Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2021, 10:45   #31

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Best Not Electric Coffee Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
To add to everything here, if good coffee matters, buy freshly roasted whole beans and grind right before brewing (with a good grinder). I haven't bought a second grinder for the boat yet, so I use pre-ground there, but grinding fresh at home definitely makes a big difference.
Note the term "grinder" - which isn't what you get when you spin a blade really fast...

A good burr grinder is what you want; the blades style is irregular, tends toward finer the longer you run it, and can burn the bean/grounds.

For those who are purists (I have one with a crank, and if I were to get tired of it, another to which I could attach my cordless drill or screwdriver - both from West Marine before they quit selling them) here's an example:
https://www.littlecoffeeplace.com/ha...grinder-review

Of course you could pour Folgers into a sock, pour boiling water over it, and decant and get an acceptable drink if you weren't fussy
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:47   #32

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Just go to Bass Pro or camping supply place and buy a SS percolating type to put on top of your propane burner stove. There's usually either a 8 or 12 cup version. We have both in case of entertaining. We use 3 scoops of coffee grains for 8 cups and perk it for 6 minutes. Vary the time for stronger or weaker. When you take it off the burner give it 2-3 minutes to drain and remove the holder for the coffee grains before pouring. It does cool off fairly fast , but you can just reheat it in the pot or pour into a carafe?
Safe, easy peasy, sanitary and low tech, won't fail you! Nothing like fresh perked coffee in the morning! Guess most of you are too young to remember good old simple things.
+1. I got tired of all the rigamarole around the other types. I just put the water and coffee in and let it go for 7 minutes. Presto!

@ $25. I did get a couple of extra glass tops - but haven't used any of them in 2 years

(sorry for the shifted pictures; cannot figure out why they rotated from the desktop to the reply when loaded)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2447.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	236472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2448.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	236473  

Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 11:08   #33

Check out this unit:
Clever Dripper: https://cleverbrewing.coffee/
$21 $US

Enter stage left: the Clever Coffee Dripper! A fool-proof and inexpensive full-immersion method of brewing coffee, this little gem is as familiar as a drip machine - it uses #4 filters - and is as simple to use as a French press.

The resulting coffee retains much of the delicious body of a French press, but does away with the sediment. The steep-and-release mechanism means that you can accurately control the brewing, and extract the coffee directly into your mug with no mess.
jenessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 11:13   #34

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I have repeatedly confronted this question while cruising on a range of sail and powerboats, as well as on a number of trips in a small class B motorhome. The answer is definitely a double-walled SS french press. Makes good coffee, keeps it hot, safe is use in a range of conditions, comes in several sizes, and is very durable. Bodum makes good ones.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 11:46   #35

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilanortho View Post
I use a cone and filter. As for fresh coffee that doesn't go stale quickly, rather loose grounds I cut open Kcups which maintain (more or less) the freshness until cut open. Works great (got tired of stale grounds).
On shore power I use a Nespresso.

Interesting idea, but couldn't you just grind whole beans when needed? Would be less waste and trash for the environment.
Old 13-04-2021, 12:08   #36

Boat: Beneteau

French press is the best. I would recommend you give that one a try for 3 bucks and upgrade if you like it.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=4288985
Patriot73073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 12:10   #37

We have grandma’s aluminum perk pot- makes at least 6 cups. If you can’t wrestle one from grannie, then any flea market is sure to have one for 2 bucks( or $5 , if you have to go to a shop). Has a basket built in, so no filter required and you can make it as strong as you like, mix in some chocolate for mocha, or experiment as you wish. I pour what isn’t immediately used into a thermos and it’s good for hours.
jmastal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 12:14   #38

Boat: kelt 8.5

There is study after study on the best coffee. However there are other considerations. do you drink just one cup or do you have two or more.
I have been using the stainless steel french press and it works fine. Have switched to a bit more thermal capability ie keep it hot longer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think you will be happy with what we got from amazon
realem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 12:16   #39

Boat: Island Packet 380

Coffee snob here. A couple of thoughts:

I make 4 cups every morning with an Aeropress. It is NOT limited to single cups. Measure 55 grams of medium ground. Plunge into a 4 cup container, add hot water to the 4 cup mark. Unbreakable and replacement parts are available on Amazon.
AeroPress filters come in packs of 300. I typically reuse each filter >10 times. You won't run out of filters soon.

French presses only produce 'gritty' coffee when using a standard grind. French presses need a course grind. Results in smoother coffee. No sediment.

Ceramic pour over funnels with #4 filters makes some great cups. 55 grams, again, could yield 4 cups pretty easily.
pushstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 12:34   #40

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I use a NISSON french press, stainless steel/thermos, unbreakable, makes 2 plus cup's.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 12:47   #41

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

There are so many good solutions, and so much is personal preference. I do think that one should avoid glass. For those who usually drink coffee a pour-over, French press (SS), or Aeropress would be the choice. For espresso a good moka espresso machine is great.

For moka espresso Bialetti is the standard but do avoid the basic aluminum ones; Bialetti has some nice, simple, inexpensive stainless ones in a wide range of sizes. I broke down and bought an Alessi pot - arguably the best moka maker but pricey - they are a treat to use. The most common size is for 3 (demitasse) cups, and is what I use for myself (IIRC there are some 1 cup models but that seems a bit pointless). I also have a 6 cup Bialetti, and they scale up as well.

For pour-over, buy a cone/funnel with a long, narrow spigot to put in any thermos (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Manual-C...DTY/ref=sr_1_5 ) .I set the thermos in the sink while pouring hot water over the grounds. This type cone stays in place; the usual cones can come off too easily. I do like the cones with thermos combos but this way I can use any size thermos.

Whichever type of coffeemaker you use go over to Stumptown's website and get their instructions. I made moka for years from what Italian friends taught me but the Stumptown instructions made a big improvement (in this case, pre-heating the water so as not to heat the grounds too long).

Greg

[Edit: If you are concerned about cholesterol then only drink (paper) filtered coffee - it reduces serum cholesterol. The paper keeps a lipid-inducing substance from reaching the finished coffee.]
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 12:57   #42

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlane1181 View Post
We can recommend AeroPress when small quantities are desired, and Bialetti Oceana when larger quantities are needed.

The advantage of the AeroPress over many other press-style devices is that the grounds are easily disposed of with a simple twist of the filter holder and final press of the plunger. Zero mess.

- https://aeropress.com/
- https://www.bialetti.com/it_en/oceana
I will 2nd the aeropress, works very well, with very easy clean up. On land though, French press is my first choice.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 13:05   #43

Boat: Southerly 57

I have never used the Aeropress but quite a number of coffee aficionados I know who camp really like it.

Alan Adler, who invented the Aeropress is an interesting inventor who also invented the Aerobie flying disc and numerous thing for the aerospace industry.

Ken Steele - S/V Soul Kitchen
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 13:12   #44

As a trial, i packed my AeroPress on a quick weekend trip to Dublin. Packed the ground coffee, too. Nice be self contained in an Air B&B.

Worked perfectly, packs inside itself, and unbreakable.
Old 13-04-2021, 13:15   #45

One last note, if I may. . .

Coffee beans are known to laden with pesticides. Think about ordering organic. No one needs any more chemicals in their body.

As an example, look up Kicking Horse coffee. I have no connection to them at all.

I will shut up now.

Tags
electric