Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2018, 12:04   #16

Boat: 1997 Hunter 280
Re: Advice for transporting my boat and myself to VA, USA

Lauren, I forgot to mention - most of the Yacht Clubs and marina's on both sides of the Sound are hiring seasonal help as they're all starting to haul and winterize now. Chances are you can find work and maybe even some good sources and friends to help you.
salfarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 12:16   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

When I was really broke I knocked on doors with a bucket full of cleaning stuff and a toolbelt asking who wants stuff done around their house. Quickly had more offers than time, kept putting my rate up for each next client, before I knew it was able to rent my own place and buy a car.

They say right now is the tightest job market for many decades
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 13:51   #18

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Hi Lauren, west coast guy here. Older than dirt. Lauren there is hardly anything more depressing than having no money. Boats are just holes to throw your money into...basically a cash flush toilet. But they bring such joy...an illusion of sorts.

In some respects i think the Youtube era has influenced many people with their seductive stories. I know i watch 3-4 channels with interest. Delos, Lucky Fish, Zingaro, Wynns....etc....who would not be seduced by such things?

I can't remember the name of the young lady...Liz...who is a surfer on a boat...watched some of hers....what a seduction of the soul. Freedom...adventure....solitude...beauty of the environment....rocked to sleep by mother ocean. That it is proposed that mankind came out of the sea...heretics....that our bodily fluids are saline....why we have such inbred wonder lust.

I admire you Lauren for having the guts to attempt what you did. Me...heck, i spent 40 years working in health care and 6 years to get a Master's degree. Never had the huevos to cut free and do what you are attempting to do. I had to have all my eggs lined up...health care for life...retirement income that will support me and the wife...everything paid off. Now...I just keep my fingers crossed that the health won't fail me. You think you are crazy? No...it is us ancient ones that are crazy. It is a huge risk the way i have done it. I can only hope the fates will show me mercy.

Lauren, you have no money, no motor, and winter closing in on you fast. You can not stay on that boat during the winter. You have a basic kayak. You have no real way to generate heat...let alone the type of heat you will need to survive at that latitude. Can you imagine a Nor easter and no way to even get to shore?

Take it from an older than dirt type of guy....(as others have said) your life does matter...to your family...to human beings who know of your situation...and to God. If you have made an error in your first steps then just think how sweet your second attempts will be toward success. I think it is life itself teaching you and all of us the hard lessons we need to get to our goals. It takes industry of motion...conservation of cash...a dash of luck....introspection of our own spirit...and the will to achieve our goals.

Right now....think it through very carefully what to do next. If you cut the boat loose...you lost some cash....but you gained a true insight into what a life it is...you now understand what you need to get what you want. So, don't think of losing the boat as a huge loss. The boat is just a thing. It can be replaced later.

Get south to family and friends and get stabilized mentally and financially. Work your tail off and gather funds...You absolutely can achieve your goals. You don't need a 60 foot Hinkley or Swan.

I...and all of us...want you healthy and successful...God Bless
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 13:53   #19

Boat: Pearson Coaster 30

Boatman,
Thank you for the info, but I’m curious, why put water in the bilge?

Neil,
Thank you so much, it means a lot. I’ve been pretty convinced that I wouldn’t be able to make it, and only out of sheer desperation am I really considering it at this point.

Daviddiscenza,
You’re right and I wouldn’t have attempted to sail it, nor any part of the ICW without an engine, though I did consider trying to find a way to be towed through because I would be fairly comfortable in the protected waters of the Chesapeake and would make it more likely for me to make it to my destination.

Sojurnr,
Thank you also for reaching out to me. I do agree, my life is more important than a boat, I for whatever reason seem to get attached to “things” way to easily. Just to clarify though, I am NOT in any immediate danger.
The rest of your reply is also very well thought out and has given me a lot to think about as well, thank you again so much for your advice.

Salfarina,
Your advice is sound, though my priority is to get the f*** OUT of NY because I wasn’t supposed to be here to begin with. Ideally that would be With my boat, however, it’s looking less and less likely that I’ll be able to manage that. Thank you very much also for suggesting SUNY Mairtime, having at one point wanted to attend, I will probably end up contacting them first if my decision is to give up my boat. Additionally, I have in fact put my name in at several of those marinas to no avail. Thank you again, it’s all been really helpful.

John61ct,
I will definitely keep that option on my mind, even for when I make it to VA.

When I left my home to come get this boat, the ultimate goal was to establish my life in VA near my family, where I have a support network sort of in place already. I suppose it was shortsightedness on my part that got me in this predicament to begin with... My priority is to get south, ideally with my boat, but if not, I still need to get there, where I have things worked out for my treatment, where I have family and friends close at hand, and not feel as forlorn as I do in this city. I didn’t come here with the intent to stay and still don’t intend to. Nothing that has happened to me here has endeared this city to me and a lot has had the opposite effect, with the exceptions of a few people I’ve met.

As always, thank you all for your advice, input, and suggestions, I will put them to good use,

Lauren
edge0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 14:07   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice for transporting my boat and myself to VA, USA

You said your bilge pump is untested..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 14:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You said your bilge pump is untested..

