Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2008, 02:23   #1

Alberg 30?

First let me start by saying this is my first post, but I have been reading the posts on hear for over a year and I have found a lot of great info, so thanks everyone

Now on to my question. I have found the "what is the best boat" question on here tons of times using the search function, so I am not going to ask that, but I have to admit that it is kind of related.

I have been researching and looking at as many sailboats as I can for at least two years, and it is time. The reason why I have been waiting is mainly money, I don't have much of it (I am a graduate student) so I had to save up, plus I didn't want to buy the wrong boat. I know what I want in a boat, because I know what I want to do with it, but I am having a hard time finding the right boat. I am hoping to find a boat that I love, get it ready to live on and move aboard this summer when my lease is up in my apartment. The major limiting factor is that I have probably about $12,000 to spend, maybe $15,000. I was hoping I could find something a little cheaper than this so I could have some extra to put into it if needed (like maybe a stove if it doesn't have one, or a fridge I don't know, but the extra money would be nice). I am not planning on doing much cruising in it right now (I need to finish school, I have about a year left in my program), I might do some coastal cruising in a couple years. So because it will be at the dock a lot the first year, I don't mind getting about that needs a little work, as long as it is more work and less money. Another thing that I would want if I am going to live on it is standing headroom (or almost standing headroom) at least in the galley. This isn't that important, but I think it would be a lot easier to live on if I can stand up while I am cooking. Because of this I think I need something in the 27'-30' range, oh and I am around 6'1"-6'2" just so everyone knows. I have looked at Pearson's, Catalina's, Newport's, Miller's, ect... All ranging from 26'-30' in length. I have found some that I liked, but nothing that I loved. Well, I found a Alberg 30 for sale that is pretty close to me (about 60 miles away). Normally these are just at the edge of my price range ($15,000), but this guy is asking $11,500. I have never been on board an Alberg 30, so I don't really know what to expect because pictures online can't show you everything, but from the pictures I did see I liked the looks of the boat. I have been reading everything I can find on them, and there is a huge community, so help on maintenance should be easy to find, plus I love the looks of a more classic looking boat. They aren't exactly set up the best to liveaboard, but I would have around $3,000 dollars to put into it as well. So my question really is what do the experts think, do you think an Alberg 30 would do, how does the space on one compare to something like a Newport 28 (I have seen a lot of these, that is why I want to use it as a comparison). The beam on an Alberg 30 is pretty small for a boat that long, it is only 8'9". I have read that the boats are build very well, and that they age well (this one is a 1974), but the only downside I have really found is the small beam will give me less storage/living space. Is there anything else I should worry about or know about these boats. What other boats would to recommend looking at. I tried to find a Pearson Triton close by, but there isn't any for sale.

I live in Bellingham, Washington by the way, so if you know of any 27'-30' boats in Washington for sale that would fit my list (less than $15,000, at least 6'1" headroom, suitable storage/living space for liveaboard, ect...), just drop me an email.

So I am planning on going up to check this boat out on Sunday, is there anything I should really look for when looking to buy a used, older boat?

Any information that you want to share is welcome. I am pretty new to the sailboating world, so any advice is appreciated. Boat suggestions to check out, galley, head, living and storage space necessities, really anything.

Well I think it is time to end this post, it is already so long that most people probably wont read it.

Thanks in advance,
Sly
JRSly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 05:28   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Sly, as a previous owner I can tell you that the Alberg 30 is a superb boat. They have safely circumnavigated and are seakindly, extremely well-balanced and well made. Having said that, the interior is decidedly on the small side for a liveaboard - especially if you are not looking towards extended passages in a small boat.

There is headroom in the main saloon up to the point of the drop-off in the coachouse. The main saloon, however, consists of two opposing settees (which do make ideal sea-berths), with a stove on one side and a sink on the other, aft by the companionway. There is a v-berth forward, and a small hanging locker and a head on the opposing side in between.

The Newport 28 was a C&C design, as I recall, and hence provides good performance for what was intended as cruiser/club racer. She will point higher than the Alberg (albeit be less balanced and not track as well) and has a decidedly better layout for living aboard (including a dinette table) with an opposing settee. While she is not intended for circumnavigating, I suspect that this is not part of your intended use. By all means look at the Alberg (they are beautiful, surprisingly fast for a full keel, and incredibly well-balanced). But as a potential liveaboard.....

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 06:33   #3

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
JRSly,
The Alberg 30 is a great boat. I read about a couple raising a child on one. This blew my mind, but it shows that you can adapt to the size and space issues if you choose. I think they are beautiful. As cost is your biggest constraint, your choices become easier . I say go for it. By the time you have finished school, and found a mate, you will be able to afford a larger boat! And the resale on the Alberg should be decent as long as you keep her clean and don't rip out the chainplates.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 08:33   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Welcome! From the sounds of things you are heading down the right road with the right questions. As I am sure you know already their is no such thing as the "perfect" boat for many reasons - often (usually?!) including money......it's a matter of accepting compromises that YOU can live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSly View Post
Another thing that I would want if I am going to live on it is standing headroom (or almost standing headroom) at least in the galley. This isn't that important, but I think it would be a lot easier to live on if I can stand up while I am cooking.
I think this is very sensible, and at 6'2" is not impossible to acheive at least somewhere down below and the Galley is a good place - I would also throw in being able to stretch out fully on your bunk (b#gger the crew!).

Quote:
but from the pictures I did see I liked the looks of the boat.
IMO that is fundamentaly important

Quote:
I have been reading everything I can find on them, and there is a huge community, so help on maintenance should be easy to find,
As someone starting out and also with an older boat I would consider this a major plus - no point re-inventing the wheel when you can use other people's hard won experiances.

Quote:
but I would have around $3,000 dollars to put into it as well.
Having a decent reserve kitty (or a good income) is IMO a very important thing to have - whatever s/h boat yer buy their will always be some things you either want or need to do. and those "few dollars" here and their always add up......no sense being a proud new boat owner and being tied to the dock for the sake of a few dollars.

Quote:
So my question really is what do the experts think, do you think an Alberg 30 would do, how does the space on one compare to something like a Newport 28 (I have seen a lot of these, that is why I want to use it as a comparison). The beam on an Alberg 30 is pretty small for a boat that long, it is only 8'9". I have read that the boats are build very well, and that they age well (this one is a 1974), but the only downside I have really found is the small beam will give me less storage/living space. Is there anything else I should worry about or know about these boats. What other boats would to recommend looking at. I tried to find a Pearson Triton close by, but there isn't any for sale.
Wrong side of the Atlantic, so I have no clue about what boats are good or only so so in your part of the world - but on paper (Well, Googles) an Alberg 30 looks suitable enough for your purposes - fair enuf that abit bigger as a liveaboard would be nice for space and stowage - but from the looks of her she has enough room if you want to liveaboard and are prepared to accept the downsides (as well as the plusses) from doing so on any boat........IMO you will find out when you move aboard whether you hate the concept.........and in that case another couple of inches will not have been the difference between happiness and frustration. As I said to the Wife

Remember plans and dreams do change, so in a couple of years you may have completly different ideas - even without a boat - so getting a boat with a good chance of easier resale is a good idea. IME a boat that is well maintained (even if basic) and has a recognisable name will always sell.........but being aboard a boat that you know could go anywhere (albeit possibly with a few tweeks), may be useful for the day you wake up one morning and say to yourself "b#gger all this - I'm off"

Quote:
So I am planning on going up to check this boat out on Sunday, is there anything I should really look for when looking to buy a used, older boat?
Yes. everything Make sure everything onboard works as it is meant to.

Chat to the owner and get a feel ........for what sort of care he / she has taken of the boat and ASK upfront what works, what doesn't and what he thinks will need attention or replacement sooner rather than later......most people are quite honest or at least hate saying direct lies face to face - in any case once you have a look and see that a few obvious things do not work, it is then easy to know that you have been lied to - which is the time to walk away (on the basis that you have probably been lied to about stuff you have not spotted).

Do not let things being wrong put you off, just make a list of the stuff that YOU want onboard the boat, and tick off every boat against this list and then add up what you would need to add in $$$ terms......that way you get to assess whether the boat with a cooker and a new Mainsail is of more value to YOU than one that instead has a Chartplotter and some new rigging.

