Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2021, 10:43   #16

Re: Your 2022 Cruising Plans/Philosophy?

I am currently about to head to the BVI for a bareboat charter with TMM.
I can firmly say that had I know all the different Hoops I would have to jump through (and guide my 80 yr old parents through), I would NOT go to the BVI for a bareboat trip. Just too much hassle and effort for a limited time frame.
I traveled to France earlier this year and it was somewhat the same.
I fail to see how a tourist based country like the BVI is going to do well.
I am a fully vaccinated person and yet I am still required to take multiple tests (one before arriving and one when arriving).
Both USVI and BVI require entry QR codes ETC.

maybe it would be better as a "cruiser" but I doubt it. Not having access to computers, testing etc would turn the current nightmare into a near impossibility.
Maybe I am just a whiner
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 11:54   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I remember in April 2020 that we started making plans to take the boat from Philippines to Canada in 2021, assuming that N. America would be one of the first regions to get back to normal.
We would visit my sister, brother and friends there and be well positioned to enjoy sailing Canada and Alaska.

Reality hit by November 2020, that vaccine roll-out would take at least a year and that US/Canada tourist visas for Zaida would not be a available in time.

So decided that we would just fly as tourists to Canada instead in 2021 as long as we were assured we could return to the boat and our home in Subic.

Then Delta variants and the inconsistencies and uncertainty of regional Covid mandates made me realize that this should be seen and treated more like a 100 year Storm, rather than just a spate of bad weather.

Our plan now is to only cruise where we can without quarantine requirements and never risk being forcibly separated from returning to our boat is disappointing ......but I think for our location in Asia is practical.

The EU seems more harmonized for cruisers to get moving towards the Caribbean and the search for warm waters.

I guess the Med will remain normal for locals but more challenging for Transient cruisers.

What is the gut feeling of those in North America as to when borders will open up for cruising boats?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 14:22   #18

Boat: Lagoon 570

Yes, my plans are to sail like crazy just like 2021. You should, if not already get vaccinated and say screw it to Covid! Very little was different for me this year but I keep my boat in the Med. If your area is not open sail that big boat to a new one. Good luck!
Timreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 14:33   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I had a very successful season here in Greece. Once lockdown ended 12 may , I’ve got most of 6 months sailing ,currently still sailing , will stop soon, roll on March 2022.
Old 23-10-2021, 19:09   #20

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timreyn View Post
Yes, my plans are to sail like crazy just like 2021. You should, if not already get vaccinated and say screw it to Covid! Very little was different for me this year but I keep my boat in the Med. If your area is not open sail that big boat to a new one. Good luck!
Good to hear!
Our boat is in Montenegro, but not planning to return until 2023 (last seen 2019 ).

Australia is about to allow us to escape, but we figured we would skip next year, and let things settle a bit more.

I see you are in Licata - we have good memories from the three years we wintered our boat there. Some lovely people.
Old 23-10-2021, 20:24   #21

Boat: Lagoon 570

Thanks, I love Licata and enjoyed my time there. I moved my boat to Messolonghi, Greece this fall for the winter. I needed to be closer to Athens. I think you would be perfectly alright to return to your boat in 2022. In the Med I had no trouble for 2021. I know Australia was very rigid in handling Covid so your reluctance might be reasonable. It would be a shame to be locked out and not be able to return home in 2022.
Timreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 22:01   #22

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Good to hear!
Our boat is in Montenegro, but not planning to return until 2023 (last seen 2019 ).

Australia is about to allow us to escape, but we figured we would skip next year, and let things settle a bit more.

I see you are in Licata - we have good memories from the three years we wintered our boat there. Some lovely people.
I'm sorry, you have not seen your boat for 4 years?

I could not leave my boat for four months. I would have never left my boat in Europe and flown to Australia. You and I have different view of the value of our boats.
Old 23-10-2021, 22:21   #23

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

I could not leave my boat for four months. I would have never left my boat in Europe and flown to Australia. You and I have different view of the value of our boats.

Everyone has different stories and paths through this pandemic. Necessity forces undesirable decisions, sometimes long absences from what we would prefer.

Our story: we left our boat in a marina in Belize just before the pandemic broke out, intending to return soon after taking care of renting out part of our house. Literally 2 days after we got home, the borders all shut.

It's been about 21 months now and we return to Belize tomorrow with our 3 shots of Phizer and lots of N95's. Marina reports rats have eaten up everything not metal or fiberglass inside our boat. Wish us luck.
We intend to haul out in Rio Dulce then continue to Cancun and FL. Boat needs new reefer and rigging and thought is that once back in US this will be easier to accomplish.
Old 24-10-2021, 17:17   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Marina reports rats have eaten up everything not metal or fiberglass inside our boat. Wish us luck.
Awww, crap! What a bummer... hope that it ain't as bad as that sounds.

