Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2010, 16:28   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i have shower onboard--in fact i have 2-- dont have to sink to only sink baths-- never heard of solar showers/sunshower?? they work great.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 16:30   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
You know, it didn't occur to me to collect rain water but looking outside at the moment it makes a lot of sense. How much chlorine do you use? Do you put it in the tank or treat the water first?
Depends on tank size I guess.... I usually stick a 1/6th of a gill of neat bleach in a 40gallon tank...
No stomach ulcers/problems yet.....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 16:46   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have shower onboard--in fact i have 2-- dont have to sink to only sink baths-- never heard of solar showers/sunshower?? they work great.

Sunshowers??? He's in British Columbia!!!! Ask him when was the time he last saw the sun.
Old 22-11-2010, 16:53   #19

chlorine ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I put chlorine in water tank and the amt. depends on sorce of water and size of tank-if you use a seagull filter for drinking and potable water it takes chlorine and almost everything else out. I would think your head situation will be more of an issue than water.
hi,
i just read this thread re chlorine being added to water tanks.does anyone know what ratio (mL chlorine/100L water) is good enough to kill bacteria but not so strong you can smell it.this water will only be used for showering and cleaning dishes, not for drinking or cooking. also what brand of chlorine is best.

thks
doocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 17:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by doocruiser View Post
hi,
i just read this thread re chlorine being added to water tanks.does anyone know what ratio (mL chlorine/100L water) is good enough to kill bacteria but not so strong you can smell it.this water will only be used for showering and cleaning dishes, not for drinking or cooking. also what brand of chlorine is best.

thks
There's no "right" answer to your question. The amount of chlorine required to kill bacteria depends on a whole bunch of factors including:

- how much organic material is in the water and tank
- temperature of the water
- pH of the water
- any slime in the water tanks / hoses
- etc.

I'd start at 10 ml of 5% bleach per 100L of water. If you *really* want to do it "right", you'd need a test kit, and circulate the water in the tanks and monitor the chlorine level for a few hours after adding the bleach. You need to hold the level of chlorine for *hours* to get a good kill. Generally speaking, tap water typically contains 0.5 to 1.0 ppm free chlorine and this level (for 4 hours, let's say) generally does a good job killing the nasties. Notice how many times I used the word "generally".

Generally speaking (there's that word again), if you can smell it, you have achieved some level of "free" chlorine, which is good. It'll go away after a few hours.

Any brand will do, but do NOT use the kinds that have fragrance added or the "no drip" thick stuff.
Sansaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 17:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansaboat View Post
Generally speaking (there's that word again), if you can smell it, you have achieved some level of "free" chlorine, which is good.
Since the water is just for showering and dishes etc, i'd suggest buying a pack of pool tester strips. Costs few dollars only. They show with colour when you have achieved the right level of free chlorine and will assist in the easy maintenance of that level.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 17:50   #22

Boat: No boat, looking again.
My boat, not that I have had it long, is on a buoy in a creek and when I needed water I (1) usually rowed with my buckets to the public wharf with tap water on for free or (2) occasionally motored into the marina, paid $10 for 4 hrs and used their water and electricity to top up tanks and batteries and to lift on some heavy stuff I didn't want to cart by dinghy and walked to the bin with rubbish which was easier than doing the trip by dinghy. Oh, I also dumped my porta potti in the marina's toilet which is not accessible to the general public.

So, in your area, you may be able to find public taps with easy access or a nearby marina which you could occasionally use for a multitude of purposes.

I am thinking of moving my boat closer (it is 500 miles away) and anchoring it. Consequently, I have invested in a super holding anchor for added insurance when I am not with the boat.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 18:15   #23

Sink a helix mooring . It's fast and easy . Thx cv
cvondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 18:19   #24

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Brent Swain-
I keep seeing your name pop up and you usually offer that "you've been doing it for thirty years."
I haven't seen any other hints or tips from you and would like to.
Do you have a web sight of your own where you share specific ideas?
Thanks-
Kenny
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 18:23   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Brent Swain-
I keep seeing your name pop up and you usually offer that "you've been doing it for thirty years."
I haven't seen any other hints or tips from you and would like to.
Do you have a web sight of your own where you share specific ideas?
Thanks-
Kenny
if you google on "Brent Swain" you'll get more hits than a blonde in a bar.
Old 22-11-2010, 18:26   #26
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
if you google on "Brent Swain" you'll get more hits than a blonde in a bar.
I'm cracking myself up tonight. I just googled Brent Swain, and got 293,000 hits.

Really.
Old 22-11-2010, 18:37   #27

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I'm cracking myself up tonight. I just googled Brent Swain, and got 293,000 hits.

Really.
And here is is all set on privacy/seclusion!
Old 22-11-2010, 18:48   #28

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
I wasn't sure about the fuel docks. I haven't done it yet but I could probably get the answer with a phone call.

I've got lots of chain and I think I know how to use it ... I've only anchored through one storm so far the rest have come when I've been tied up. It's been a stormy winter and spring.
FYI- Here in the PNW a lot of the fuel docks are closed up during the winter. No business and the water pipes freeze. The only ones out there are the commercial boats (tugs & barges) which carry enough fuel to get them to their destinations, which have their own supplies.
Downtown Seattle, Victoria & Vancouver would likely be open.
Old 22-11-2010, 18:53   #29
CF Adviser

Quote:
I'm moving my studio
Excuse the hyjack, but I couldn't help notice that you have a studio. Hello? Writer? Painter? Musician? ................... Ah, I just jumped over to your user profile and see you sitting there with a guitar.

One of my biggest concerns when I finally leave the university and head this boat south is working on the boat without a studio.

We're on the boat this week, and Wonderblond just said she'd like to work here on Wednesday rather than heading to her office. Arrgh! How is a writer supposed to get anything done on a boat when his wife is sitting across from him in the saloon pounding away on that noisy damned keyboard of hers?

(I know.
Noise canceling headphones.
Don't even say it.)
Old 22-11-2010, 21:47   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Musician. I considered putting the studio on the boat but it's a big pile of expensive electronics and power consumption (studio, not the boat). Running the gen and recording music seemed unlikely to work! I did consider an 80 foot trawler with a hugh fish hold as a possible studio at one point but wanted to sail.

As it happens I wound up living in a house again, on Gabriola. The boat is on a mooring ring and I haul water and deisel (and everything else) to her by dinghy. Here on Gabriola water is precious. Even at the house I'm drinking from a tank! The tank is 18000 gallons so looks to be sufficient.

I've found the boat to be a great place to write songs. It doesn't get much better then sailing to a gig either. I'm playing in Victoria this week but it looks like I'm driving.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, liveaboard, water