Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2019, 11:26   #31
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: 12 volt heating element

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikola View Post
Then I could run the engine but the engine would not produce hot water for a while until the thermostat opens - you must first run the engine hot before it makes your shower hot. A 12V x00 W heater driven by the battery which is simultaneously charged by the engine alternator will start heating immidiately
Once ICE power is in the picture, then just adding an appropriate inverter is a no-brainer for the OP scenario, easy cheap and much faster.

But the motivation here was avoiding ICE in the first place. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 11:30   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This is another use that the little Honda is tough to beat.
Make water, charge batteries, and heat water.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 03:37   #33

Boat: Challenger 36

In addition to my 240v/engine hot water heater, I have a 12v/240v 10 litre hot water heater. We use this when at anchor, 10 minutes on 12v will heat it and this is enough for two showers or to do the dishes. We use draw from 400 amps of battery, replenished by wind and solar. The heater is called a Duoetto Mk 2, and less than AUS$400, and intended for RVs. No need to run the engine to have hot water on tap. Plumbed up in parallel to the 240/Engine hot water system with a two way tap changeover. I only use the larger unit when at marina or after motoring. The 12v is great for use when at anchor for a few days or more.
PegasusIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 05:21   #34

In Puerto Rico, the old homes have small 110v electric heating elements attached to the showerheads. That would solve your cold water issue with an inverter.
Billnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 05:28   #35

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
Looking for a 12 volt heating element for my Quick 60l. I have seen some discussion, but nothing about where to buy and do they come with a thermostat.
It would be nice to have some hot water without running the engine or using 110v.
I used to use surplus power via inverter to heat water but now have a small solar water heater with a very low power pump to circulate the water. Upside - hot water all day long. Downside - more water used.

TwT
Old 14-04-2019, 06:03   #36

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you super insulate your hot water tank and the lines running to it, it will hold heat several days. Mine is surrounded by 2" Styrofoam and all the lines insulated including the cold and overflow for 6'. It holds the heat for 2-3 days in a cold northern climate. While my inverter will run it, I heat water when a generator is running and I'm making water. I also time showers to the generator so the hot water tank is at peak temp when the generator is shut down.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 06:39   #37

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Here's some real-world experience. First of all normally I put two 1 gallon clear water bottles out in the sun to take my shower. I put the water into a garden sprayer with a shower nozzle. But sometimes I want to take a shower early in the morning. I have an induction hot plate that will heat up a gallon of water too hot to touch in 7 up to nine minutes if it's cold at 50 amps. I put that in the garden sprayer and add up to a gallon of water to bring it to the desired temperature. PS on cloudy days in the winter I put my two gallons in my solar oven. Often having to dilute it with cooler water.
Also one of the reasons I prefer this method is I've used a standard solar shower for years and it's very hard to get the water temperature just right and I also like being able to see the water level so I know I'm not going to run out of water before I'm done.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 07:20   #38

Boat: 1995 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.1

To the OP, we suggest that you talk to Christopher at Green Yachting.

They have a new product called Solar Green which we will be trialing on board A B Sea this year.

https://www.green-yachting.online/
AJ-SeaChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 12:26   #39

You might be over-thinking.

LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 18:15   #40
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

So good to see a video that doesn't waste time.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 07:09   #41

If you have sufficient solar panels and battery bank try these guys in the link below. They offer a 12v element for your quick boiler together with an intelligent monitor that only uses excess power in your battery bank.

https://www.green-yachting.online
Artzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 07:25   #42

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

HotWire in Florida has 12V heater elements as dump loads.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:27   #43

AJ-SeaChange - How was your experiance with Solar Green by Green Yachting? Thanks!
davidep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 21:23   #44

Boat: 1995 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidep View Post
AJ-SeaChange - How was your experiance with Solar Green by Green Yachting? Thanks!

It is all good, it does exactly what it says it does.

We made a video of the installation process. Not sure we're allowed to link to it on this forum, but if you search YouTube for Sailing A B Sea you'll find our channel and it's video #072.
AJ-SeaChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:08   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The Ah consumed is pretty constant anyway, so **if** you did have that much excess power, might as well get the job done more quickly, tank unit more can be compact less need for massive insulation.
The Ahrs consumed is much the same, but the net power into the batteries can be very different. The advantage of a low power (for example 300w) element is that it can use excess solar/wind/hydro power. In this way the “efficiency” is very high, as the water heating can potentially be achieved without any reduction in power available for other systems or use of battery capacity. Free hot water.

It is an attractive option, but applicable only to a small number of vessels, and even then is likely to be usable only in some conditions or seasons. However, even if functional only some of the time, it can be worthwhile. There are automated systems available to divert the excess power, but a simple switch does the same providing you keep track via the battery monitor.

Achieving hot shower water at anchor is a significant nuisance for boats using solar/wind/hydro power as the primary power generation method. My simple manual system has greater versatility, but this set up is uncommon.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, men