Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 10:56   #76

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Anyone live aboard a sailboat and motor everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
Out of curiosity, if you are going to motor everywhere, why not just get a trawler? You'll have more living space, and less (rigging, sails) stuff you don't use to take care of.
We did. Turns out everything's a compromise. Who knew?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 16:51   #77

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
We did. Turns out everything's a compromise. Who knew?
Ah now we are getting somewhere. So what did you find were the compromises when deciding to go with a trawler? What would the upsides and downsides of a trawler be for someone who is thinking of buying a sailboat that they won't sail?

Honest questions out of my own curiosity (pretty sure the OP is long gone anyway). I'm only picking on you because as far as I can tell you are the first person on a motor vessel that has chimed in here, though I could be wrong about that.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 17:00   #78

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
There's no difference in boreful between sailing and motoring when out in the open doing a long leg where the course doesn't change for 12+ hours. The only difference is the noise level.
Maybe for a cruiser that doesn't care about being an efficient sailor.

But for ex-racers or those that pay attention while sailing, there's actually lots of difference between motoring long distance and sailing long distance.

When sailing you have to plan ahead. You have to adjust to every change in the wind. You have to anticipate what the wind will be like miles ahead.

If you ever decide to sail your boat 100-200 miles on open water without motoring, you will see the difference

Cruising the ICW is nothing like sailing open water.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 17:51   #79

Boat: nauticat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I have a motor sailor and that's what I primarily doAttachment 169396

It has a big six cylinder Perkins in a nice soundproofed engine room, connected to a well protected propeller, driving a full keel with a comfortable foot in the water, when you encounter a seaway Attachment 169397.
Attachment 169398
It sails efficiently at winds above 15 knots, less than that it quietly Motor sails at hull speed with the Perkins at around 1000 RPM

Able to cross any ocean with an easy dry motion that is far superior to a trawler, she can be sailed by one due to her all furl schooner sail plan.

Accommodations and ergonomics are good enough for us and the redundancy of both sail and power makes any tradeoff in upper decks worth while.

.Attachment 169399Attachment 169400Attachment 169401Attachment 169402Attachment 169403
After reading this entire thread, I agree with the comments of Pelagic the most.Of course, we own a 44' Nauticat that is schooner rigged. His thoughts seem to make the most sense to me. Sail or motorsail depending on the wind speed and direction.Having owned a 53' Hatteras, I can attest to the huge fuel costs, etc. I truly believe a good motorsailor is just fine.In fact, I think that all sailboats are motorsailors to some extent. All the trawers we looked at were way too expensive.With 2 forms of power, what not to like? It is not a sin for God's sake to turn on an engine.And it's okay just to feel and hear the wind alone too.Whatever floats your boat.A good trawler costs a fortune.Hope these comments do not start WW 3.Michael
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:19   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
Ah now we are getting somewhere. So what did you find were the compromises when deciding to go with a trawler? What would the upsides and downsides of a trawler be for someone who is thinking of buying a sailboat that they won't sail?

Honest questions out of my own curiosity (pretty sure the OP is long gone anyway). I'm only picking on you because as far as I can tell you are the first person on a motor vessel that has chimed in here, though I could be wrong about that.
The compromise is not being able to sail. Being a life long sailor that's a lot to give up but ultimately I just love boats & being on the water. I'd really love a motorsailer but to be able to get in & out from our house without watching the tides we really need a boat with a draft that's less than 3'.
Old 09-05-2018, 19:34   #81

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

To each their own...

It's your boat, your time, your comfort, your life; do whatever you want. Motor if you want to motor, sail if you want to sail, motor sail if you want to motor sail. If people don't like it, oh well.

We use our motor as little as possible(The motor is from 1984 but only has 840hrs). But if I feel like firing it up, I fire it up and don't think twice about it. The other day I was making 8 knots with the sails up; I fired up the ol' VolvoPenta pushed her to about half throttle and I was making 12 knots and it was a whole lot of fun. Pointless? Yes, but who cares.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:39   #82

I'm definitely here just watching from the sidelines as it's been pretty informative.

Also interested in the sailboat vs trawler debate when motoring most/all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post

windycityxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 15:21   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycityxx View Post
I'm definitely here just watching from the sidelines as it's been pretty informative.

Also interested in the sailboat vs trawler debate when motoring most/all of the time.
The nice thing about sail is when you have those opportunities, even if rare, for a wonderful sail, it makes it worth it. Nothing like crashing along at 8 knots beam wind. Additionally not much mention of the great motorsailing and the backup to be being dead in the water with engine issues. A motorsailing boat points up into the wind very well and is stable without much rolling and rocking often.
However, the nice thing about a trawler is the open, light living space.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 15:54   #84

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
However, the nice thing about a trawler is the open, light living space.
Yep

I do miss the sail but I enjoy the space,load carrying ability, shade, king size bed, big refrigeration and electricity to run it more.

Pick the right boat and cruise like typical coastal liveaboard cruisers do (travel 60 miles on nice days and anchor for a week or two, move again on next nice day) and the fuel bill is negligible compared to comfort gained.

We looked at several motorsailers over the years and none offered the space and comfort we enjoy now and they all cost quite a bit (lot) more to purchase
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 18:04   #85

Trawler plus side: The pilot house is awesome, protection from the elements really spoils you & being able to walk around in the cockpit is great. Another plus is how easy it is to go below. Our companionway has a door & then it's 3 steps down to the cabin. No ladder!

Trawler negatives: The rolling & the engine noise. Most of the time I can stop the rolling by altering course slightly but that's not always possible. I'm doing a refit right now & insulating the hell out of our engine compartment so that should help with the noise. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-05-2018, 21:38   #86

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofiaB View Post
Great thread. I sail with motor sailors and purists which group I find myself...

Love to sail with no agenda. Love to hear about how others “sail”. To each their own. But, it’s nice to have options.

I also like this thread a lot. Speaking to your love of sailing with no agenda:

In our aimless daysailing adventures, we have started going after mylar balloons. It sets a challenging destination, gives some MOB practice, and is environmentally reasonable, especially for kids. You can see the glinting from far away and it seems like there is an endless supply on Lake Michigan. It has been a good skill builder and a fun game.

I prefer to go under sail alone but I have learned to enjoy motorsailing, especially on a timetable. On my last trip I was able to maintain hull speed while motorsailing at 1/2 throttle. As said above, it’s nice to have options.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:35   #87

Here's some of my favorites:

Old 11-05-2018, 06:57   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Anyone live aboard a sailboat and motor everywhere?

I’ve been watching trawlers cause if I can talk her out of a house, then that is where we will be when we get too old for the sailboat.
It’s more than just sailing, they are easier to get on and off of, no companionway to deal with, and an air conditioned pilot house etc.

However I still have this dream of the S. Pacific, and your not getting there with a trawler.
However I have begun to wonder if buying a sailboat already there may not have been the smarter move.

Maybe I’ll get Boatie to help if he’s not too old when the time comes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:14   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’ve been watching trawlers cause if I can talk her out of a house, then that is where we will be when we get too old for the sailboat.
It’s more than just sailing, they are easier to get on and off of, no companionway to deal with, and an air conditioned pilot house etc.

However I still have this dream of the S. Pacific, and your not getting there with a trawler.
However I have begun to wonder if buying a sailboat already there may not have been the smarter move.

Maybe I’ll get Boatie to help if he’s not too old when the time comes.
How about the Island Packet SP?

2010 Island Packet SP Cruiser Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com listing#.WvWy1eTrvAM

https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailbo...ke-motorsailer
Old 11-05-2018, 12:27   #90

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Plenty of trawlers travel the globe so clearly you can.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, motor, sail, sailboat