Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2024, 19:41   #31

Re: where to go for a year of sailing?

If we end up deciding for Indonesia rather than Caribbean, it seems that northern Australia (ex. Darwin) may be a better starting point to gain some sailing experience, getting to know the boat, making necessary repairs etc. before heading north compared to ex. Langkawi or Phuket - or does the ~250 nm across the Timor Sea have a bad reputation even at the right season?
APETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2024, 22:55   #32

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by APETE View Post
If we end up deciding for Indonesia rather than Caribbean, it seems that northern Australia (ex. Darwin) may be a better starting point to gain some sailing experience, getting to know the boat, making necessary repairs etc. before heading north compared to ex. Langkawi or Phuket - or does the ~250 nm across the Timor Sea have a bad reputation even at the right season?
The crossing from Darwin to Saumlaki or Tual or Ambon is easy-peasy in the winter SE season - steady 15-20 knots with few squalls. We left Darwin in early December last year so in the early part of the NW Monsoon and had light winds from nearly all directions for a few hours at a time. North of Saumlaki in the Banda Sea we had moderate and steady NW winds, up to 20 knots.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 00:29   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^

And a few years back a cyclone wiped out Darwin around Christmas...

Jim
Old 17-08-2024, 00:58   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Ok, thanks clamshack for your honest opinion about the feasibility of our project. We may need to reconsider our plans. However, this has been a dream for us so long, so before we decide to give up, we will fight a bit longer exploring if there may be possible options.
Your plan will become a lot more feasible -- in terms of both money and time -- if you can buy the boat ahead of time, as much ahead of time as possible, so that you can prepare the boat and learn to sail her without hurrying.

If you buy the boat after the year has already started, you will use up a lot of time just getting the boat equipped and supplied, even if it's in good condition and doesn't require a lot of repairs. I say "a lot of repairs" because all boats, at all times, always need some repair or another, usually a list of them.

We call cruising "boat repair in exotic places", and you shouldn't imagine that buying a boat is like buying a car and just driving off.

This is an argument for buying a boat nearby where you live now, and against buying one in a far-off place, expecting to step aboard and go cruising.

I have owned my boat for 15 years and sailed her more than 50,000 miles. I have always kept her in good condition but I still spend more time getting her ready for our annual summer cruise, than I spend cruising. I never spend less than $10,000 a year on repairs and maintenance, and this year I spent more than $50,000, not counting the value of my own labor or that of my friends, cost of tools, etc.

A boat is a bit like a helicopter -- a bunch of parts flying in formation, they say -- and every system has a certain useful life. So after a certain age you will be doing at least one major replacement or refurbishment of a major system just about every year. Older boats very often have a few years at least of deferred major replacements, even if they look perfect cosmetically, so beware.

Not sure where you said you are located, but buying a boat a year ahead (or more) and spending your weekends and vacations working on her and learning to sail her, would be a great idea. Then when your sabbatical starts, you will be in a position to spend most of the year cruising, rather than fumbling around trying to get the boat in usable condition.

What concerns price -- I will disagree with some of my friends on here and say that you could probably buy a reasonably seaworthy boat for under $50k, an old Pearson 365 for example, and you might find one in good enough condition that you don't need to spend more than $10k -- $20k to get her up to snuff, assuming you are handy with tools.

I prefer larger boats, but two people (and even the occasional guest) can have a heck of a lot of fun on a 36 footer, which is big enough to already be in the "not-quite-camping" category.

Buying an old boat be sure and use a good surveyor. You will not be able to figure out on your own, whether a boat is in good condition or not.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 07:18   #35

Hi, can't speak for any other areas but here on the Malaysian & Thailand west coast there is enough territory to keep you busy for a year. The biggest con is the wind is a little incosistant. If you are prepared to sail when you can but happy to chill where you are the rest of the time, then you've found your place. Helps also if you are into diving as there's a lot of opportunity for that also.