Ahh, yes. Not due to lack of water, but lack of voltage.
Old 18-10-2018, 15:12   #22

Alansmith, thank you for your thoughts and encouragement, though I’m sorry that I somehow missed your response when I wrote mine below. You’re quite right, if I get nothing else out of this, admit defeat and give up the boat, I did gain the experience of living on board for these few months, as well as the sailing lessons and a much better understanding of boats and the maintenance required than I had before I got here. As I said, if I was able to do it this way, when things were literally the hardest they could possibly be, when I get into the situation I actually had planned on being in, essentially a floating apartment in a slip, it will indeed be that much sweeter and I’ll have the hard stuff under my belt in the event anything like that may happen again. Thank you again.
Old 18-10-2018, 16:54   #23

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I can somewhat identify with your situation. I also created a timeline that I was unable to fulfill, causing much upset and depression. You must at this point alter your plans. Without the finances you are not going to get that boat south this year. So you have options, pull the boat out of the water, store it until next year so that you will have a fresh start. Or, sell or give the boat away and earn enough money to buy another, preferably one with a running engine. There are scores of boats for sale that can be bought for $4000-6,000.
Part of your problem is lack of knowledge, you can cure that in a short period of time. I think you went off half- cocked without understanding what is required. I don’t think you understand the requirements to live aboard a boat, especially in the winter in Virginia which is going to see some very cold/ freezing weather.
Your basic plan is great, you need to work on your nautical skills and you also need to work on yourself. Do what ever you need to do to get your depression under control, if you follow your lifestyle plan you can enjoy and and have a very fruitful life. Good luck.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 17:18   #24

Boat: Valiant 40

If it were spring I would offer you all kinds of encouragement, advice, etc. But it is not. There is no holding back winter and you don’t have what you need in terms of equipment, resources, and situation to winter over where you are.

Put simply, if you don’t have the power to run a bilge pump, you don’t have a boat that you can sail around Long Island and down to Norfolk, sailing experience aside.

Donate the boat or give it away. Take a bus to Norfolk. Take care of yourself.

A boat is just a machine. There are lots of them out there. If you still have the desire to try again you will and I would certainly hope that everyone here will be cheering you on and offering you advice along the way.
Old 18-10-2018, 17:34   #25

Hi,

I'm in the area, NJ near Manhattan. Let me know if you need anything. I know the area well between where you are and Sandy Hook.

What is wrong with your motor? Is it possible to fix?

Others are right that this would be a very tough winter for you, and without a motor your options unfortunately seem very limited.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 19:19   #26

Suijen,
Thank you... I think that is probably the conclusion I’ve come to as well... I’m going to try and part with the boat, as much as I hate the idea of doing it. But if I hear of a way that allows me to keep it, I probably will, it really is a comfortable boat for me to live on and the challenges it presents as far as learning (it really would be a good boat to teach repairs on) aren’t out of the realm of my ability. Even replacing the engine, really not a big deal for me, IF I could find one. Anyway, thank you again, it is very sound advice.

Odonnelryan,
Actually yes, if you happened to know of a more or less known business that rents boat trailers or maybe builds trailers for boats? It seems like talking to them would probably be a good way to get some information on specifics about hauling, boats out of water. Or perhaps another place that may take a boat for teaching or something, I would really like to do something useful with the boat, even in giving up on it if possible.
The biggest problem I have is an empty engine compartment, so no problem with the engine, just no engine. Thank you also!

Lauren
Old 18-10-2018, 19:25   #27

Boat: O'Day 26

Lauren:
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 19:36   #28

I don't know anyone who offers those services, but I imagine you can get your boat hauled local to you for much less than the cost to trailer the boat. $2k would be the high end I imagine (my 37' boat cost $1800 and that is what I consider an expensive marina otherwise) for winter storage. My other boat, a 25', cost about $1k up in Haverstraw NY.

I think it is too late in the season for you to think about fixing the boat. After you secure transport home, I would see if you can get enough money to have it stored on the hard at a marina for the winter. I don't think it is unsafe for you to transport it to a local marina there on the sound.

Then, next spring if you are still interested, maybe you can find some resources to get you a basic motor. If not, there are places you can donate a boat to local, I believe.

Not sure if the transom is up for it, but for the ICW an outboard can work! Well for blue water too, has been done of course, but less desirable.

First you should ensure you have a way to get somewhere to live, do you have that sorted?
Old 18-10-2018, 19:59   #29

Odonnellryan,
I think I have a friend concerned about me driving out to visit me next weekend, he may end up just taking me and all of my stuff back with him for a little while... honestly, I’m pretty sure that’s going to happen no matter what, because it at least gets me out of the city.

So it will probably come down to what I can figure out in the next week as to what happens to my boat. If I can find a way to keep it within that time frame, great, otherwise it’ll end up donated if I can’t sell it.

I don’t see a feasible way to earn that much money to have it hauled out in such a short time frame. I don’t think I could wait longer than that either, honestly...

Thank you very much for the info,
Lauren

Lauren
Old 18-10-2018, 20:12   #30

Sounds like you have it figured out. Let me know if you need anything, and good luck. We all make mistakes and have setbacks, don't let it get you down too much.

Tags
boat