Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 13:21   #16

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: $200 a year to live on a boat in Alaska

Yeah, it is terrible here, I don't know why anyone would want to live here. Except for me and a few others. There is much to love, but it comes at a price. Nevada doesn't have state income tax, nor does Florida and a few other states. I have been to some of the different "Paradise" spots in the world and they have a price too. It all depends on what your priorities are, if it is warm sunny days and inexpensive produce then look elsewhere.
Old 06-06-2014, 14:10   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Never had bear, are there bear steaks? Are they any good? Are they worth freezing my Bs off for?

Just wondering in case I ever decide to come, in the summer!
Old 06-06-2014, 14:19   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Well, it ain't Alaska, but Newfoundland has some similarities. My aunt made a dinner one night, a big cook up that included, bear, moose caribou, and flipper ( seal.)

Sailing is good with real fjords. Cheap too.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 15:45   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I visited Newfoundland with my parents when I was a kid and hung out with the local Newfie kids. One told me about their Neighbor, she went missing last winter. They found her in the thaw, she was frozen in between two buildings just feet from her front door.

The NWT and Alaska are absolutely gorgeous in July, they have two seasons, July and Winter.
Seriously if you enjoy freedom and really being independent, these are two of the very few places you can still be that way, not much of that left anymore
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 16:36   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
................. Seriously if you enjoy freedom and really being independent, these are two of the very few places you can still be that way, not much of that left anymore
Maybe not! 71% of the Earth's surface is covered with water and almost half of the remaining land surface remains wilderness. There's plenty of space to be free and independent. Cruisers excel at finding isolated places. I know of many miles of isolated sandy beaches in Florida where you can spend days alone. Most people tend to cluster in the dense population areas and almost exclusively where roads are close to the beach. In addition, I don't find it difficult to be free and independent with some other people in the area,- particularly a few widely spaced anchored boats. I've anchored behind the right shoulder of the Statue of Liberty and then cruised up the East River between Manhattan & Queens without speaking to anyone, but by wife aboard. Some might think otherwise, but I had no reason not to feel free and independent.
Old 06-06-2014, 21:15   #21

Boat: BAYLINER 4788

I pay $2700 a year or $225 a month for a 50' slip in Seward Alaska.

Not a wilderness town. Huge grocery store, hardware stores, restaurants, etc...

Alaska offers some really pristine scenery, things you will not see anywhere else in the world.

Our summers are georgous. Highs in the 60's and 70's.

Winter is another story. Seward doesn't get much snow or really cold temperatures but its cold and rainy all winter. Not a pleasant place to be.

But, that's why I have a boat. So I can travel in the winter to somewhere warmer.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:33   #22

Bear steaks can be a throw of the dice. If you get a good bear, then they are delicious. If you get a bad bear it is inedible. There really is no way to tell before killing it which it will be. I don't waste my time, moose are more reliable. Once you skin a bear it can be a little unnerving they appear most human.
Old 24-06-2015, 06:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I pay $2700 a year or $225 a month for a 50' slip in Seward Alaska.

Not a wilderness town. Huge grocery store, hardware stores, restaurants, etc...

Alaska offers some really pristine scenery, things you will not see anywhere else in the world.

Our summers are georgous. Highs in the 60's and 70's.

Winter is another story. Seward doesn't get much snow or really cold temperatures but its cold and rainy all winter. Not a pleasant place to be.

But, that's why I have a boat. So I can travel in the winter to somewhere warmer.
Question if you don't mind sharing any thoughts. How unrealistic is it to buy a boat having never had a sailing lesson. live aboard boat, learn to sail slowly, and sail out before winter hits to warmer climates? I think it would take time, so starting in spring may, etc would provide maximum chances. Or better to buy a boat in the south learn to sail and venture up sailing in the spring, and enjoy an alaskan summer?
kmksunfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 07:36   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

The learning to sail part is pretty easy really. Learning to take care of the boat systems takes longer

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-06-2015, 08:01   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Never had bear, are there bear steaks? Are they any good? Are they worth freezing my Bs off for?

Just wondering in case I ever decide to come, in the summer!
Bear steaks are excellent, and nothing beats a smoked bear ham. But then, one would have to actually experience and eat them to know that. Spring bear tastes better than fall bear due to less fat. As mentioned, a skinned bear viewed the first time is unnerving.
Old 24-06-2015, 09:27   #26

We have all manner of edibles, moose, caribou, salmon, halibut, rock fish, shrimp, crab, scallops, just to name a few, now I am hungry, time for some caribou sausage and eggs!

Tags
alaska, cheap, liveaboard, petersburg, wrangell