Despite a few posts saying there are lots of boats available in Malaysia/Thailand the inventory has gone down a lot in the last two years. Even some of the long time overpriced boats have now sold. In your stated price range there are a couple of local boats I would consider.

https://www.syslangkawi.com/nordic-4...ale-in-malaysi

https://www.yachtbroker-charters.com...tom-sloop.html

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...39-mkii/293280

I don't know if this add is correct, the boat had been on the market a long time with periodic price drops. I saw it in Penang a few months ago for a couple of days and thought a local must have purchased her then gone again.
https://www.yachtbroker-charters.com...-Miura-31.html

Often the yachtworld and boats.com etc. sites that aggregate little brokers are way out of date, they just get missed and not updated. Also, almost all communication here is via WhatsApp, emails and voice messages just don't get checked.
If your serious about this ( and this part of the world ) then you need to get talking to people on the ground that know what is available. There will be someone in every harbour that knows whats going on. You need to start digging until you find the right person for that location.

Regarding the Thailand & Malaysian west coast, have a look at the map and a few sailing blog/youtube that cover the area. You can fill a year with nice tropical living without going further. The time will go quickly and if it's still appealing you can then head south to play frogger getting past Singapore and spend the next year in the South China Sea and do the Anambas Is, Sabah and then the Philippines. There is the "rally to the east" that does that if you want to do it in company and reduce the planning .

Regional safety is pretty good, there is an anual reports on piracy, will post links when I'm back home monday. The ongoing crackdown on Abu Sayyaf by the Philippines has reduced the threat level from high to moderate low. Lots of old info out there on this but no yacht kidnapping since 2016 nor high seas (i.e. ship ) since 2021.

Final thing to think of is whatever you buy it may take a while to sell again so consider where you want to leave it and perhaps price it keenly to help it sell quickly.
tanngrisnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 09:34   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanngrisnir View Post
.....Final thing to think of is whatever you buy it may take a while to sell again so consider where you want to leave it and perhaps price it keenly to help it sell quickly.
Amen to this^^^^^

@APETE - you might want to peruse bumfuzzle.com. They too are serial adventurers. They circumnavigated on a small-ish catamaran, went to a mono-hull, then to a trawler, now back to a monohull. Inbetween, they've hauled an Airsteam all over North America (and parts of Central and South America). For the right mindset, your plan is definitely doable.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look for

1. Where can I buy a well-equipped boat for a decent price?
2. What does 'fun' look like to me? History? Solitude? People?
3. Accessibility - how easy is it to get there, stay there, and communicate while there? Will frinds/family visit (or do you want them to)?
4. What is my exit plan?

There are several graveyards of cruising dreams leaving behind well-prepared boats. If you can find one before too much time has passed, it could be an easy-button and an affordable one at that. In my neck, Mazatlan/La Paz; and Rio Dulce Guatemala is a big one on the Caribbean (and is close to great diving - Bay Islands, Belize, Mesoamerican Reef, etc. - after a year, you could sail to Florida with a better shot of selling).

Personally, I'd pick a place that appeals to you and go there for a vacation. Ask on a forum like this one where the cruisers hang and stop by and introduce yourself. Ask around and you'll find boats for sale.

Good luck -
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 10:32   #37

Boat: B423

Quote:
Thanks clamshack.

Rookie question; to me the Catalina looks like a very nice boat, apparently with low hours on engine, sails in good condition, more than minimum instruments (rigging not really mentioned though) etc. From what I understand, there will however always be a lot of very expensive (minimum 10.000 -30.000$) things to improve on a new – used - boat before being able to start sailing it, even if the survey turns out that it is in seaworthy condition.

Don’t know if it is possible to answer this, but what would be some of the most likely and expensive items to improve/replace/fix on a boat like this before it is ready to take to sea?

Thanks again.
Every boat is different. As you mentioned a boat of that age is going to need the standing rigging replaced. That's a lot of labor hours.

The Navigation equipment looks old. That can be supplemented by a tablet, but if everything works you should still update the chart plotter. Adding AIS transmit/receive and radar is important in my opinion.

