Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 13:28   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
A New Though for Mats and Condensation Barriers

We've added a new foam mat barrier under our V-berth,- not a lattice for venting air like Dri-Dek or those Foli springs, but a significant insulation barrier.

We saw these first in our grandson's play room as interlocking foam tiles at about one square foot each. They are brightly colored children's tiles containing the letters of the alphabet and sold for less than $14 for 25 square feet at many large discount stores.

Inexpensive and easily cut to fit.
Old 05-12-2016, 13:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: A New Though for Mats and Condensation Barriers

all that matters is : Does it work?

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 14:16   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

I've just added it today, but time will tell. I do know that the foam "cozy" that my cold beer can sits in doesn't offer any ventilation, but the outside grip is never damp! I should admit that I'm never presenting much of a true test sitting in Florida winter weather! I doubt if I ever have more than a 10*C to 12*C difference between the water temperature and my boat interior.
Old 05-12-2016, 14:40   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

This is the same approach sailorchick wrote about. Hope it works well for both of you.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 14:56   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

We use this stuff on our boat and it works; no condensation under the mattresses or cushions. HyperVent Marine - Putting An End To Condensation You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

We also added a layer of duct insulation around the A/C ducts, which greatly reduced the condensation.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 15:41   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

There are 2 things that cause condensation, and the cures are different. Perhaps this is why folks argue over who is right (other than being sailors!).

Cold surface below. In the winter the fiberglass gets cold, and insulating it (sealed to the surface) stops the sweating. Typically they are running heat, so the cabin is dry.

High humidity. Sleep all night and moisture moves from your back, through the mattress to the deck. With nowhere to go... the mattress gets wet. In this case insulation won't help, since the deck is the same temperatures as the air, but moving air helps.

Two separate solutions to two different problems.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:07   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
There are 2 things that cause condensation......................

...Cold surface below..............

...High humidity......................

........Two separate solutions to two different problems.
I can accept this explanation from thinwater, but I'm only concerned with the temperature gradient between the opposite sides of my hull.
My only events of some moisture formed by condensation are at the outer edges of my mattress where it is adjacent to the colder hull. I often experience high humidity in Florida, but my only condensation problems coincide with colder air and water outside my hull.

I'm not disregarding thinwater's wise explanation, 'just focusing on my purpose. Those with relatively high humidity within their boats probably need to address ventilation.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:06   #8

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
We use this stuff on our boat and it works; no condensation under the mattresses or cushions. HyperVent Marine - Putting An End To Condensation You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.
+1 for Hypervent, we've had great success with it.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:16   #9

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Plus 2; we have a predecessor (scrim on both sides, black mesh), and have ordered another 7' for our salon bench.

Sitting where I am now, on the settee around the table, I got up to reorient the cushion cover which had rotated on the foam.

Despite our Pfifertex mesh bottoms, there was signifcant moisture below where I was sitting, let alone sleeping for 8 hours.

Time for some more Hypervent. FWIW, on the East coast at least, we found Defender to be the most affordable when shipping to S FL...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:17   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post

I use Hypervent too with good success. But it is expensive compared with the mats discussed in this thread. If you want to wrap the sides of the hull up to the level of the mattress the mats would be softer with no sharp edges to snag sheets.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:48   #11

I have beed to a brazillion boat shows, but don't recall ever seeing it. Thanks for enlightening me. I'm already thinking of many uses for it. Maybe use it under hatch covers for a little additional insulation? It isn't cheap, but hey, any time something is labeled for boats it automatically costs B.O.A.T. dollars.
Buckanear Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:01   #12

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We've added a new foam mat barrier under our V-berth,- not a lattice for venting air like Dri-Dek or those Foli springs, but a significant insulation barrier.

We saw these first in our grandson's play room as interlocking foam tiles at about one square foot each. They are brightly colored children's tiles containing the letters of the alphabet and sold for less than $14 for 25 square feet at many large discount stores.

Inexpensive and easily cut to fit.
Do you have a product number - and, while it may keep the high latitude cold water temp from hitting the bottom of the mattress, does it prevent condensation under the mattress?

I'm in very warm water/air temperatures, and the plywood base to the seat I mentioned is well away from the hull in both directions...

Warm and isolated hasn't prevented moisture from making it through 4" of foam and sunbrella...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 13:01   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's easy to see a great variety of these "alphabet play mats" by looking at Walmart, Target, Amazon, eBay, etc. for prices from $12 to $24 for about 25 square feet.

I can't tell anyone about how well they work as I just installed it under my V-berth yesterday. I'll be glad to report back with an evaluation after a month or two.
Old 06-12-2016, 13:42   #14

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
I can accept this explanation from thinwater, but I'm only concerned with the temperature gradient between the opposite sides of my hull.
My only events of some moisture formed by condensation are at the outer edges of my mattress where it is adjacent to the colder hull. I often experience high humidity in Florida, but my only condensation problems coincide with colder air and water outside my hull.

I'm not disregarding thinwater's wise explanation, 'just focusing on my purpose. Those with relatively high humidity within their boats probably need to address ventilation.
To get a little technical.....
Air will hold more moisture when warm than cold, which is why we refer to "relative humidity" when talking psychometrics. The moisture is an absolute value in the air, but its percentage will vary with the temperature.
To get condensation, the air is cooled to the point where we reach close to 100% humidity, the air can not hold the moisture anymore, so it condenses out. 100% humidity is also known as the Dew Point!

Purpose of this explanation is to introduce how insulation works. It insulates a surface and thus changes the surface temperature. To stop condensation, of course it needs to have a vapour barrier on the exposed side, otherwise the moist air penetrates. If you want to start calculating things, we can define the insulation values necessary for different temperatures to ensure the moist air is never exposed to a surface that is below the dew-point temperature. When that is done, we avoid condensation.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 17:31   #15

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:

you could insulate. i insulated the inside of my boat with armaflex. 1/2" thick on the hull and 1/4" thick on the underside of the deck in the v-berth (the only place i had minor trouble with condensation on the 'ceiling'). it's about 7.50 a square foot if you have to pay for it but, it's excellent. it holds the heat in and keeps the cold out. it's moisture and mildew proof. you use spray adhesive to apply it. it's very dense and you can use spray adhesive to put vinyl or other materials on it as a wall covering without having to epoxy stringers on the inside of the fiberglass. i can't recommend it enough.

i got mine for free but, if i had to pay for it, i would.

for my v-berth, i lined the hull below the berth with armaflex and then i installed a nice wooden duct register on the side of the upraised v-berth to allow warm air to circulate between the insulated hull and the surface the mattress is on.
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation