Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 05:34   #1

Va. To USVI end of Nov or first week of Dec.

Am thinking of heading from Va to USVI, last week of Nov or early Dec.Any thoughts on the timing of this. Plan on following the almost Bermuda to 65, then South route. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Diesel Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 15:59   #2

Re: Va. To USVI end of Nov or first week of Dec.

I think the general thinking is the exposure to severe winter storms increases dramatically as each week goes by past the first two weeks of November. Most people doing that route do not stop in Bermuda unless they have a problem (fuel, crew etc). Otherwise your route looks normal.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 19:38   #3

Thanks for the input, was thinking the same, just trying to get everything in order ASAP, to do a early November cruise. Happy sails, and thanks again for your thoughts.
Diesel Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:45   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Diesel Dog,
Well, I have plenty of "thoughts" for you, but I'll be brief this morning
(and I'm assuming you're sailing, not motoring....with a name like "diesel dog", it makes one wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dog View Post
Am thinking of heading from Va to USVI, last week of Nov or early Dec.Any thoughts on the timing of this. Plan on following the almost Bermuda to 65, then South route. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dog View Post
...just trying to get everything in order ASAP, to do a early November cruise.
1) First off, your route will of course depend on the weather that you have upon departure and along the passage....and when leaving from the Chesapeake while getting your easting in early (typically a majority of your easting is after your cross the Stream, but still north of 30* N, is common), if you're lucky you can sail a rhumb line before you get to 65*W....
But, as I write, your exact route is going to depend on the weather upon departure and along your route!

2) Secondly, you'd typically be MUCH better off leaving in October....mid / late Oct. is a good time for this passage.....(assuming there isn't any tropical activity predicted within the next 5 days of your departure, and you look closely at any tropical waves that might be drifting across the Atlantic or Caribbean...)
And, remember this is a fairly strong El Nino year, and hence Atlantic tropical storms / hurricanes are less frequent...so, going earlier than many think of as "normal" is a very do-able!!!
Atlantic 5-Day Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook
Quote:
TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
800 AM EDT FRI JUL 10 2015

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

Tropical cyclone formation is not expected during the next 5 days.

Forecaster Avila
Late Nov / early Dec can be a bitch crossing the Stream....and even then, you can get caught in some autumn continental Lows/cold fronts, which although they move quickly are every bit as violent at sea as a tropical Low/depression/tropical storm...

{If this is your first time making this passage, or even the first time on an offshore, non-trade-winds passage in the N. Atlantic, be aware that while it can be a nice sail, it also be a real bitch....
And, you may find reading this thread to be helpful....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/2015-another-bad-year-in-the-azores-145794-3.html#post1819684
(while the title might make you think it doesn't apply, there is a good deal of info there for you, that should help...) }

3) Third (probably should've made this #1), you'd be MUCH better off leaving from the Beaufort, NC area (or even a tiny but further south...)
Especially if you are looking at a late Nov / early Dec departure!!!
Leaving from the Beaufort (or Wilmington) area, does a few things for you:

--- Places you 150 miles further South....(yes, you are a bit further west as well, but typically closer to the Stream here, as well as in typically nicer weather, and more importantly you are west of the Stream in fairly warm water, not north of the Stream in colder water...)

--- More benign weather is typical...

--- Closer to the Gulf Stream...

--- Warmer water, and warmer weather...

Diesel Dog, I hope this helps....but please read over the other thread, and ask further questions here, and we can be of more help if needed...

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:37   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I agree with a lot that Ka4wja, John, says.

I will be doing that run later this year. I have done it before from further south.
The exit point will be somewhere between Beaufort South Carolina and Savannah, Georgia.
Heading immedietly to i65 then down. Last time I did not get out far enough, quick enough, finally when I did I got the benifit.

If the hurricane season is quiet at the end NOAA will call an early finish to the season so its conceivable that late October would be sanctioned.
November around Cape Hatteras is loony bin stuff imho. Why be so cold with the higher chance of death when a quick trip to Beaufort reduces both?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote