . . or not.
Old 16-08-2016, 16:50   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Based on my experience importing into Oz..... survey on arrival to determine value... if close to the stated purchase price then they may use the purchase price .. then again they may not. As the nice customs lady said.... 'we find that yachts tend to appreciate quite a bit on their way to Australia.........'

NZ? Two years ago..... my declared value for customs was $X..... customs man said 'when you passed through 10 years ago you said it was worth $2X'

'Yes but that was 10 years ago, its old and buggered'

'$2X'

and $2X was what went on my TIE and that was what I would have paid duty on if I decided to stay beyond 2 years.......
Old 16-08-2016, 16:58   #20

Quote:
I can't be specific without seeing the boat but these are possibilities.

spare anchor, extra chain, extra rode, jacklines, harnesses, harness anchor points, quality lifejackets, spare propane tank plus mounting, jerry cans for diesel plus mounting, rebuild kit for every pump on the boat, service both diesels, all kinds of spare light bulbs, spare sails, maybe upgrade chartplotter depending on what is there now, add AIS, buy galley stuff, buy groceries (that's a 3 day job when you start from zero), service autopilot, strip and rebuild heads, buy linen and blankets, test compasses and maybe pay for turning, inspect all fixed and running rigging, buy engine spares like oil filters, oil, impellers, make up anchor bridle and/or snubber, buy dinghy and outboard, paint bottom, fit SSB . . . . . that'll do.

Maybe some of the other boat systems don't work and need replacing but I can't be specific there. Whatever needs doing, what point is there in sailing past a place with cheap labor so you can hurry to a place with expensive labor. On top of that the Australian tax man will be there waiting at the dock with his hand out. The later the boat arrives the cheaper the tax gets.
Most of that list is 'shopping'

Slip, antifoul, replace all standing rigging, change engine oil, change engine impellers, run and test everything..... 7 days.... 14 max.
Old 16-08-2016, 17:21   #21

Were you a boatyard manager in a previous life ?

" . . . 14 days max . . . " meanwhile two months later. As the Australian saying goes "she'll be right".

Old 16-08-2016, 17:35   #22

Quote:
The Australian tax man will be wanting 15%, payable immediately, plus a few potential extras. There are plenty of threads on this if you want the details.

Sailing to Spain early might be a good idea. That would allow them to figure out what needs immediate attention. I don't know the boatyard labor costs in Spain or the Canaries but I do know that labor in Australia costs plenty.
all good points savoir. I know the tax man will have his nose in the trough, do they also tax the delivery costs? and when they value the boat do they value it on the price you would get in oz.

Thanks for your feedback
frankie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 17:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
A wheelbarrow would be more use on board than either of the above

Oh dear, now you've done it......
Yeah I know, since I told my seafaring friends that I want to buy a cat in Turkey and sail to Australia I've been the brunt of all the jokes.

My brother is a naval architect so I've got all the calculations ready showing a properly built cat has a greater roll moment than a monohull. Don't get me started but if a cat does fall over it is actually more stable with the mast acting as a sea anchor.

Thanks for your post
frankie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 18:37   #24

The Australian customs rules are deliberately vague but the usual thing is for them to tax you on the delivery costs of your final leg. If you are not using a skipper that won't be a whole lot. The longer you take to show up the better your chances are of being taxed on a valuation in Australian dollars.

Here is the best thread on the subject. Dragon Lady was a thorough guy and wrote about everything in a very clear fashion.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...alia-3346.html
Old 16-08-2016, 19:01   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Savior, do you have a bug up your ass tonight?

Why all the BS posts?

He doesn't need all the crap on he boat you're blathering on about and Tax is quite easy, on the net, doesnt include delivery costs except from the last port before arrival.
They are quite good and calm about it.

Apart from that the whole cruise is a milk run if you get out of the Med early.

Its just not that difficult

And its ENJOYABLE!!!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 19:11   #26

Big night at the pub was it ?
Old 16-08-2016, 20:09   #27

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

When friends of mine imported their yacht into Australia, they got an importer who knew the ropes of the importation process, and he was able to get the value of the yacht significantly down and saved my friends lots of money. That was quite a few years ago, and things may have changed in the interim.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 20:38   #28

'Here is the best thread on the subject. Dragon Lady was a thorough guy and wrote about everything in a very clear fashion.
Importing a Boat to Australia'

Oh Dear..... 50+ pages.....

This is the relevant document.... same today as it was 22 years ago.... except GST has replaced sales Tax... https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/...orting-a-yacht

and the relevant part is ....

