Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2008, 09:15   #31
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Congrats Sly - as I said in an earlier post, the Alberg 30 is not only pretty and well made, she is extremely well balanced and suprisingly quick. A great boat at a great price - enjoy!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 10:50   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSly View Post
I purchased the Alberg 30 for $10,000. Now I am just working on getting it down here, I already replaced the running rigging.

Sly
Congrats! - Pics would be great
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 11:01   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Congrats! I have seen many of the old girls around the Chesapeake. They also catch my attention!
Old 13-03-2008, 11:38   #34

Thanks everyone. I am really excited about the purchase, the only problem I have with it is getting it into the states. It is up in Vancouver BC, I plan on bringing it down to Bellingham WA in a couple of weekends but there is a lot of paperwork.

Sly
JRSly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 19:58   #35

Boat: 1962 Sunfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I have always heard that the happiest 2 days of a boat owner is the day of purchase, and the day of sale. It's not true, so enjoy enjoy enjoy. When I sold my first boat Frolic after 17 years. I was truly unhappy..........
I believe that only refers to motorboats.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:29   #36

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sly,
How was the transit? Any pictures yet?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:24   #37

Well, everything actually went really well. Bringing it down wasn't much hassle at all. I already had the title transferred and it registered in Washington, so customs was good with that. I had my numbers on it before we even made it to the US. I talked to a customs broker about bringing it down, and depending on the port I wanted to bring it thought changed how much of a hassle it would be. Bringing it in one marine to clear customs would have cost me about $250 ($450 if I couldn't have proven that it was a Canadian made boat). Bringing it into the one I wanted to clear with cost me $27 dollars for a customs decal and that was it. I didn't really understand the difference in price, but I didn't argue. So it is now in my home port, slowing being cleaned up. One large task I am going to have to do is a over haul on the Atomic 4. Coming down we tossed an alternator belt, we did have a spare on board, but while replacing it we bumped the pipe that is used to drain the engine for winterizing purposes. This pipe was extremely corroded, and just fell off. So when ever the engine ran, water would shoot into the bilge and not out the exhaust. We were lucky to find this in a marine with a store near by so we fixed it, but it isn't a permanent fix (although no leaks, we tapped new threads and threaded a bolt into the old whole). This made me want to check the whole engine out, so the next project is taking it out of the boat to repair and replace what needs to be. Besides that 5 hour delay, it went really well.

I will try to put some pictures up, and when I do I will reply to this thread. As for now, I am heading down to put some nice new dock lines on.

Sly
JRSly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 07:31   #38

Boat: '80 CSY 33 - Carey On
For what it's worth*, I live on an Albin Vega 27 in Victoria, BC, so we're in the same basic climate, and the boats are very similar, both in terms of size and layout.

Some 'important' info for you:
A 1,500-watt electric heater keeps it plenty warm enough - we saw some sub-zero temperatures in my first few weeks of living aboard, and while I wasn't willing to wander around the boat naked :P I certainly wasn't freezing by any means.

In terms of winter condensation, water-heater insulation (bubble-wrap with one size metallic/reflective) throughout the vberth will go a long ways towards keeping your bedstuffs dry, and as a hull liner wherever there are shelves exposed to hull sides will keep your "et cetera" dry as well.

I apologize in advance as I skipped page 2 so this may have been mentioned, but make sure that you put a HOLDING TANK at the top of the list of things to install if there isn't one already; no matter how flexible and adaptable you think you are, without one you WILL eventually end up just pissing in the sink instead of walking in the wind and rain to the marina bathrooms at 2:00 am. :P

I'm finding that she provides more than enough room for my needs; if you can accept the size, you'll love it. Congrats.

* I'm only just barely 5'8" when I first wake up. :P
ColdNorth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30