The head may need replacing including black tank and hoses. You don't need to live in a stinky boat. A lot of people love the composting head.

The house batteries will likely need updating. How are you going to charge them? Do you need AC power? You'll need an inverter.

What are you going to do about water? Water makers can be expensive, but having to be near a freshwater source is limiting.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 11:26   #38

My vote:
The Bahamas. Nearby and everything is great. Exumas and further down it's wild. Did a lot of spearfishing there, but it's been years. Not sure the current regs. It's better than further down the E Caribe.
Mexico: Sea of Cortez Rather than West coast.. Cool water a bit but wild also.

S. Pacific WAY too far for a year.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 11:57   #39

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

[QUOTE=Dockhead;3925469]snip/[QUOTE]

I share your sentiments but this will depend on where you live. Preparing a boat for a year at home in "Iceland" and then spending a major part of your sabbatical getting to your desired destination FP is not sensible. Yes, allow a couple of months to sort a new to you boat but it is no different than a delivery where you make sure things are safe and then deliver the boat sometimes across and ocean. The OP is not looking for a forever boat.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 12:15   #40

If you're spending a year aboard, minus hurricane season. You better get to know the boat ahead of time and buy it near your destination. And it better be in pretty good to go shape. It's very easy to spend a year 'boat fixing' and a year 'acclimatizing' to the boat.

Sea of Cortez buy the boat in San Diego, or in San Carlos Mexico.
Bahamas; buy the boat in Florida.
Etc etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 16:08   #41

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Thanks fxykty and Tupaia for update on the regional safety in eastern Indonesia.

So, from what I understand, at the moment it might be possible to combine Eastern Indonesia, the Philippines and NE Malaysia/Sarawak if not stopping the wrong places (such as the Sula Archipelago) in between?
Yes, people sail from North Sulawesi up to the Philippines. Also from Sorong via the Pacific to the Philippines.

But if you only have a year, skip the Philippines and spend the time in Indonesia. There are over 18,000 islands, hundreds of different cultures, and other than a few overnighters much of your sailing will be day hops - if you’re not rushing.

Currently you can get via an agent a multiple entry visa valid for one year with 180 days stay permit.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 19:00   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It's really hard when one's exit strategy drives the whole boat choice and destination.

I am Ann, a cruiser with somewhere over 175,000 n.mi., and over 40 years. If it matters, you can read my sailing experience up to the time I joined CF on my profile page, the "About Me".

My original advice to you before it sank in about the exit towards the end of the year would have been to devote yourself to the East Coast of Australia, knowing that cyclone season is roughly November through May in fact. So if your year would be up in Dec., then you'd sail the boat south of 22 deg. S., and put it up for sale in Brisbane or Sydney. Aussies like Yank boats, and there are a few for sale here, and CF member ForeandAft is a surveyor in the Brisbane area. And they speak Strayan, a variant of English, which can be a real help, to negotiate in one's own first language. But, you would have to allow almost 3 months of your time to selecting the boat and getting it ready, and then get it ready to sell, and sell it, too. That's a big chunk of your sailing "year." This plan still could work for you, and if it appeals, I'd be happy to discuss it with you. It really depends on what matters most to you. (The depart Mexico and sail to Oz and sell the boat would be a demanding program, and it would require a boat that was really ready to go, and ocean capable. It would give you a taste of the SP, and possibly change your lives forever. It would require you have topgrade fixit skills, and planning skills, and you'd want a better boat that what I mention below.)

The suggestions above, about getting the boat while you're in the US, and then using it and bringing it up to snuff before you go to the Caribbean or Mexico make sense to me: it would lengthen your sailing/cruising time. Hurricane Season in the US/Mex/Caribbean is roughly June through December 31. Nowadays, we expect that there are both more early and late cyclones, so no matter whether you go southern hemisphere or northern, it is a large part of the year where you really do have to keep track of wx all the time, and have your escape plan. If you have yet to experience your first gale at sea, you honestly have no idea what it will be to deal with finding shelter (when everyone else is seeking shelter, too, the "good" places fill up fast, get too crowded--my Jim left a reputable hurricane hole in Mexico, when someone anchored in a spider web of lines, too close to him, and went out to some islands nearby, where he and a few other cruisers had to change anchorage when the wind shift came through.) It's not just talk, you really need plans A, B, and C.

