Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 14:37   #1

Windward Islands Cruise over Christmas 2011

We are planning a cruise from St. Lucia to Grenada in 10 days and would like ideas on things to see, do, places to eat, dive, etc.
Drsmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 16:24   #2

Boat: Caliber 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsmurph
We are planning a cruise from St. Lucia to Grenada in 10 days and would like ideas on things to see, do, places to eat, dive, etc.
Plan to spend a day at the market in Grenada...check days and times open...then look at the day prices in the market exchange before shopping/bargaining with vendors. And enjoy the Roti, and get to know some locals...and don't even think about buying anything that remotely looks like turtle shell, no matter what the label says it is. Enjoy!
harmony80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 16:39   #3

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Windward Islands Cruise over Christmas 2011

Go to Bequia!! Great place and excellent anchorage. We stayed away from most of St. Vincent after hearing stories of burglaries, etc. ( look at noonsite) but Bequia was the best. Tobago Cays also not to be missed. Best snorkeling and diving in the Caribbean.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 19:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Dufour 48 Sloop - Ibis

Hi Drsmurph,

I'm actually going to be doing the same trip in the other direction! I've been up and down a couple of times and I can recommend the following:
  • Stop in Soufriere for a sundowner at the Ladera resort and then a local dinner in town - Soufriere is poles apart from Rodney Bay!
  • I have stopped in a couple of places along the coast of St Vincent and you should be ok at Walilabou, one of the film sets of Pirates of the Caribbean (just take all reasonable precautions)
  • Bequia is pretty
  • The Tobago Cays are an obvious must but get all your provisions in at the markets & shops in Clifton on Union Island - you can also stop for drinks in the dinghy at the little bar in the bay built on conch shells!
  • Saltwhistle Bay on Mayreau is lovely but can be a tricky anchorage as there are reefs
  • Chatham Bay on Union is gorgeous
  • Petit St Vincent is always on my list of stops and convenient for Morpion Island
  • Hillsborough is a lovely beachfront small town on Carriacou
  • Try and do an island tour on Grenada as the forests are lovely (as is St Lucia)
  • Snorkelling at the Grenada Underwater Sculpture Park for something a bit out of the ordinary.

I'm also going to stop at a couple of new places this time - Mustique and Kingstown on St Vincent.

Hope this gives you some ideas!
Kind regards
Sam
Old 25-07-2011, 06:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Drsmurph.

Thanks for the great info', Sam.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 21:18   #6

So far excellent recommendations, thanks!
Drsmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 06:21   #7

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I went to Kingstown and would give it a pass unless you are into botanical gardens in which case they have a pretty good one.

Soufriere is a good recommendation - marigot is a good harbour if it is blowing and the restaurant at the hotel had good (but not cheap) food - but as that is a charter base maybe you are starting there in the first place?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 23:31   #8

planning on chartering from Martinique in November...early Dec.....any ideas from someone? Haven't started intensive looking wether to go north or south....going with another couple...any ideas?
laughing husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 05:02   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, laughing husky.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 05:42   #10

Boat: Caliber 35

Mustique is great and has a good shop for extra provisioning, and if you need something extra, call them a day ahead and the shop will fly your provision in. The anchorage is quite exposed, so be sure winds are favorable. The last time I was there mooring balls were limited. Ask if anyone is still making chocolate croissants...if so get there early in the morning...they are great. Mustique has one of the best fresh fish markets of any of the islands. No fresh fish in the supermarkets? For most of the islands, listen for the sound of the conch shell being blown...that signals fresh fish in the market, especially on Bequia.
harmony80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 05:51   #11

Location: Cruising the Caribbean, Rio Dulce, Guatemala during Hurricane season 2012
Boat: FP Orana 44

Hi Drsmurphy,

little to add to Sams and the other excellent recommendations. Only, we like to take an overnight stop at the Pitons, same price for one or three nights.
When you have reached Grenada, listen to channel 68, every morning 7:30 and you know all about whats going. Every weekend are "Hashes" (walks with lots of fun) organised by the local community. Have a good trip and see you in Grenada

First Mate Eveline
Aluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 07:08   #12

Ah...where do I begin? We did a four-week charter there in 2008. Spent two weeks with one group, then took on a new crew and cruised for another two weeks. Some of our favorites: Petit Nevis on our way from Bequia to Mustique (anchored on the lee shore and hiked to windward side...absolutely beautiful!), Macaroni Beach on Mustique (watch the heavy surf...fun, but it stripped the bottom of my two-piece right off me!--serious!), Salt Whistle Bay, Mayreau (beautiful view), Chatham Bay, Union Island (also absolutely beautiful), the Tobago Cays (swimming with the sea turtles) and then out to Petit Tebac (of Pirates of the Caribbean fame "...but why the rum?"), photo op at Mopion, snorkeling at L'Anse Chemin (north side of Bequia), snorkeling at Windward Bay, Mayreau (bottom covered with hundreds of starfish!), great meals in Admiralty Bay, Bequia (Portofino's for great Italian cuisine...we were there the 2nd night they were open, The Gingerbread for great curry dinners, and L'Auberge des Grenadines), great sailing, visit to Walilabou and Dark View Falls on St. Vincent. It was a great charter. Enjoy!
allen_kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 06:31   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing husky View Post
planning on chartering from Martinique in November...early Dec.....any ideas from someone? Haven't started intensive looking wether to go north or south....going with another couple...any ideas?
This thread is mostly about St. Lucia to Grenada, but the OP did, sort of, open it up by titling it "Windward Islands . . ."

- - For Martinique the normal one week or 10 days bareboat charter you can't really do much "long distance" sailing unless you want to skip all the shore-side sights and things to experience. Starting from, I would assume Cul de sac Marin, as that is the major charter harbor on Martinique - you can really barely do justice to all the places around Martinique to experience.

- - Heading west from Marin I like to stop in Les Anses - D'Arlets; Grand Anse; and Anse a L'Ane. In Fort de France Bay I love Anse Mitan; then Les Trois Islets; then back up to downtown Fort De France, anchoring west of Fort St Louis. You can spend the better part of a week there alone.

- - By now you have used up at least a week or two, assuming you have to return the boat to Marin. But if you have extra time then sail up the west coast to Ste Pierre and Mt Pelee - a fabulous place to explore.

- - If you have done all that before on earlier charters, then head up the east coast - weather permitting - and anchor off Isle de Caravelle (which I personally nicknamed the "dragon's wing" for its shape). You can anchor off Cul de sac Tartane - Baie du Tresor, But this is "advanced crusing" as the waters can be treacherous on the windward side of the island.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, Windward Islands