Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2022, 13:16   #31

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser
Re: 12v Heaters?

For my cruise to Patagonia and around the southern cape I installed a warm water air heater from Webasto. I connected the device to the internal cooling circle of one of the engines. The small device heated one of the hulls of my catamaran very well and no breakdown comparing to the expensive Eberspaecher heater in the other hull. I do not know where to buy in the US but it may be available from Germany.
https://www.svb.de/de/webasto-warmwa...whisperer.html
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 13:33   #32

Heat pumps are more efficient than resistance electric heaters. They are available fairly inexpensively but I don't own one. Cheers.
Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 13:54   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
Heat pumps are more efficient than resistance electric heaters. They are available fairly inexpensively but I don't own one. Cheers.
Welcome to CF

Heat pump on a yacht, powered by what on a yacht?

Also he is departing first week in December, is he likely to be able to achieve this?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 13:57   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
Be aware - the truck heater is fine except not marinized for salt water.
Other than the hull exhaust fitting and the mounting bracket what do you think is the difference on say a Webasto air heater?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 15:27   #35

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
For my cruise to Patagonia and around the southern cape I installed a warm water air heater from Webasto. I connected the device to the internal cooling circle of one of the engines. The small device heated one of the hulls of my catamaran very well and no breakdown comparing to the expensive Eberspaecher heater in the other hull. I do not know where to buy in the US but it may be available from Germany.
https://www.svb.de/de/webasto-warmwa...whisperer.html
Is this the sort of US available warm water air heater you were thinking of?
https://innerdemonmotorsports.com/pr...41253733400754
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater-Craft-500-COM-Grill-Face-Black_c3d7cbe9-ba65-4ad7-b9a3-6719da7c1f1a_1445x.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	267955  
Attached Images

wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 16:35   #36

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We’ve done this route on the cheap at below 32F. We opened the engine compartment to let the leftover ICW engine heat warm the cabin. The Admiral was toasty warm with a cheap 12V electric blanket. I was up early running the Honda 2000 on the swim platform and an 1800 watt oil radiator heater to get the cabin up from 38F to 55F in time to serve the Admiral her coffee. We had an enclosure and we’re very warm during the day. We have CO, CO2, and fire detectors.

We offloaded the heating gear in Marathon FL. Heating in the Caribbean means using a top sheet.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 08:31   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish 2018 View Post
All, I am very aware of the dangers of using the Honda Gen and would NEVER use it inside the boat. Currently it is beside the swim platform and nicely tethered. As I am doing this trip in December I do not anticipate being near any other boats while on anchor. I will use it ONLY to heat the boat while relaxing after a day of solo sailing if needed.

As I thought, there really isn't a good option for a 12v unless one is fitted with a good solar array and a powerful inverter, which I do not have either.

Only looking for opinions and suggestions, I do not need lectures.

Thanks to all who have done the former and not the last!

Ed
whats wrong with Webasto or Eberspatcher both are 12v heaters, that just use deisel as well!
paul2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 09:29   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish 2018 View Post
12v Heater?

Is there an opinion on 12v heaters from the forum? I am planning a trip from Annapolis to Kill Devil Hills, NC the first week of December and would like to hear about my options.

My boat: 2005 Catalina 350. Yes, I have a Honda Gen that I can run the onboard heater, but would rather use a 12v, IF available.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Ed
I would just get one of these. Propane from cannisters, indoor safe. I have one, It has always worked well. They were about $40 a few years ago. More now like everything.
Personally, I would not use in the boat except with some openings like a port and/or cracked companionway. But they are listed as indoor safe. Runs maybe 4 hours on a cannister on low.
These have an oxygen sensor that shuts it off if Oxy is low.
Installed Catalytic propane heaters are used in RV's all the time.

amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232000-Indoor-Safe-Portable/dp/B002G51BZU/ref=asc_df_B002G51BZU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167138746282&hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=18342728409670680088&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqm t=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033392&hv targid=pla-272328547662&psc=1

If you are propane shy there are freestandig Kersosene heaters, but they are large ish.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 09:31   #39

The cheap Chinese heater is definitely the way to go. Available on Amazon for $130. If it only lasts the trip, it’s worth it.

Read the reviews carefully to find some that appear genuine. This one looks good and is sold by Amazon not some guy in a shed - so if it arrives busted you’ll be easily able to get a refund.

Get a couple of CO2 alarms too. Place the exhaust with an eye to fumes not being sucked into the cockpit underway.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Parking...f5a4e2f90&th=1
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 09:39   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
The cheap Chinese heater is definitely the way to go. Available on Amazon for $130. If it only lasts the trip, it’s worth it.

Read the reviews carefully to find some that appear genuine. This one looks good and is sold by Amazon not some guy in a shed - so if it arrives busted you’ll be easily able to get a refund.

Get a couple of CO2 alarms too. Place the exhaust with an eye to fumes not being sucked into the cockpit underway.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Parking...f5a4e2f90&th=1

Agree i always buy this stuff from Amazon as the refunds are great if needed.
Old 27-11-2022, 09:57   #41
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Try this, works with any stove. Because it is vented it solves the major combustion problems (moisture, CO2, and CO). Really simple for the DIY. Fired it up again last week, so nice. I take it out in the summer (about 20 seconds to install), but up there you might like it in the evenings.

https://goodoldboat.com/diy-sailboat-cabin-heater/

Not a replacement for a real heating system, but perfect for small boats and a short trip. WAY better than non-vented heaters.

Old 27-11-2022, 10:29   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Try this, works with any stove. Because it is vented it solves the major combustion problems (moisture, CO2, and CO). Really simple for the DIY. Fired it up again last week, so nice. I take it out in the summer (about 20 seconds to install), but up there you might like it in the evenings.

https://goodoldboat.com/diy-sailboat-cabin-heater/

Not a replacement for a real heating system, but perfect for small boats and a short trip. WAY better than non-vented heaters.

Wow dangerous , released too much water.

Please get a proper unit.
Old 27-11-2022, 11:12   #43

I used to use the 'clay pot over a burner' scheme on a 30 ft boat. Pretty much useless. You need heat real low on a boat because it all rises to the top. A fan would help a bit, but cools also!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 22:23   #44

a)
Motorcycle riders use clothing heated by 12vdc.
These include:
* vests
* gloves
* jackets
* boot-liners.
b)
Our old Dodge Cummins takes a long while to produce heat from the vents, so we use 12vdc sit-on pads for the seats.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2022, 05:51   #45

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Wow dangerous , released too much water.

Please get a proper unit.

Nope. It’s a great design. The water goes up and out in the flue.

I adapted the design to an upside down cast iron pot with a flue going out a dorade vent on my boat. I have an alcohol stove. No condensation, no CO, no alcohol odor. But didn’t provide enough heat for my sized boat.

(I do have a genset and heat but wanted to try something that would be silent)
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater