Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2016, 10:30   #1

Anchoring in the Balearics

Hello all - currently heading toward the Balearics and reading different info regarding whether anchoring is allowed in places such as Mahon etc. Anyone there now or this summer that could offer experience? Ideas where to stop? Did you check into Spain? Thanks!
kimwindjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 10:50   #2
cruiser

Re: anchoring in the Balearics

There are five or six excellent anchorages along the north shore of Menorca which are fairly obvious on the chart. There's also an anchorage just outside the harbor entrance at Ciutadella and inside Fornells. Just inside the harbor entrance at Mahon, there's an anchorage protected on all sides just off the fort, turn right just after you enter the harbor entrance. Sometimes during high season, a harbor patrol boat will come out and tell you that you need to rent a mooring inside the harbor. The furthest marina inside the harbor on the western end, talk to the manager Rosendo, he's an honest guy who'll help you find a place or facilitate repairs. Don't have any dealings with a fellow named Serapio or his wife Liana.

We checked into Spain in Cartegena when the immigration patrol came to our boat at the marina. We did not check out going to Italy, which we were supposed to do (officially). Nothing came of not doing it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 11:44   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Check JimB Sail. I posted quite a bit of info on anchorages on the East Coast of Mallorca last month.

Mahon & Ibiza towns seem to have a reputation for ripping off the unwary. Be extremely cautious taking a mooring at either place--it will cost an arm, leg, & your first born.

Although we'd heard there were a lot more restrictions on anchoring, there are still many calas you can drop a hook. A good pilot such as Imray is invaluable.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 12:08   #4

Thank you - JimB. Just checking your web page now. So arriving from Italy will we need to seek check in at Mahon? We never really checked in or out of Italy - arrived there from Greece, where we did check in and out.
kimwindjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 13:56   #5

Once you are checked into the EU you don't need to check in & out of other EU countries. The boat may be an other issue but I don't think so. Checking in & out of the EU is the more important question, and one I'm not familiar with. Perhaps someone else can answer your question.
Old 30-07-2016, 15:48   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Once you are checked into the EU you don't need to check in & out of other EU countries. The boat may be an other issue but I don't think so. Checking in & out of the EU is the more important question, and one I'm not familiar with. Perhaps someone else can answer your question.
No, no, no, each country is different. Spain doesn't seem to care but will approach you and check at major ports like Cartegena and will possibly give you a look at Menorca. Italy requires non EU citizens to clear in and check in at every major port and you'd better have your constituto when the coast guard checks you... Or you have problems. Greece checks and they count the passport days according to some recent travelers, and the penalty is 80 euros per day over the limit. Croatia just very first and last port. Montenegro just upon entry and exit, but is non EU. Albania every port, non EU.

Believe it or not..... Zurich counted my passport days last year. The Swiss are part of Shengen but not the EU apparently.

Basically, you need to check.
Old 30-07-2016, 18:08   #7

Re: Anchoring in the Balearics

Are you talking boats or people Ken? We, the people, get stamped in on arrival to the EU & don't need to do further until we get stamped out. The boat though, I don't know about.

Or perhaps your thing with Schengen makes you a bit different?
Old 30-07-2016, 22:30   #8
cruiser

I'm talking people living on boats who travel from port to port and country to country.. The Coast Guard want to know who's moving around coming in and out.
Old 31-07-2016, 00:51   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchoring in the Balearics

The marina's now do what the customs used to..
Every marina is obliged to report boats and crew staying with them and who's on board when you check out.. anchorages that are popular and busy you may notice a Marine Police rib puttering around early morning or evenings jotting down names of boats on the hook..
Its very discreet.. but your logged on a central data base that follows your travels.. and times from one stop to another..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 03:57   #10

I think you're spot on Boatie.

We haven't seen any official ribs snooping--the Guardia conduct document checks in the anchorages--nothing discrete about that although it the past it was more likely to be the Aduanas. Certainly the marinas have lists which are reviewed by the port authority & the Guardia weekly. As you say, it's discrete, but it's definitely happening in Spain.
Old 31-07-2016, 09:29   #11

Boat: Grand Banks 50

In the south coast of Menorca there are about a dozen anchorages as well, though in smaller calas than in the north coast. The calas in the south tend to have white sand and turquoise water. Menorca is small enough that people move from one coast to the other depending on the wind direction when strong.

In the north-east, about 5 miles north of Mahon, you also have Colom which is a large, well protected anchorage which, like Fornells, also offers buoys for a small fee. You can book a buoy on-line (CBBAsea: Reserva de fondeos en las Islas Baleares) or just show up.

The anchoring policies and practices in Mahon harbour have varied a lot over the last 15 years. A couple of years ago was the most restrictive when they were enforcing a total ban, even in Cala Teulera. Coincidentally this was the same summer they finished rebuilding the pontoons along the north coast of the harbour. Anchoring in Cala Teulera appears to be currently allowed.

Berths in Mahon tend to be on the expensive side. Marina Menorca, managed by Rosendo, is located at the far inside end of the harbour but they also operate the S'Altra Banda pontoons along the north coast of the harbour as well as some detached floating pontoon inside Isla del Rey and further in. These detached pontoons are cheaper than the ones with access to land.
http://www.marinamenorca.com/uk_amarres_amarres.htm

The other large marina in Mahón harbour is Marina Mahón which is right by the town: http://www.marinamahon.es
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 14:39   #12

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Hi, I kept my boat in Mallorca for 10 years until 2010. The anchorages I know about are (all in Mallorca)....
The safest is just off the boatyard wall at Alcudiamar Marina, Port D'Alcudia, just by the hotel there.
Others are:
Behind Aucanada Island, off port D'Alcudia; various places in Pollensa Bay; inside Port de Soller bay; & just outside the harbour at Cala Ratjada.

Hope that helps.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 14:45   #13

I also liked visiting the Marina at Colonia de St Pete, also known as San Pedro, on the east side of Alcudia bay.
Ciutadella on Menorca is also well worth a visit, but don't know about anchoring there, it's pretty tight inside so best to use a visitors berth, maybe.
Old 31-07-2016, 14:47   #14

That should be Colonia de St. Pere
Old 01-08-2016, 01:03   #15

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

North West Ibiza- my favorit is Cala Beniras and Puerto (cala indeed) de San Miguel. At the capital Cala Talamanca is not bad (just aside of Marina Botafoch).There are some area nestled by Poseidonia bouyas - you can book a bouy online ahead. Port San Antony de Portmany provide bouys as well, with a servicio de bouyas-tender taxi(cost 50 euros for my 46 cat/mooring cost 200 in June!). On the way to mainland, you may stop for a night at Islas Columbretes. Columbrete Grande provide bouyas free of charge. It's a natural reserve,most interesting for divers. Nice light on the rock.
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring