Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 18:50   #46
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Advice for transporting my boat and myself to VA, USA

+1 fully agree x100
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 20:16   #47

Boat: Pearson Coaster 30

So my situation has changed dramatically over the past day or so. I have transport out of NYC and to VA covered for sure, I’ve sold the boat for what I bought it for to a gentleman who, apparently had been after this boat in particular for years. This same gentleman offered me a mooring and the ability to stay on my boat until my friend gets here. Even suggested that he knew of another boat he may be able to help me secure down in VA, a 29’ Ericsson, again basically for what I paid for this one. I think I may have a berth secured on another larger boat already when I get to VA assuming I have the first months rent in hand when I get there and can find work shortly thereafter, and even then, it seems like the owner of the boat is pretty laid back and there might be more flexibility when I share my story. We’ve spoken once over the phone already and she seems extremely nice, nice enough to say she wasn’t going to pursue other responses to the ad I found until I know better what’s happening next week.

Clamdigger,
No I never registered the boat because as I read the NY law, I had 90 days in NY waters before I needed to do so and was not going to end up here that long; registering it was going to wait until I got to VA, which never happened, so all I have is the paperwork I signed when the sale was made. But as I said above, I’ve sold the boat and the point is pretty much moot now.

Coastalexplorer,
Thank you for the info, but unfortunately I won’t be needing it in the near future now. And yes, prop, shaft, stuffing box, and even the flange to mount to the transmission on back of the motor is still here, though. Thank you again!

Hamburking,
I know I am not anywhere near that level of experience, I wouldn’t even attempt the close-quarters sailing. I have however with this boat learned to sail it solo for what I personally consider long distances. I’ve been out on the sound all day just on leave-and-return trips several times. But doing that helped me to understand that my level of skill is certainly lacking. How does the saying go? “I’ve learned enough to know how much I don’t know,” or something like that? I am at least glad I found a boat fitting my needs though, that builds my confidence for finding my next boat. And I’ll also keep in mind posting my availability in local yards and marinas too. Thank you so much!

Sailorman Ed,
That’s exactly what I’m doing. I’ve been lucky insofar as to be able to get the boat off my hands and being able to get to VA. Thank you!

Atlantical,
Thank you very much for your encouragement and the anecdote of your own adventure. It really is inspiring and six weeks or a month ago, I may have done just that, in fact it was my intent, throw caution to the wind and just do it. However I do have other, safer options. I’m also a survivalist/prepper type person, so I like preparing myself for the potential problems I may face, and right now I don’t even know what all those may entail, so how can I possibly even educate myself on how to deal with them? Your encouragement also seems to run counter to what the majority of people on this forum have suggested and especially to what the local few sailors I know and have spoken with this about counsel. They do know the waters around LI and down by NJ, and say it is REALLY not something someone with my level of experience should attempt. That was hard to accept, but they have the experience and I don’t, so until I at least have more, I should probably heed their words of caution. Additionally, selling the kayak to stock my boat eliminates my only way on and off the boat and is not possible. Thank you though, I really do appreciate the encouragement.

Odonnellryan,

My thoughts on the east river were the same, but the right quarters would make me more nervous than anything. If I did even try it, it might take me longer to do it comfortably than sailing around LI itself. I’m inclined to agree, with what I’ve learned here visiting different marinas, I have every confidence I will find a boat in similar and probably better condition than this one in short order. Someone on one of my other posts on here told me boats literally grow on trees, and I’m coming to discover that they are in fact correct.

Clamdigger,
No worries, I’m already following through on other courses of action, following atlantical’s advice is not possible at this point, even IF I hadn’t had ample advice to the contrary both here and from the sailors I’ve met here. It was through one of them that I found the gentleman I’m selling my boat to.

As always, thank you all, I appreciate all of your kind words and sound advice, more than I can express in words.

Lauren
edge0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 20:29   #48

Congrats Lauren! That's wonderful news! It could not have worked out better for you than what you accomplished in the last 24hrs! You could tell we were all trying to help you safely arrive down to VA. You made the correct decision under tremendous pressure, that is a trait of a good sailor....patience!

Hopefully, once you get settled, you can find the local chapter of the US Power Squadron and USCG Auxiliary; and take some of their Winter classes so you'll have more knowledge to pursue sailing in the Spring. Best of luck to you, hope you come back to the forum during the Winter it makes for great reading indoors.....where it's warm!
Old 19-10-2018, 20:43   #49

East River is not a problem with a motor. Came through there just a couple of months ago, passed right by City Island. But without a motor, the currents are strong, for at least a mile or so stretch the river is not so wide (at various points), and wind is entirely unpredictable. Maybe some would attempt it, and I'm sure it has been done at some point, but not worth it. Also you can't really just throw down your anchor anywhere during much of the transit. It's possible to do perfectly safe, but if you throw too many variables at it who knows what will happen (you'll probably bump into something).

Glad to hear you are safe. Post back again when you have found your new boat, plenty of people are more than happy to help how they can.

I don't know much about the Ericson 29, but I've heard good things about Ericsons in general and of course many have crossed oceans.

Again, glad to hear you are safe. One step at a time. I learned with boat things that taking your time, no matter if it is buying a boat, fixing something, or deciding on an upgrade, pays off a LOT. So take it slow. See what is out there. There will always be another boat.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 22:29   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

This list seems to be full of nattering nabobs of negativism. You don't need an engine to move a sailboat. It's a sail boat for God's sake and is propelled by sails and wind. There in lies the rub. You need to learn how to sail the boat if you haven't already picked up the skill. You can only do that by going sailing. Take it out in the daytime and practice making it move in whatever condtions are happening. Reef the main, change headsails, heave to, anchor and anything else that comes to mind whether it needs to be done or not just for practice. Get very familiar with your anchor as you will need it often sailing without a motor. Do a couple of 24 hour sails even if it's boring holes in the water close to your mooring. There is a phsychological thing about sailing at night that you need to over come to become comfortable. Become familiar with the difficulties of working the boat when you can't see crap and figure out where you are from shore. Assume you have a gps, use it to be sure you don't get near anything hard. If you can find used chart books and cruising guides of the Chesapeake and places along the way, find some way to attain them. For me it's way easier to look at a chart than a plotter screen to figure out what's going on around me. Once you feel relatively comfortable, head south at the first favorable weather window. Don't take a chance on the weather, have patience and go with as long a forecast of good weather as comes along. Impatience kills more sailors than any other thing. I'm sure you are aware but you've only got 6 weeks or so before it starts getting really cold and days very short.

There seems to be great trepidation on this list to get outside in the ocean. For me it's way safer to be 20 miles or a 1,000 offshore than hugging the coast ducking into an unfamiliar harbor after dark, dodging power boats in the inland waterway and winds seem to be steadier and stronger offshore. Offshore you can sail without fear other than keeping a lookout for other boats, sail as many hours as you can stand then heave to when you get tired. 5 days to a week you should be in Hampton Roads. Haven't been there in a long time but there are a lot of choices for anchoring, mooring, or slips in a 20 mile radius. If you don't develop confidence in your ability to sail and navigate figure out how you can keep the boat in its current area. FWIW, have pretty much done what you contemplate with only a couple weekend saisl under my belt except it was in a bit warmer climate.

