Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 08:18   #16

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler
Re: Best affordable east coast DIY marina for refit...

Sadler Point Marina, on the Ortega River, which is off the St Johns River, just south of Downtown Jacksonville, Fl. 904.384.1383 Nice people, great neighborhood, all Marine services located nearby. 5 minute walk to West Marine & Publix Supermarket. 3 miles from huge hospital, St Vincents Medical Center
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:04   #17

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

The southern part of the Chessie is definitely something to consider. Wormley Creek, just a bit above Hampton, and off the York River and therefore very protected, is a great DIY yard. Not much for liveaboards, except showers/bathrooms, but a very friendly spot.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:13   #18

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Seem to me that you have put so many stipulations on your requirements that you have boxed yourself out of much possibility. For instance, Green Cove probably has some very reasonable housing available in the area as it is not a resort area. Just one idea. I am sure your wife could do other things than just in the health-care industry. Just my observation. Go on the web-sites of some of these do it yourself yards and you can learn a lot. Also, as previously stated, in person inquiries work so much better than a phone call. These folks do not know who they are talking to over the phone. You might be surprised at what can happen.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:20   #19

Boat: Island Pscket 31

We had good experiences with Oak Harbor Marina in Pasadena Maryland. Ken and Barb were sailors, nice well protected clean place.
Sirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:37   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Walmart moved in and the local grocery store quickly went out of business.
In Oriental, NC the Walmart just closed. Now no grocery in town.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:25   #21

Boat: Hartog 40

We are currently hauled at St Marys Boat Service at St Marys, Ga. Good for hauls because: cheap, can liveaboard, good people with diverse info that can picked out of friendly brains, the carpenter shop is open and Rocky loans many of this tools. Oh yeah, he is also dynamite welder. Downside: working yard, no dock space, no formal marine businesses (only DIY) altho you can pick brains and hire decent talent.
Lynn Odendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 18:09   #22

Thank you guys SO much for all the responses! This is a lot of really good info. I'll be checking into these places more thoroughly, but it definitely gives me a lot more direction.

I do think that a big part of my problem is that - as captlloyd mentions - we do have a lot of stipulations. The issue is that we are a family of four living aboard a 45' Jeanneau from the 80's. We are really new to boat ownership, living aboard, and all that entails despite me having worked professionally in the business for some time. We bought the boat for what we thought/were advised was a good price, spent a year replacing/repairing her major systems, and now four months into our "cruise", we've spent a considerable amount of money and realize that there's more work to do. So light on cash, we're looking for a place Emmy can work, the kids can go to school for a bit, and I can refit the boat full time.

I know it's what we're looking for is a tall order, and we may need to revise the plan, but again - we're new to this! It's been interesting...

We really appreciate the responses - thank you guys SO much.
Jebrown215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 21:06   #23

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Years ago we worked on GAIA in Wayne's place in Labelle Florida on the Okeechobee waterway. In fact we were there twice years apart. Loved it. Check it out as I am not sure it still exists. Far enough south to not be a problem weather-wise in the winter. A lovely place with 'character' (-:

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 22:02   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Check out Bock Marine in Beaufort, NC. The last time I checked it was $10 per foot per month to live aboard and work on your boat. It is reasonably close to what used to be called Craven Regional Hospital in New Bern and Carteret General Hospital in Morehead City (names might have changed.) Bock Marine has an excellent reputation in the cruising community.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 21:06   #25

Boat: Beneteau 50, year 2000

Sailcraft Services, located in Oriental, NC, is a very competitive ship yard, and you can do your own work while in the ship yard, or utilize their services. Regarding a nursing opportunity, she would have to probably drive to New Bern, NC to find a hospital., approximately 30 miles. Make sure to purchase towing insurance to navigate to the ship yard. With a southwest blow, the channel experiences significant shoaling, and US Tow boat enjoys a brisk business pulling boats out that run aground!

Good luck.
hkolanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 14:30   #26

Herrington Harbor North in deale MD. Nice place, hospitals close. No real hurricane threats, can work on and live aboard, schools close. Not sure if it meets the price restriction.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 17:00   #27

Boat: Hunter Vision 32 - S/V Nepenthe

check out Lady's Island Marina in Beaufort SC. Close to US Naval Hospital ... great liveaboard comaradarie ... workshop with loaner tools available ... school is right across the street ... Beaufort is a wonderful town
ronrelyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 17:24   #28

Boat: 48' steel cutter

My vote is Green Cove Springs on the St. Johns River near Jacksonville.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 18:12   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Odendahl View Post
We are currently hauled at St Marys Boat Service at St Marys, Ga. Good for hauls because: cheap, can liveaboard, good people with diverse info that can picked out of friendly brains, the carpenter shop is open and Rocky loans many of this tools. Oh yeah, he is also dynamite welder. Downside: working yard, no dock space, no formal marine businesses (only DIY) altho you can pick brains and hire decent talent.
also 10+ft tides and zillions of knats!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 16:33   #30

Boat: Mark Smaalder's designed 32' cold-molded cutter

I've lived aboard in Beaufort, NC while working at Carteret Hospital in Morehead City. I was docked at Discovery Diving. Not fancy at all but my boat was set-up with all I needed. Currently I'm just outside of New Bern at Duck Creek Marina while my current boat is on the hard. Again, very minimalist facility but perfect for my needs and just across the river from Carolina East Medical Center. There are also very nice facilities at Northwest Creek Marina just a few miles south on the Neuse River. Great for living aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
scottmacc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, refit