JIm
Old 24-10-2021, 18:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Everyone has different stories and paths through this pandemic. Necessity forces undesirable decisions, sometimes long absences from what we would prefer.

Our story: we left our boat in a marina in Belize just before the pandemic broke out, intending to return soon after taking care of renting out part of our house. Literally 2 days after we got home, the borders all shut.

It's been about 21 months now and we return to Belize tomorrow with our 3 shots of Phizer and lots of N95's. Marina reports rats have eaten up everything not metal or fiberglass inside our boat. Wish us luck.
We intend to haul out in Rio Dulce then continue to Cancun and FL. Boat needs new reefer and rigging and thought is that once back in US this will be easier to accomplish.
GL

Be interested in a thread with some pictures if you get a chance.
tennis4789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 20:35   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timreyn View Post
Thanks, I love Licata and enjoyed my time there. I moved my boat to Messolonghi, Greece this fall for the winter. I needed to be closer to Athens. I think you would be perfectly alright to return to your boat in 2022. In the Med I had no trouble for 2021. I know Australia was very rigid in handling Covid so your reluctance might be reasonable. It would be a shame to be locked out and not be able to return home in 2022.
Yes, after a few seasons around Sicily and Malta we headed to the top of the Adriatic and enjoyed that area very much also - both we would like to return to.

As for travel, currently we are still not allowed out, and there are literally tens of thousands of Australian residents who still are not allowed to return back here - some since early 2020, some later who have been allowed out to see a dying relative, but not allowed back to their home!

Really it is crazy here. That is apparently changing in the next months, but then Europe is coming into their 'flu season'. It will be interesting to see how COVID goes then, and whether restrictions/closure are brought back to the Australian border as a result. That is the issue - not being allowed back to our home and family.

In the meantime, we continue to plan for 2023 - early 2023 ....
Old 24-10-2021, 20:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

A little over two years so far, but it will be just short of four by the time we get back - yes, we are sorry too, but more for the wreckage this disgusting virus has wreaked on the world and its people. Certain individuals have a lot to answer for, but they will never be brought to account I suspect.

I doubt very much we value our boat less than you do yours - just different circumstances.
Since buying her new in 2012 we have only been able to sail a few months of each year over in the Med - the rest of the time, she is cared for by yard or marina staff we trust, or when in North Africa, by friends we trust.

Leaving her each year is very hard, and the last day in 2019, after completing all wintering and stowage - while closing the cover, I turned and told her "we will be back - promise!".

Never did we know it would take nearly four years before we could (hopefully) honor that promise, but we intend celebrating 2023, by spending many more months on board (personal circumstances back here will be changed by then).
Old 24-10-2021, 20:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post

So sorry to hear - that is one of the biggest concerns.
We can take precautions against infestation, but nothing is perfect.

We have people inspecting regularly, but a lot can happen in just days ....
Old 24-10-2021, 21:37   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
A little over two years so far, but it will be just short of four by the time we get back - yes, we are sorry too, but more for the wreckage this disgusting virus has wreaked on the world and its people. Certain individuals have a lot to answer for, but they will never be brought to account I suspect.

I doubt very much we value our boat less than you do yours - just different circumstances.

Since buying her new in 2012 we have only been able to sail a few months of each year over in the Med - the rest of the time, she is cared for by yard or marina staff we trust, or when in North Africa, by friends we trust.

Leaving her each year is very hard, and the last day in 2019, after completing all wintering and stowage - while closing the cover, I turned and told her "we will be back - promise!".

Never did we know it would take nearly four years before we could (hopefully) honor that promise, but we intend celebrating 2023, by spending many more months on board (personal circumstances back here will be changed by then).
Great input and outlines the difference of leaving her in a good well managed location, versus a rat infested one.

Has this Covid experience modified your few months a year plans or do business responsibilities still rule?

For me, prior to March 2020, I was seriously contemplating consulting on a very interesting Marine project, which was delayed until 2022.
Now I am no longer interested and just want to be free to take things one step at a time
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 22:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Great input and outlines the difference of leaving her in a good well managed location, versus a rat infested one.

Has this Covid experience modified your few months a year plans or do business responsibilities still rule?

For me, prior to March 2020, I was seriously contemplating consulting on a very interesting Marine project, which was delayed until 2022.
Now I am no longer interested and just want to be free to take things one step at a time
Currently business responsibilities still rule, but that is changing to a new formula which we hope will allow a lot more freedom to travel - a lot more ....
Plus we are getting older, and more conscious of how few years there may be left.

Tags
cruising