Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 17:04   #46

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Any Women Living Aboard ?

As single women, what is it that motivates you to live a somewhat solitary life aboard your boat? This inquiring mind wants to know.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 17:15   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the boat. the lifestyle, and of course, the SEA about which our lifestyle is totally! that is what keeps me here...
my first boat was 1990, even tho i learned to sail from age 7 with my great uncle as a teacher--all of us kids went sailing with uncle phil whenever we could. his boat was a gaff rigged sloop---on hudson river--we did a lot of sailing in her.
always loved the sea.
lived aboard from 1990 on many different boats until i found this one.... and my ericson which will haunt me forever.... cruising my brick of a formosa and loving it.
yeah, there are occasional concerns, but stuff happens and things get fixed easily enough. and then i sail.
fix, then sail, then fix , then sail... cruising.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 17:18   #48

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
We are in the west river, south of Annapolis, we have 3 boats crewed by women that are liveaboards.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 18:13   #49

I've recently noticed an older woman who appeared in the harbor and appears to be a live aboard. Though I've not met her personally
Old 15-09-2011, 19:01   #50
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
As single women, what is it that motivates you to live a somewhat solitary life aboard your boat? This inquiring mind wants to know.
I'm in a marina, so it isn't solitary at all. I was spending so much time on my boat I felt guilty about leaving the cats alone. Then one day it dawned on me ...

And, amazingly, the cats fought TERRIBLY in the condo. I thought I was going to have to give one of them away. On the boat they get along great! One of them was obviously abused, and I think there's nothing in the lines and general sense of a sailboat that reminds him, brings up those old anxieties.

It has two social drawbacks. First, it's hard to have more than one or two people over at a time. There are just space limitations. Second, I have nothing resembling a spare bedroom or even a living room couch most people could use. While I have settees, of course, people who aren't used to being on boats are most likely to get seasick in the cabin.

But it's not solitary at all. I sing in a chorus, am active in my sailing club, am president of one group I belong to and am about to start volunteering at the local elementary school. AND I can go sailing any time I want.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 19:06   #51
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the boat. the lifestyle, and of course, the SEA about which our lifestyle is totally! that is what keeps me here...
my first boat was 1990, even tho i learned to sail from age 7 with my great uncle as a teacher--all of us kids went sailing with uncle phil whenever we could. his boat was a gaff rigged sloop---on hudson river--we did a lot of sailing in her.
always loved the sea.
lived aboard from 1990 on many different boats until i found this one.... and my ericson which will haunt me forever.... cruising my brick of a formosa and loving it.
yeah, there are occasional concerns, but stuff happens and things get fixed easily enough. and then i sail.
fix, then sail, then fix , then sail... cruising.....
To add to this, two wonderful experiences I have had this summer (I just moved on last November).

First, the bioluminescence here has been SPECTACULAR -- splash the water and get great showers of electric aqua sparks, rippling through the water. For some reason it's especially strong in my marina. It was so strong you could see it during the DAY -- no kidding -- as an extra-bright sparkle on breaking water. Astounding! One night I got in my dinghy and just rowed around the marina, playing in the water with my oars. It was breathtaking and moving and the show was on every night. In fact, it's still slightly there.

Second, the wolf-dolphins. They come into the marina in the middle of the night, either herding fish up against the seawall or going after the big sheepsheads that eat the barnacles. Either way, if a boat is in their way, WHAP!!! -- they just whack the boat with their tail and push it out of the way. THAT will wake you up in the middle of the night!

And I haven't been living aboard even a year yet. What other wonders wait for me if I'm here to experience it?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 22:33   #52

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
And I haven't been living aboard even a year yet. What other wonders wait for me if I'm here to experience it?
And flushing the cammode at night w/bioluminescence is entertaining as well.

Do you get that crackling noise under the hull, at night? As I lived aboard in Mission Bay, Ca (years ago) it was a very soothing sound to sleep to.

The main downfall my ex complained about was not enough space for clothes.

Tags
living aboard