Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2013, 08:46   #1

Boat: hillyard 20 ton, 40ft
Ampair 100 Windgen

Hi, has anyone got any experiance with this machine? I'm looking at a used one tomorrow, I've read the manual, but any advice as to what to look for would be gratefully recieved! Ta
Old 17-01-2013, 15:53   #2

Boat: Pearson 303
Re: Ampair 100 windgen

Here ya go! Is it the one that does all water and wind??

Wind Mode- The Aquair 100 can also be used as a wind turbine when at anchor or in harbor. Using a “rope only”, hoist-in-the-rigging system (HIR). A halyard lifts the Aquair 100 away from busy cockpit into clear air. No noise or vibration to worry about! A pole mount option is available for yachts with stern gantry or similar. A short pole is welded, clamped etc. to an existing structure. A single electrical connection then serves wind and water modes.

Water Mode- The Aquair 100 is designed for yachts cruising at 4-15 kts. The standard pitch turbine surfaces at 7kts and skips at higher speeds, so a coarse pitch turbine is used on yachts which sail at 8-12 kts. At 7kts the turbines drag is 17 lbs: it will not noticeably slow the yacht . The standard stainless steel gimbal ring mounting provides a simple and automatic alignment method and can be rigged into the push-pit or mounted in the optional frame for boats without a push-pit.

Linda - I will be buying one myself soon.. Keep us posted please. Also check out the EFOY system... its cool to..
CaptLinda6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 16:23   #3

Hi Linda! No, it's the ampair 100 (also known as the ampair pacific 100), its wind driven only. I have literatly just finished fitting it so have no idea yet how it will perform.
I have to say, how impressed I am with the build quality, and its manual - not many manufactorers claim a wind gen can cope with storms but do suggest stopping it in the event of a hurricain!
I also like its ability to be stripped down by the user, the manual has diagrams on how to do this! It is also very simple in terms of internal electrics.

My initial feeling is, although it doesn't produce the really high current of some of its competitors, the pros more than make up for any lack of performace on paper - its at sea where the real test is!
Old 18-01-2013, 08:10   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've had my AmpAir for about eleven years now. I have it simply wired to a voltage regulator and on to my house bank. It's provided moderate power during this time and without problems enduring winds over 75mph during two Cat 1 hurricanes and a few tropical storms. I wish I could say something about the details of it's performance or construction, but since I first mounted it on my mizzen over a decade ago, I've had no cause to inspect it!
Old 18-01-2013, 12:37   #5

Thanks for your reply Captforce, I've now bought & mounted it! I must say how impressed I am with the build quality, it certainly runs well! I hope mine is as trouble free as yours!
Old 19-01-2013, 10:54   #6
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I wish I could say something about the details of it's performance or construction, but since I first mounted it on my mizzen over a decade ago, I've had no cause to inspect it!
I think a decade of service says lots!

I also think that many of the makers over-rate the performance of their product.
So one that is built for reliability and serviceability is a boon.

Mub
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 14:24   #7

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I've had an Ampair 100 on my boat for 10 years while cruising full time. It is a well built product but is not worth the extra windage/space for the minimal output of amps. Unless it is blowing 20k plus, you shouldn't expect more than 25-30 amp hours per day at best. When I moved my boat to Lake Michigan several years ago, I didn't reinstall the unit and probably won't when we begin our next adventure and will opt for some solar panels that should give us equivalent amp hours per day without the helicopter on the stern rail. I don't believe the money/time of installation was worth it for me. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 21:49   #8

Hi Rognvald, I think your on the right track here.. sooner or later it all comes down to COSTS PER WATT...LOL Funny thing happend, I met this guy that was off the grid and looked at what he built, WOW everything known to man. It produced AC and DC and PussC..lol He spent $390k and 15k a year for maintenance..lol BUT he's off the grid....LOL Linda
Old 21-01-2013, 10:53   #9

It looks like everything has been said; it's a good machine and works well. Not only that, but spare bearings/brushes are readily available and not very expensive. Mine is about 16 years old and keeps on turning.
mcafzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 13:28   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I had to fix some and did not like fixing them. Some were nearly new units.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:06   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

The choice is very much related to your expectations. I'm not asking more of my wind generator than, along with my solar panel, to support my LED anchor lights when I'm away from my boat. I'm not depending on my choice of wind generator to operate my refrig/freezer.
Old 21-01-2013, 14:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
The choice is very much related to your expectations. I'm not asking more of my wind generator than, along with my solar panel, to support my LED anchor lights when I'm away from my boat. I'm not depending on my choice of wind generator to operate my refrig/freezer.
Right on!! Good luck TIM and let us know how its going on it.
Linda
Old 23-01-2013, 07:16   #13

Boat: Nautor 6,5

Hi thereI installed an ampair 100 in 1994 in bonaire on my mizzen,
It is still working at is best as we speak.
Max
Moanabipbip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 11:09   #14

Boat: 30' Sundowner Tug

Bump ...be gentle, for I am new to this...

We have a 30' Sundowner Tug, but spend a lot of time on the hook. A typical trip might have us motoring for an hour or so between anchorages, then we could spend days in one location if the photographing is going really well.

We have a 4D starting battery and a 400ah house bank of wet cell batteries.

The reason for considering an Ampair 100 is that it seems bulletproof, doesn't need to be babysat, and will provide more juice than the Leading Edge Le-V50 trickle charging vertical wind turbine that is also in the running. We foresee combining it with a solar panel of at least 50w.

Would be nice to know the batteries are being maintained, and even charged up a bit while we're ashore, and would have to fire up the engine less often. Do you think this makes sense?

Off topic, but a Sterling alternator to battery charger is also being considered to shorten charging times as much as possible when the engine is running.
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 13:55   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

'just a bit of added information. I mounted my Ampair above my radar and at the front of my mizzen as shown in this photo.

I was considering one function of my wind generator would be to supplement my autopilot power that is a Nexus contol head "married" to my Benmar hydraulic pump for the steering during long passages. To my chagrin I placed the wind generator in a location of spoiled air flow when I'm at most of my best points of sailing. At 10 to 15 kt. winds at anchor it's giving me enough power for the autopilot, but even at 15 to 20 kts. it sits idle while I'm sailing well.

Tags
Ampair 100