Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2018, 16:33   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: BEST marina in the Med?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
I respect you and your doings very much, but again YOU DONīT have the answers for them... they need a solid LEGAL advice... I think there is more possible then some think, BUT FIND LEGAL ADVICE....
you are quite correct,that they should seek local legal advice,and also use the services of a customs agent once they officially enter the eu where they plan to spend time.

i was only sharing my own experince as a returning uk/eu non res to cyprus with a uk registered unpaid vat boat.

each eu country seems to have it's own interpretation of the laws!

there are a few other options that they should look at, as well as the temp import,as they are also eu nationals,this might change substantialy in 2019 once we exit our eu membership
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 22:43   #47

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
there is definitley a boat yard at st carles
Dave,

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 22:48   #48

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
I'd for sure like to hear about Gibralter. We are considering it, but so far the Marina responses havn't been brilliant, and they can't confirm a spot.

Regards

Mark.
Instead of Gib proper, try the Spanish marina. It's relatively inexpensive.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 13:54   #49

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Thank you guys,

all noted and I will seek professional advice as you suggest. It's quite a mess the UK has got itself into and god only knows where I'll stand when all is said and done but I suspect it won't be good.
Old 30-11-2018, 17:11   #50

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m

Sorry, but the marina, Marina di Ragusa, is a very very short walk to town. The walk is less than 15 minutes. In the marina it self are two bars and three restaurants including a pizza place within a two minute walk. I know, I have been there for 8 years now.
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:14   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
I know it's a huge question but I've got some big decisions to make and I could do with all the help we can get.

We are headed for the Mediterranean and want to find the perfect marina or marinas to spend the winter at.. Actually, we like to explore so I think we will not stay in 1 place the whole winter. We have spent the last 10 months living on anchor in Europe and the Caribbean but due to a major lifestyle change... we have a baby on the way... we'd both like to live marina life at least until we figure out how our new addition and all the stuff that she comes with fits in the dinghy.

We are on a 45' cat so the high end marinas are out of our budget (even in winter). I have been quoted 2400euro per month in Ibiza town which just isn't affordable to us.

So I'm looking for affordable, friendly, good community, walking distance to town (nice bakery, coffee shop etc), safe, clean, not too far from a major airport and offers good shelter from any nasty weather. Plus no nasty weather please.

I'm open to any and all suggestions and then I'll get researching.

Thanks in advance,

Dave and Hayley

ps. so far on our travels we have paid for a mooring ball in Porto Cervo, Sardinia @ 150/night (we stayed 1 night) and more recently 250/night @ Alantis Marina, Nassau (we stayed 1 night). Both these were incredible but 1 night is all we can afford in those places and we need somewhere to live for 6 months.
Hello Dave & Hayley,

We landed on this page because we're asking ourselves the same question We're in the process of buying a L39 and are looking for places to winterize the cat. Seems like northern Africa has reasonable rates; did you ever consider this option?
Kite_jeidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:55   #52

No to Africa for us because of insurance costs. We have moored in Marina di Ragusa, Sicily, for 9 years for all the reasons listed above in the previous post. MdR is one of only a few marinas in the Med with an active winter live aboard community. It is centrally located for cruising the Med and returning for the winter. Finalmente is a 46 foot cat and for the winter 2020/2021 the cost is 2,800 euros for October 1 to April 30 and 15 free days on either end if needed, plus 18 euros per month for water and power. For hauling out and painting your bottom it is among the least expensive yards in the Med, but you cannot paint yourself. MdR is safe, clean, great food, bars, cafes, people, shopping, and finding marine supplies. It is close to a local airport, Comiso, and an international airport, Catania. For these reasons we have stayed so long. Hopes this helps.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:05   #53

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Best Marinas we've used over winter. (or visited frankly)

Limasol, Cyprus (2 yrs ago). Awesome marina to hang out at, clean, great staff, insane internet (Fibre to the boat), decent price. Lots of shops and restaurants close.

Porto Montenegro, Montenegro. (where we are right now), Also great marina, restaurants, town close, supermarkets easy taxi away (they wait).
Also SuperYacht marina, but price is ok. There are cheaper marinas in the bay, but I think this is the nicest to overwinter.

We've also overwintered at Certosa, Venice. That was very cold ! and the services on the Island shutdown over winter. and its a 20min walk to the ferry dock from the main wharves.
St Marks only 15min away by Vaperetto tho, and plenty in Venice to see and do !. Was here 5 months, with couple months out for travel, then went over to Umag in Croatia. This was basic but tolerable.

I hear good things about Marina D' Ragusa, but we havn't done it due to schengen hopscotch issues.,

Hope that helps !

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:27   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin460 View Post
No to Africa for us because of insurance costs. We have moored in Marina di Ragusa, Sicily, for 9 years for all the reasons listed above in the previous post. MdR is one of only a few marinas in the Med with an active winter live aboard community. It is centrally located for cruising the Med and returning for the winter. Finalmente is a 46 foot cat and for the winter 2020/2021 the cost is 2,800 euros for October 1 to April 30 and 15 free days on either end if needed, plus 18 euros per month for water and power. For hauling out and painting your bottom it is among the least expensive yards in the Med, but you cannot paint yourself. MdR is safe, clean, great food, bars, cafes, people, shopping, and finding marine supplies. It is close to a local airport, Comiso, and an international airport, Catania. For these reasons we have stayed so long. Hopes this helps.

Thanks Dolphin460,

The reason we're considering Tunisia
1. We are non-European
2. The VAT have not been paid and from what I gather is if the boat spends more than 180 consecutive days in European waters, we'll need to pay the 25% VAT
Kite_jeidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:51   #55

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

VAT / EU is more complicated than that, you can have 18 months for the boat, but there are other restrictions on the capt/crew. - Seperate discussion (many threads here on it).

That aside, Montenegro is also outside the EU.
If you have a contract with a Marina, can get a residency card for the duration of the contract. So basically, staying for the full winter is not a problem if you organize it. Getting the permit was trivial, Marina staff did all the work for check-in, and permits for 7 months for us.

They are promoting their yachting industry, so many things are special for yachties like that one. Also good for getting equipment VAT free from the EU if it is expensive (worth it if items > $1000).

Regards
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 13:00   #56

I know many cruisers that have used Tunisia to reset their 180 day clock without any problems. I have been using Albania, Turkey and Montenegro, and the 180 days has never been a problem even though I have over stayed several times as much as a year. As for Schengen it can be a problem. Having said that, I know many cruiser that have never had any problem over staying the 90 days. Avoid flying in and out of Germany and France. Italy and Greece do not seem to care. I have over stayed well beyond the 90 days for years and have only once been question when I was leaving Germany for the US. For what it is worth and nothing happened.

PS. I do have both an Italian and a US passport, however, for years I have entered Italy, France and Germany with my US passport and left using my US passport after my normal 8 month stay, never having a problem.
Old 12-01-2020, 15:34   #57

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin460 View Post
I know many cruisers that have used Tunisia to reset their 180 day clock without any problems. I have been using Albania, Turkey and Montenegro, and the 180 days has never been a problem even though I have over stayed several times as much as a year. As for Schengen it can be a problem. Having said that, I know many cruiser that have never had any problem over staying the 90 days. Avoid flying in and out of Germany and France. Italy and Greece do not seem to care. I have over stayed well beyond the 90 days for years and have only once been question when I was leaving Germany for the US. For what it is worth and nothing happened.

PS. I do have both an Italian and a US passport, however, for years I have entered Italy, France and Germany with my US passport and left using my US passport after my normal 8 month stay, never having a problem.
I'm in similar situation, passport and cruising-wise... This is very useful information. Thank you for sharing.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 08:08   #58

Boat: Just purchased a Benateau 323 clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
I'd for sure like to hear about Gibralter. We are considering it, but so far the Marina responses havn't been brilliant, and they can't confirm a spot.

Regards

Mark.
Gibraltar is where we kept our boat for 8 years.. Queeensway Quay is nicest but not much in it... Really fun place to be with access to North Africa as well as Spain and the rest of the Med...

Just across the bay a few hundred metres is Alcaidesa Marina - Marina in La Linea, Andalucia where they always have space and is a place to wait whilst a berth comes free in Gib.

Most important Gibraltar is not part of the EU and you can stay there on board 365 unlike the rest of Europe where you personally can only stay 90 days and if you remained 180 days you would be classed as a resident and be required to pay VAT on your boat as well as being fined...

If you do not have EU nationality then a permanent berth for your boat is limited to GiB, Tangier in Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey... and thats about it.

The rules for non EU citizens are roughly your boat can stay for 18 months then needs to exit EU waters and clock back in. You personally are in the 90/180 trap. You can have 90 days in any 180 day period but cannot return for another 90 days when the clock starts again.

If you know all the above sorry for being a bore... As posted above Almirimar is the least expensive and I think best marinas in the western Med.. Great place to liveaboard
Michaele is offline   Reply With Quote