Oh yeah, check the Seacocks work (on and off)

Quote:
Well I think it is time to end this post, it is already so long that most people probably wont read it.
Folk here like to help, especially to folk doing the stuff they now wish they had started at an earlier age

PS, I have today just spent a large chunk of the refurb kitty on a brand spanking new..........motorbike (don't tell anyone ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 11:30   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sly,
Alberg 30 is a good choice. Someone else mentioned Newports and they, by far, have the roomiest interiors for small older boats I've ever seen. The Alberg will be more stable in a seaway but the Newport will point higher and turn on a dime. Each boat is a compromise and I think the Newports made a 30 too.
Keep asking questions and you'll get lots of opinions here.
Welcome aboard!
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 16:51   #6

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
I am extrememly impressed with the Newport 30 and would sail her up-and-down the coast all year long. However, I am committed to honing my skills on her and then trading up; the probable candidate currently is a Crealock designed Pacific Seacraft 34 or 37. I also am impressed with what I've read about the Vallaint and Cabo Rico as well as the Nautucat. Lots of nice boats, so little time. . . .
Old 16-02-2008, 18:22   #7

Boat: Endeavour 52 1991 Priority
great CANADIAN built boat, the factory was only 20 km ...12 miles from my home. solid classic vessel that have been around for 40 plus years. my parents own hull #367.
lovsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 21:36   #8

Wow, thanks for all the info everyone. I actually saw one in person today while walking the docks. Didn't get to see in the cabin, but it is a beautiful boat on the outside. I think as long as I feel there is enough room to live on board, and the shape of the boat I am going to look at tomorrow is good, I will take the opportunity to own a classic. If I feel it isn't big enough I will keep on searching, I will just have to cross off the Alberg 30. If it isn't in good shape, I will just look for another.

Thanks again, and I will tell you what I decided when I get back tomorrow.
Sly
Old 16-02-2008, 22:33   #9

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
Mate if you get a chance to check out a newport30 have a look. i bought one and love it. i am 6'1 and can sleep streched out in the V birth(has the add in bit to make it a double) or on the settee in the saloon. my V birth is 1.95m long and my settee is 1.88m long. full standing room in saloon and galley and just have to bend a fraction for head and V birth entry.
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 01:13   #10

Alright, strange story. I haven't been in a Newport 30', I have seen them on the docks, but haven't looked inside. They are almost always out of my price range, and I haven't seen one in my price range that is close enough to even look at. Well I had a couple recommendations in this post to check one out, so I was thinking I would if I got the opportunity...Well I did a quick search of Newport 30's in Washington, if nothing else to see the prices again, and the interior pictures. Well one popped up in my home marina, a Newport 30' 1982. I never saw it before because it was listed above my limit (I searched with an upper limit of $15,000), but this one was just reduced from $20,000 to $12,000 for a fast sell. They aren't open tomorrow, but I plan on trying to find it on the dock tomorrow when I get back from looking at the Alberg, and hopefully I will have a look first thing Monday morning to compare the two.

Sly
Old 17-02-2008, 01:29   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Sly,

Good stuff, always worth having a look around in person for boats for sale (especially at the cheaper end of the market) - and having a chat to folk in the area (local boat owners and boat yards), not everything makes it onto the internet.

Down to $12k? No reason not to still put in an offer
Old 17-02-2008, 05:08   #12
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i'd take a look at the alberg 35 also. it would provide a lot more room if you were going to stay aboard.
Old 17-02-2008, 22:47   #13

Well, the Alberg was in pretty good shape for the price. Needs some TLC, a little minor work, but nothing too serious or expensive. I am hopefully going to see the Newport tomorrow. So I will hopefully know after that.

Sly
Old 18-02-2008, 00:08   #14

Oh I forgot to mention that he said I can have the Alberg for $10,000. The guy is asking $12,000 for Newport 30' MKII, I haven't seen it yet, but I could probably get it for less.

Sly
Old 18-02-2008, 11:07   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Things are looking promising - but be sure to have a good careful think before deciding to go ahead, their is always another boat.

Well, usually

Tags
alberg, alberg 30