'In these instances the yacht will have to be valued by a marine surveyor in Australia. This valuation will be based on the market value and as such will include elements such as customs duty and GST. We'll have to deduct these elements plus overseas transport from the local valuation.
Where the yacht is sailed to Australia, overseas freight will be determined having regard to essential sailing costs incurred under the most commercially viable conditions. Such costs would include sailing expenditure necessarily incurred while the vessel is actually sailing (and entering and leaving) those ports of call on the most commercially viable route. It would not include any in port expenditure related to the vessel's period of stopover.'

Getting it to Oz is a deduction not an add on.

The only way you will get 'depreciation' is if the yacht looks shagged when it arrives and the valuation reflects this.... ( One forum member made this work maybe 14 years ago when importing a boat into Hobart.... ).

I can see this working if you had owned a boat from new and arrived in Oz maybe 10 years later... they would use the valuation method and this would, most likely , come in at less than new price.

Big 'maybe' there.... due to high inflation in the 80's I paid the same price for my 8 year old boat as she cost new and they still - over 20 years on - change hands for the same money today. Lots less in real terms but the same in UKPs.

The NZ customs valuation mentioned above was in fact 20% higher than new 1986 price.

So... the custom's valuation on a boat you have owned for three or four years can actually bite you on the bum.

Re time for overhaul.... don't know how it is charged in Turkey but in my experience in Oz, Argentina and elsewhere is that the daily rate to be on the hard increases after a few weeks, then increases again a few weeks later and so on until your eyes water...... a pretty good incentive to get things done muy pronto.
Old 16-08-2016, 21:32   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
and the relevant part is ....

'In these instances the yacht will have to be valued by a marine surveyor in Australia. This valuation will be based on the market value and as such will include elements such as customs duty and GST. We'll have to deduct these elements plus overseas transport from the local valuation.
Where the yacht is sailed to Australia, overseas freight will be determined having regard to essential sailing costs incurred under the most commercially viable conditions. Such costs would include sailing expenditure necessarily incurred while the vessel is actually sailing (and entering and leaving) those ports of call on the most commercially viable route. It would not include any in port expenditure related to the vessel's period of stopover.'
You missed a key part

Privately imported yachts are generally valued using the transaction method of valuation when purchased overseas new or second-hand for export to Australia. Circumstances where we may use an alternative method of valuation include such situations as where:
the yacht was constructed by owner/labour;
the yacht has been extensively modified since purchase;
the purchaser and vendor are related parties and that relationship has influenced the purchase price; or
the original purchase price is too far removed in time.

The question is, how long is "too far". Perhaps a few years at least??

I'll be going though this in November. In my case I'll be sending from Turkey on a ship, so I'll get to pay GST on the full shipping cost (Duty is only on the purchase price/customs valuation).

I've had my boat 6 years so I will certainly need a valuation. "Thankfully" I have teak decks that are on their last legs, so maybe my valuation will be talked down. I'm looking at a Duty & Taxes of $18k on a boat valued in Aus at $150k (based on the asking price of 2 currently listed)
Old 18-08-2016, 03:26   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Turkey to Australia

Quote:
I can't be specific without seeing the boat but these are possibilities.

spare anchor, extra chain, extra rode, jacklines, harnesses, harness anchor points, quality lifejackets, spare propane tank plus mounting, jerry cans for diesel plus mounting, rebuild kit for every pump on the boat, service both diesels, all kinds of spare light bulbs, spare sails, maybe upgrade chartplotter depending on what is there now, add AIS, buy galley stuff, buy groceries (that's a 3 day job when you start from zero), service autopilot, strip and rebuild heads, buy linen and blankets, test compasses and maybe pay for turning, inspect all fixed and running rigging, buy engine spares like oil filters, oil, impellers, make up anchor bridle and/or snubber, buy dinghy and outboard, paint bottom, fit SSB . . . . . that'll do.

Maybe some of the other boat systems don't work and need replacing but I can't be specific there. Whatever needs doing, what point is there in sailing past a place with cheap labor so you can hurry to a place with expensive labor. On top of that the Australian tax man will be there waiting at the dock with his hand out. The later the boat arrives the cheaper the tax gets.
I've known skippers who'd demand all that.. and I've seen an rookie owner do all that after handover due to 'Advice' from 'Experienced Crew'....
I'd just dropped it off after 2000+nm's and the only thing needing attention/replacement (which I'd advised them off) was the spinnaker halyard.. they sailed without replacing it.. after doing lots of what did not need attention... ended up needing to go up the mast mid-Atlantic.

Sail more or less as you are.. if you need gear stop at Malta where prices are good.. cut through the Corinth and head for Sicily and on down.. did it from Kusadasi to Gozo in 4 days in a mono.. overnight stop on the hook after passing through the Corinth early am and a 24hr stop in Syracuse.. so a cat should take just one...
Fix as you go.. its just a long weekend cruise.. the Med is going to be your toughest leg..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Turkey