Someone upstream suggested a Catalina 31. Someone who answered you, bought a 27 footer for his year, and wound up keeping his boat. The shallow draft monohull in the 27-31 ft. range IS probably a little like camping for you, but has the virtue of being less expensive than the 36, and also a fairly secure demand. The size of Jim's 30 footer was not a problem for me on our first ocean passage, roughly 8 weeks, from SF to HI and return. And he bought a 36 footer for us to go cruising in afterwards. I wouldn't consider that 30 footer for a long term cruising, either. It was a good light air sailer, but it sailed on it's ear, and that is fatiguing, day after day. But something easy to sell when you come back to the US is what's going to work best for you. So check out the prices on the Catalinas & Hunters in that size range, bearing in mind that how you think about the prices is likely to be how the buyer (when you're ready to sell) will also think. People like known quantities in first boats, and not everyone goes the 22 ft. starter boat route.

The Carribbean is about as close to FL as Sydney, NSW, Oz is to Brisbane, and can be sailed in a couple or three overnighters, good for when you're in the time to sell phase. When you do day hops, it takes a lot longer because of the lost hours of sailing time. Doing overnight passages out of sight of land is a big deal to some people, beware, anxiety could sneak up on you. We're here to talk about whatever concerns you have, like watch schedules, preventing mal de mer, overnighters, etc., etc.

The cruising lifestyle requires a lot of forward preparation, but it offers a great deal of freedom; weather rules all, and makes you do funny things, like leaving on an unplanned overnighter shortly after you anchored for the night, so you could get to where you wanted to be "tomorrow" before the wind shift comes in and makes it "too hard" to go tomorrow, for instance. Fwiw, we do 6 on/6 off, watches, pretty well free form during the day. My morning shift ran from midnight to 6 am, or 7, or 8, then a nap after breakfast. The 6 solid hrs. sleep per night is sustainable for long passages. People here will recommend different intervals, and we had to experiment to find out the timing that worked best for us. Jim found it impossible to sleep at all during the daytime when we first left the States, so it was really important for the skipper's well being that I learn to do the long watches.

Ann
Old 18-08-2024, 01:30   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamshack View Post
Every boat is different. As you mentioned a boat of that age is going to need the standing rigging replaced. That's a lot of labor hours.

The Navigation equipment looks old. That can be supplemented by a tablet, but if everything works you should still update the chart plotter. Adding AIS transmit/receive and radar is important in my opinion.

The head may need replacing including black tank and hoses. You don't need to live in a stinky boat. A lot of people love the composting head.

The house batteries will likely need updating. How are you going to charge them? Do you need AC power? You'll need an inverter.

What are you going to do about water? Water makers can be expensive, but having to be near a freshwater source is limiting.

It might be useful to the OP to give a thumbnail sketch of what kind of systems may need replacing and at what interval:

1. Standing rigging -- 10-15 years
2. Running rigging -- continuously; 4-5 years typical life of a hard working sheet or halyard.
3. Furlers, winches, blocks, clutches, deck gear -- rarely need replacement but need constant maintenance and occasional overhaul.
4. Hatches -- repair or replace from time to time, for leaks. I spent about $2000 this year replacing one of mine.

5. Windlass -- replace motor or gearbox from time to time.
6. Gas system -- regulators, solenoids, hoses need frequent replacement (3-4 years).
7. Batteries -- consumable; lead batteries typically last 3-4 years for full time cruisers and will ALWAYS need to be replaced in boats offered for sale which have been standing for a long time.
8. Diesel engines -- very long lived but may need exhaust elbows, heat exchangers (cleaned or replaced), etc. etc.
9. Stern gland -- dripless seals last 5-6 years typically.
10. Through hulls and sea cocks -- depending on type, may need replacing every 10-15 years, more often if cheap ones, less often if good bronze ones.
11. Underwater hoses -- 10-15 years.
12. Pumps (fresh water, gray water, macerator, etc.) -- typically last 5-6 years, but can be much less, or more. Keep both overhaul kits and complete spare pumps on board at all times.
13. Calorifier -- typically spring leaks after 10-15 years because of thermal expansion/contraction, requiring replacement.
14. Electronics -- can last for long time sometimes but are typically obsolete after 10 years, and this is very expensive. I spent about $15,000 on partial replacement of mine this year -- using my own labor.
15. Refrigeration -- may last 20 years or more but may need repairs from time to time.
16. Toilets & sewage plumbing -- depending on type, may need overhaul or replacement in as little as 3 years. Sewage plumbing can be blocked with calcium if not carefully maintained, and typically is blocked on old boats for sale.
17. Tanks -- depending on type and usage, can last 50 years or 5, and can be very expensive to replace.
18. Autopilot -- hydraulic rams and pumps typically need overhaul or replacement every 8 - 10 years.
19. Rudder bearings and seals -- 10 years or so.
20. Heating and aircon systems -- repair or replacement at various intervals depending on type.
21. Bilge pumps and float switches -- Pumps typically last forever but float switches may fail frequently. Keep spares on board.
22. Propeller -- folding or feathering props need overhaul from time to time depending on type.
23. Bottom -- antifoul every year or two, sandblast, new barrier coat, new antifoul every 10 years or so (very expensive). I did mine this year to the tune of about $10,000.
24. Sails -- let's not forget about sails!! The best money you can spend on a boat is for good quality, fresh sails. I spent nearly $40,000 on my last set of sails, and another $10,000 on a new mainsail last year. Sails for a smaller boat are much cheaper than that, but this is still one of the most expensive things on a boat.

Not a complete list!

When you buy a used boat, you will need to spend a certain time using all these systems and getting to know them, and detecting which ones are failing. A good survey will usually turn up only about half of the problems.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 18-08-2024, 01:44   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
. . . The cruising lifestyle requires a lot of forward preparation . . .

Indeed; in fact you might say it's really all about that. It's tremendous fun for people with that kind of personality, and absolutely horrible for happy-go-lucky spur-of-the-moment personality types.

For every hour of sailing there are many hours of planning, preparation, working on the boat, fixing things, upgrading things, laying in supplies, and especially -- learning new skills.

Running an oceangoing sailboat requires you to do probably 90% of all the jobs which get done on a big ship by large crew full of specialists. You have to be the sailing-master, the helmsman, the navigator, the meteorologist, the engineer, the boatswain, the cook, the plumber, the sailmaker/rigger, the diesel mechanic, the electrician -- all of that in one person (or two). To be good at all of those things requires a staggering amount of learning. I would say that what the happiest cruisers have in common is a passion for learning.

And that's another reason to start preparation for a year cruise, at least a year in advance. Not just getting the boat ready -- but getting YOURSELF ready.
Walt Whitman
Old 18-08-2024, 09:59   #45

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Half the people responding here have really expensive boats that they would like you to buy. Your CAN buy a boat that will fit your budget. You don't need new instruments and a chart plotter to sail. Boats in Mexico are cheaper than in the US, because most buyers worry about the unknowns of assuming ownership in a different country and the increased cost of outfitting a boat in Mexico. Part of your plans would be to end your adventure in a civilized spot like Miami, Los Angeles, or Sydney. You should be able to sell the boat for 80% of what you paid for it, more if you spent time sprucing it up.

To give you some lower budget ideas, watch Adventureman Dan, or the Wind Hippie.

Dan has been living and sailing for 6 years on a 37 ft Bene he bought for $23,000. His budget is $1500 a month in disability from the US Navy after a Seal training accident.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing

« Wind vane | - »