Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2014, 14:27   #16

Boat: 30' Sundowner Tug
Re: Ampair 100 windgen

Thanks for that. If you don't mind, how effective is it for battery charging while at anchor? How is it for noise?
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 14:41   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
......................... If you don't mind, how effective is it for battery charging while at anchor? How is it for noise?
I don't get more than 2 or 3 amps at anchor with the wind at 15 to 20. The output is not as good as others, but similar to many. The real pluses are little maintenance, good balance with very little sound and no need for tending at high winds. I keep many eggs in my basket,- engine generator, 7.0KW diesel generator, solar panels, inverter as well as the wind generator. I recently bught a pack of new bearings and brushes for my Ampair, but I have not completed the refit yet.
Old 15-03-2014, 15:17   #18

Re: Ampair 100 Windgen

Thanks again,

Just went to a handy/dandy online calculator and that's equivilant to a 35 watt solar panel going full blast, except it can go whenever the wind does. Reliability, low sound, and not having to worry about it in high winds are major points for me.

I'm thinking trickle charger with periodic charging potential.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 15-03-2014, 15:52   #19

I have one of the Aquair 100's because it came with the boat. The rope & prop for towing in water look like they've never been used.

It's pole mounted and it works - OK - but 100 watts isn't much. It's not in my way though and it runs quietly now so it can stay where it is. Did have to replace the pole mount swivel bush to stop the whole thing wobbling like crazy, suspect it might need frequent replacement.

Stupidly tied the blades to the pole to shut it up in a blow early last year. That caused the plastic blades to take a "set" and of course the wobbling was even worse afterwards.
Duh.
Shimmed the blades to balance and true them when I replaced the bush, don't hear it at all now. Left it spinning all this winter, gales didn't bother it a bit, even when the radar mast bent so far I thought it would buckle.

There are no slip rings or other means provided to stop the cable wrapping round the pole. Surprised me a little but that does happen occasionally. Might make a sprung bump-stop for the swivel when I can be bothered.

I think they tried too hard to make it as versatile as possible, ie pole mounted, hauled aloft on a halyard, towed.

The alternator is gimballed in a stainless hoop meant to be fixed to the pushpit when the heavy prop is towed. The alternator shaft is attached to a long line that looks tough enough to rip the alternator and the pushpit from the boat if the prop were to foul something. We have noo-cular subs round our way.
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 04:08   #20

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I've owned an ampair 100 for about 15 years. it puts out 2 amps in 12 knots of wind. The output charts that come with the wind generator are completely accurate. it's probably the quietest wind generator I've ever seen and definitely the heaviest duty. The drawback is dollar for dollar amperage output is lower than most wind generators
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 07:25   #21

Re: Ampair 100 Windgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I've owned an ampair 100 for about 15 years. it puts out 2 amps in 12 knots of wind. The output charts that come with the wind generator are completely accurate. it's probably the quietest wind generator I've ever seen and definitely the heaviest duty. The drawback is dollar for dollar amperage output is lower than most wind generators
Thanks, that's the kind of information I was looking for.

Excuse my newness with all this, but does the above example mean that if the wind blew for 10 hours overnight it would put 20 amp hours into the batteries...or that it could bring the batteies close to 100% without having to run the engine?
Old 19-03-2014, 11:27   #22

Yes 10 hours at 12 knots will give you 20 amp hours.
Old 19-03-2014, 11:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post

I don't get more than 2 or 3 amps at anchor with the wind at 15 to 20. The output is not as good as others, but similar to many. The real pluses are little maintenance, good balance with very little sound and no need for tending at high winds. I keep many eggs in my basket,- engine generator, 7.0KW diesel generator, solar panels, inverter as well as the wind generator. I recently bught a pack of new bearings and brushes for my Ampair, but I have not completed the refit yet.
When I replaced the bearings on mine I took a bolt that was just smaller in diameter than the bearing, filed the head down so it fit the center the bearing tight and walked my aft bearing out. Also be very careful when separating there's not much extra wire on the stator. ( wiring that surrounds the magnets) and the nut that holds the blades on has left hand threads.

Tags
Ampair 100