Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 20:00   #16

Re: Best California Delta Marinas

Thanks for the info CB...really helpful.

I am aware of the live aboard regs but wasn't sure if they pertained to the delta region as well. Good to know.

There are more marinas for sale than I would have thought and the ones I'm interested in, though small, would need a little work to upgrade and potentially dredge. Still, I think it might be something to consider and I've arranged with a local realtor for a viewing.

Who knows, maybe it could work.

Thanks again.

Dan
DanSFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 22:34   #17

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

At one time I had concidered the marina option of ownership but instead of offering slips at a fee, it would be a working marina for the purpose of refit, rebuild, or restore type of a boatyard with individual areas(slips) rented to people. there is a loophole in the wording.. because it would be under a boatyard name, the issues of liveaboards would not be an issue.
The idea would be to create a place where working on your boat was the norm, and not the exception..
Many marinas dont allow work to be done on your boat on the outside..

Also worked out ways to promote and manage the property within the people using the marina or should I say work yard..
If you were from the NorthWest or anywhere for that matter, and a cruiser passing through, you could use the yard for a maximum of two years,
This way you would eliminate the lowlife who only wants to squat and park his pink flamingos on the dock..
Allow a discount to those wanting to in excange for work performed in the marina as grounds keepers.. say a 200 permonth discount in excange for 20 hours of work a month or apx. 5 hours a week mowing lawns or painting curbs.

And it can be done as there is already a work dock in exestance in Richmond back up in the channel across from the old KKMI yard..

By using it as a "work dock" , the liveaboard issues dont even come up..

and by the way, the marina on the delta loop up for sale is "Spindrift" and its NOT a sailboat marina and ALL but a few slips ARE COVERED.

we are now at "BRUNOS" Island but the name has been changed and is now Brannans "Island Time" marina.. its under new management and the entire outlook of the place has changed.. still at a very reasonable rate and a gated area.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:07   #18

Hi Randy,

I know the one you're looking at and its one of 3 I'm viewing tomorrow. The fact that it isn't suitable won't prevent me from at least looking at it and asking questions. Who knows...?

Your thoughts on a boatyard arrangement really resonated with me as I was trying to think about how to work within the current regs. But I'd probably manage the biz by myself for a few years until I could be assured that everything was smooth and could turn a small profit.

Like I had said earlier, I'm just investigating the possibilities.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-08-2014, 16:21   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSFB View Post
Hi Randy,

I know the one you're looking at and its one of 3 I'm viewing tomorrow. The fact that it isn't suitable won't prevent me from at least looking at it and asking questions. Who knows...?

Your thoughts on a boatyard arrangement really resonated with me as I was trying to think about how to work within the current regs. But I'd probably manage the biz by myself for a few years until I could be assured that everything was smooth and could turn a small profit.

Like I had said earlier, I'm just investigating the possibilities.

Thanks for the input.
Dan
the marina where I am now went into bankrupsy and is now bank owned.. its an Island with slips and docks around it.. sence the bank has taken over, much has been done to inprove the place..
Old 11-08-2014, 16:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Dan
the marina where I am now went into bankrupsy and is now bank owned.. its an Island with slips and docks around it.. sence the bank has taken over, much has been done to inprove the place..
Randy,

Interestingly enough, finding a marina that has been foreclosed on is not that hard to do; 2 of 3 I'm viewing have been foreclosed. And I understand that at one point one of those was turning a profit but the owners just gave up on it.

Do you mind telling me what your marina you're at?
Old 11-08-2014, 17:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSFB View Post
Randy,

Interestingly enough, finding a marina that has been foreclosed on is not that hard to do; 2 of 3 I'm viewing have been foreclosed. And I understand that at one point one of those was turning a profit but the owners just gave up on it.

Do you mind telling me what your marina you're at?
sure Dan.

Origionally it was Brunos Island, at 1200 Brannon Island Road in Isleton california.. but they did change the name to Brannons "Island Time" marina..
Durring all the fall out of the Marina, they had a large number of low-lifes squatting in the area.. people in slips that had never signed a lease, and some people holding there rent and saying they didnt know who to pay.. The bank took it over a year or so ago and started dumping funds into the island so its starting to recover..
I was here about 10 years ago befor the down fall and this place was a resort, families camping in the center of the island, two different Yacht clubs on the island and hard to get a slip after the first of april.. It was a place where sailboaters from the bay area would come to get out of the summer cold in SF..
A quarter mile down the slough is the San Joaquin river where it widens out.. and a great sailing venue in the delta..
Across the slough from the Island sets Owl Harbor, a place that was a drug harbor a few years ago but has now regained its value under new ownership and is packed with sailboats.. Owl harbor hosts the delta do da each year..
Spoke to the manager of the island a week or so ago and he said the bridge to the island will be replaced this winter.. shame as I was kinda partial to the old bridge..
If comming over, I've got the first slip off the bridge on the left..
Old 12-08-2014, 07:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
sure Dan.

Across the slough from the Island sets Owl Harbor, a place that was a drug harbor a few years ago but has now regained its value under new ownership and is packed with sailboats.. Owl harbor hosts the delta do da each year..
Spoke to the manager of the island a week or so ago and he said the bridge to the island will be replaced this winter.. shame as I was kinda partial to the old bridge..
If comming over, I've got the first slip off the bridge on the left..
Hi Randy,

I was talking to a sailor in Alameda yesterday and he was telling me that the Delta does draw in the "tweaker" crowd. I'd assume that this is at least partially true since the area is so vast.
If I have time I might just take you up on your offer. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Dan
Old 19-04-2016, 21:30   #23

Boat: Floating Home pending

Are floating homes allow on the delta, and do they have a permanent location that they can be docked. Wanting to sell my strawbale home and purchase a floating home. Retired and tire of yard work.
Old 23-04-2016, 11:46   #24

I just discovered this thread and this is what I'm looking for.
A liveaboard marina in the sf bay delta, and a work dock
allowing liveaboard would be great.
Besides, the work dock in Richmond, any other work dock in
the north sfbay or delta ?
And is there a specific thread about the sfbay delta ?
wavestimulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 22:08   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
Are floating homes allow on the delta, and do they have a permanent location that they can be docked. Wanting to sell my strawbale home and purchase a floating home. Retired and tire of yard work.
I am not aware of all floating homes in the delta. There are some in the central bay, but no new ones are allowed there. Even house boats are generally frowned on. Though there are marina's in the delta that allow them.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 11:58   #26

Boat: CL52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavestimulus View Post
I just discovered this thread and this is what I'm looking for.
A liveaboard marina in the sf bay delta, and a work dock
allowing liveaboard would be great.
Besides, the work dock in Richmond, any other work dock in
the north sfbay or delta ?
And is there a specific thread about the sfbay delta ?
Most marinas in the delta allow houseboats. Floating homes are different though. They are a little tougher to place. Part of the issue is how to register them.I just saw one towed out of a marina and it promptly tipped over and sank. Also it is worth noting that while it is not as hard to find a live aboard slip in a delta marina as it is in the bay area, it is still a tough screening process at the better marinas.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, delta, marinas