Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 16:49   #31

Re: Best affordable east coast DIY marina for refit...

Great info. I’m trying to find something further North in the New England area. Any suggestions up this way? RI or ME maybe?
Shawn0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 06:03   #32

did you price out harbortown marina? It's right near you. I don't have enough experience to cost compare, but this is where we are. There might be a limit as to your keel length. It seems shallow to me, mine draws 4.9 and I think 6 feet may be the max, could be wrong though.
nimbex1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 06:07   #33

Holmes regional and cape canaveral hospital is right there. My husband works at Holmes. What is your wifes specialty. Oh, vierra is close as well as New Smyrna. I know husband loves Holmes. Palm bay is close too. All except holmes are smaller.

The marina is both do it yourself and also has an extensive list of vendors that service it. I have no gain for suggesting Harbortown, only that our boat is there and we are happy with it.

PM me if you wish to have us forward a contact for the HOlmes hospital. Wages are different down here. I work in orlando and the top RN pay is about $37 an hour, I have 23 years exp.
nimbex1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 09:00   #34

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn0900 View Post
Great info. I’m trying to find something further North in the New England area. Any suggestions up this way? RI or ME maybe?
Looking for the same thing.

Any northern boat yards to check? Tired of working on my boat in the stifling heat and dealing with all the bugs and bees and everything that comes along with warm climates. Want to work where it's cold enough to wear a full spacesuit all the time.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 10:20   #35

Boat: Valiant 40

Annapolis.

Yes it's expensive but there are probably a half dozen hospitals within 30 minutes and I'm going to bet that the salary she will get will more than cover the difference in slip costs vs. some place like Deltaville.

Pretty much all the marinas there allow DIY work. Port Annapolis Marina has a thriving live-aboard community. And you can't beat the town's historic culture, nightlife, and the enthusiasm of the sailing community.
Old 26-10-2019, 10:36   #36

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We hauled our 48’ ketch at Cobb’s Marina in Norfolk, Virginia, as they were one of the few yards that allowed both living aboard and DIY. Their winter rates were very reasonable and the staff very helpful, pleasant and knowledgeable. Right next door to the Norfolk Naval Base, which employs hundreds of civilians.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 10:58   #37

Someone else mentioned Deltaville, Va which is very DIY friendly. However while there is no hospital in Deltaville, I know of two different hospitals both of which are within 20 miles. One is located in Gloucester, Va and the other in Kilmarnock. Check them out.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, refit