Have wintered over in a marina in Norfoik. You will need some source of heat unless you are the hardy arctic loving type. Seldom gets really cold but after December daytime temps in high 30s low 40s are common with below freezing nights. Luckily spring comes early but still cold spells through March. Definitely would think about getting some form of heat. Have used a propane catalytic heater in other places that worked fine but install a CO detector BEFORE using any heater. I was in a marina with two electric heaters that maxed out the 30 amp hookup and never felt warm from January into March. Got real familiar with my sleeping bag.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 03:41   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice for transporting my boat and myself to VA, USA

Hi Lauren.. glad to hear you've resolved your problems in a somewhat satisfactory manner.. should ease the need for meds a touch and give you a good boost.
Your mention of survivalism brought a thought to mind.. survivalism at sea is different altogether and having months of food and water is low on the list.. in fact going coastal its irrelevant as a 5litre jug of water, a pack of ham, some cheese and a loaf of bread can carry one for a few days.. Nature and Sods Law are a lot harder to anticipate than men assualting a fortess.. though many presume otherwise..
Be well and best wishes on your new adventure..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 14:15   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

Glad you got your problems resolved, and it seems like a good outcome. Glad you haven't given up on the boat idea, first time I did what you are doing, I never wanted to own another boat, as my outcome was similar to yours. Took me a few years to get back to the idea, but I have spent my life working at sea. I was going to say to you, that in the USA the salvation army will buy you a bus ticket, if you have an address in another town or state that will take you in, there is also food banks, where you can get a week or so worth of food, never had to do any of that in the USA, but I know plenty of people who have. I did though use the food bank in Bermuda.

When I am in a tight situation I think of what Hunter S Thomson said "who is the happier man, he who braved the storm of life and lived, or he who stayed securely on shore and merely existed
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 14:33   #53

Lauren
You got some good advice here, and it appears by your plan of action that you sorted this pretty complicated problem out in just a few days.
Which is pretty darn impressive.
It’s terrific you’ve found a way to leave the boat in good hands, recover some money, and get to a place where you have family and access to care (most important).
Next Spring, when you are hopefully in better shape - emotionally, and financially, you can pick up where you left off, with a bit more time to learn a new boat and plan a journey with more time to do things safely and with more care.
As others have said, there are plenty of nice, reasonably priced boats out there.
My strong recommendation would be to buy one with a working engine next time. This could be a working outboard. This will give you much more flexibility and is an important safety factor, in my opinion.
Have a safe and healthful winter, and we will be looking for an update come Spring. I’m sure if you return to this forum you’ll get plenty of advice when it comes time to pick out a new boat and plan you next adventure.
Well done Lauren.
Kipwrite
kipwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 18:26   #54

Boat: O'Day 26

Lauren:

Glad to see all is working out and that you will be in Virginia soon hopefully with family until you get things sorted out. You should not consider the decision to abandon your effort to get yourself and boat south this fall as a failure, but rather a wise and prudent decision. As I know you are aware, you have received some excellent advice from many who have expressed their concern for your welfare.

Under the circumstances, a decision to make the effort to sail your boat alone to Virginia, with what appears to be your present sailing experience, and without a motor, would have been extremely foolhardy. Blue water sailors may fare well absent an engine, but it is extremely more hazardous for coastal sailors. Trust me, irrespective of certain careless advice offered you by a minority on this site, had you had elected to sail south the result would most likely have been unfavorable.

You know what you need to do to care for yourself and I'm sure we all look forward to hearing from you once you get yourself "squared away" with a job and, of course, another sailboat as I do not believe you will give it up!

Best wishes
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 09:47   #55

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
This list seems to be full of nattering nabobs of negativism. You don't need an engine to move a sailboat. It's a sail boat for God's sake and is propelled by sails and wind. There in lies the rub. You need to learn how to sail the boat if you haven't already picked up the skill...

Doesn’t seem like you actually read her description of her circumstances or the discussion of her options. If you are in fact urging her to head out Long Island Sound and then down the coast, solo given her level of experience and equipment (or lack thereof) then you are being highly irresponsible. If you’re recommending she get more experience then get in line as that’s pretty much what everyone else said.
Old 21-10-2018, 10:53   #56
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, time and place for everything.

Freezing temps, no money, no motor, is not the context to make a long trip alone out to the open Atlantic in bad weather to "gain experience".
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat