Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 15:16   #16

Boat: Roberts and Caine Leopard 40
Re: Bay Area Liveaboard Tale Continued...

Santa Cruz has a lot of "sneak-a-boards", folks who break the three night a week rule.
AquaLeopard40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 15:39   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Many people make the same mistake you did... They get the idea of living aboard and don't understand that California State Law only allows 10% of a marina's berths to be live aboards. ....................
I can only assume that this law is for the purpose of environmental concerns, and yet it's highly restrictive of personal freedoms. I would think that a more enlightened approach would be to inforce the direct environmental issues as done in Fort Lauderdale where liveaboards are required to keep pump out hoses attached while at the dock. There are marinas in the southeast US with only 50% slip occupancy and in competition for the liveaboard dollars. It's disappointing to hear of this loss of opportunity in California. I'm glad to be able to freely live aboard in all the areas of the East US where I am cruising. I hope that opportunities to live aboard are improved in the West.
Old 06-11-2013, 20:57   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I can only assume that this law is for the purpose of environmental concerns, and yet it's highly restrictive of personal freedoms. I would think that a more enlightened approach would be to inforce the direct environmental issues as done in Fort Lauderdale where liveaboards are required to keep pump out hoses attached while at the dock. There are marinas in the southeast US with only 50% slip occupancy and in competition for the liveaboard dollars. It's disappointing to hear of this loss of opportunity in California. I'm glad to be able to freely live aboard in all the areas of the East US where I am cruising. I hope that opportunities to live aboard are improved in the West.
Part of the problem with SF liveaboards is that many direct discharge their holding tanks into the marina. Saw this at many marina's. Oh some will walk to the restrooms at all hours. But I think over 50 percent just dump into the bay at night. BTW, I always move the boat to the pump out every week or so when I stay in marinas. I've yet to find a marina with pump out hoses at the slip.

Big thing is that the harbor masters here, really want the live aboard boats to look like any other boat, without stuff stored on deck or on the dock.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 21:05   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I've yet to find a marina with pump out hoses at the slip.
We've lived in two Bay Area marinas with this amenity: Westpoint in Redwood City and Clipper in Sausalito.
Old 06-11-2013, 21:09   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
. Big thing is that the harbor masters here, really want the live aboard boats to look like any other boat, without stuff stored on deck or on the dock.
Yeah. No flower boxes on the finger piers, no tomato plants in the cockpit, and no satellite dishes on the pilings.
Old 06-11-2013, 21:11   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
We've lived in two Bay Area marinas with this amenity: Westpoint in Redwood City and Clipper in Sausalito.
Ah, I tend to avoid the high end marina's. Not really in my budget. But good to know...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 14:53   #22

Boat: Soverel 30

How about a bamboo bowsprit?
soverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 19:00   #23

Sorry to hear about your dilemma

I think your idea of finding a commuting room for the week until a live-aboard spot opens up is your best bet. Good luck!
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:32   #24

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Good decision to finish the lease. Money diverted from lease will make a happy boat and with the help of all these brilliant suggestions you will have fun.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 16:55   #25

Nice story..i can relate sorta...Ive been looking for a legit live abaord for a lil while now. I ALMOST did what you are doing. Buy a boat then worry about the live slip later. I didnt though. I wanted a stable situation. I may consider the idea you have with the commuter room. It would take alot of preperation and scrambling to find the right locations for the commute but its doable. My problem is though i have a cat. That adds a whole different set of obstacles. Im still determined to keep looking though.
FlightofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 17:51   #26

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

This, "Protect the public from themselves." stuff seems to be centered on the haves preventing the pleasure of the have nots. Add the current state of the economy and the desire to get vessels having a higher tax burden to support and you get the, "We are trying to protect you and the environment," speach. Then comes the fact that the vessel is the only security the marina has for slip fees. A boat that you can't sell is one they can't either. A mega boat at a steal of a price will move, sell.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 19:51   #27

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I would not recommend moving your boat all the time. That is expensive and a hassle the weather will always be bad and the date keeping another hassle. Find a sleeping room somewhere near your work and ride a bicycle to and from the work place. Also if your 27' becomes a problem rent a larger slip. Most of the time the marina will charge your rent on the length of the slip. So if they say you need a 30' boat just rent a 30' slip. I don't think they will measure your boat if you don't exceed the length. I would not bring the length to their attention. It is the longer ones that stick out of the slip is what they worry about. That has been my experience. I don't think they would mind if you are shorter than the slip. For my 32' I usually rent a 36' slip and no one questions it. plus the extra length is nice for your dingy etc. I miss the Balena Bay Marina where I used to live.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 14:43   #28

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I have known several people on boats that have cats. Cats seem to do better on boats than dogs. You could always set up the boat with feed, water etc. and leave the cat for a few days. After the cat realizes that the boat is home I would bet you could leave the bottom hatch board out and the cat could come and go. He/She/It should stick around it's home base. And your neighbors will watch out for it too.

I miss California but like the Northwest better. Maybe you should just move up here!
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 22:52   #29

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We live in Berkeley and although we went threw all the hoops and ladders to get a proper live a board slip I know many fellow liveaboards who haven't. From what I have been told is that Berkeley marina is considered low income housing by the city and the harbor master can't kick you out if you pay your bill. Most people on the dock sneakaboard for as long as they can, when they get caught and as long as you are kind and not a slob your name magicly goes to the top of the live a board permit list. You get your inspection, make sure you have a fully functional head with holding tank because they use dye tablets. Then once your in your in for your normal slip fee plus $150. Again they will ask you if you plan to liveaboard when you initially get a slip, its on you and your morals on how you answer that question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-05-2014, 18:52   #30

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
we've been living on our boat for ofer 10 years now in the bay and delta and NEVER faced the liveaboard issue.. How? because were cruisers and I state that whenever we go into a marina..
Its a little known fact that all marinas will allow cruisers to enter for a period not to exceed 90 days.. some will strech it to 120 days.. But when you go in, you state you will be passing through, agree on the terms and pay in advance for your stay.
and much of the time its far less that normal rent of a slip.. no electric charges apply and they know when you are leaving.. The liveaboard rules do not apply to you..
I worked in SF for 10 years as a building inspector, moved the boat every three months between Berkley, Loch Lomand, South Beach and Marina Bay.. and Odd thing, they would always thank me for the visit when I turned in my Key and invited me back the next time through.. and I'd often reply, see ya next year..
It worked very well for us as we also liked moving to new areas..
It also helped that we belonged to a couple yacht clubs so we'd stop in for a visit now and then to other clubs..
At the present, we're up in stockton at the Stockton Sailing Club doing a Re-fit on the boat, living on it full time, and the Yacht Club does NOT allow Liveaboards except a that they allow you to live on your boat as a cruiser up to two years getting it ready to go cruising.. We'll be leaving here in a couple months..
change the way you project yourself, not as a liveaboard, with potted plants on the dock and pink flamingos on your lifelines to a cruiser.. keep that image and you'll never have a problem anywhere.....
This is great news! I bought my boat in the bay, but currently live in Colorado. I had no plan to rent a room at all! Napa for a haul and bottom paint. Then I need to outfit and maybe re-rig? Not sure, I may rig it myself too.

The point is, I have no intention of living in the bay. I plan to cruise her.

I wouldn't mind moving around the bay a few times as I do it either.
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard