Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 18:37   #76

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Best Not Electric Coffee Maker

Thank you for all replies.
I would deeply appreciate it if everyone would search for...and read the following post which is of great importance to all mariners.
“Seacor Power Capsize”

Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 19:16   #77

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ze-249487.html

link to thread Captain Mark mentioned above. I cannot imagine the emotions that go with that after having piloted a sister ship (Captain Mark not me).
Old 19-04-2021, 20:21   #78

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Gentle posters. Thank you for all the replies. I think Aeropress is off the list as the manatee crew used the parts to build a model of the space station then blew it apart with a water gun. Similarly, the stainless steel funnel sounded like a great idea until every funnel and all the aluminum foil in the boat turned up at a impromptu Wizard of Oz party.
Our percolator was turned into a martini mixer after the interior parts were used to fix a Baha filter. I never found the glass top thing.
We agreed a 316 stainless double wall extra large mocha pot looked worth the substantial investment but several checks from my manatee crew bounced.
The crew is equally divided over the French press vs paper filter issue. The French “press gang” folds the science papers of the” paper drip “team into airplanes decorated with small French flags and the words “Sacre Bleu”.
I feel like Danny DeVito in Throw Momma Off the Train. You know...we have Earl Gray, Irish Breakfast, Oolong, Lapsang suchong and Darjeeling.
Seeking domestic tranquility, everyone agreed drink no more than two espressos per day. I agreed to pay for the inox mocha pot.
Again thanks to all for the posts.
Happy trails to you
Mark and his decaffeinated manatee crew.
Simple is as simple does.

We used a Melitta funnel and glass carafe for years, until the carafe broke and we were in a third world location where Melitta was not found in the local stores. So bought a locally made stainless steel coffee pot which fits the Melitta funnel and goes nicely with our stainless steel tea pot. We can always get Melitta #4 filters but we do have a gold plated metal filter which we can use if we are out of filters.

You grind the beans (we have a grinder which works on the inverter) and heat the water in the tea pot, pour it into the filter in the funnel where you have placed the ground beans and you have great coffee. This makes four cups. It is simple and quick. You can use it in Papua New Guinea (try that with your coffee packets) AND, it is cheap and simple and uses very little electricity. Do the whole thing on the gimbled stove so it does not spill.

We have a coffee press and an expresso machine. Never use them.

The fun adventure in many countries is finding whole roasted coffee beans. It is a triumph when you find the beans and a pleasure at dawn on a passage when the first cup is ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0866-Coffee Roasting.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	236894   Click image for larger version

Name:	5689-Starbucks Cup.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	236895  

Old 20-04-2021, 07:25   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
The fun adventure in many countries is finding whole roasted coffee beans. It is a triumph when you find the beans and a pleasure at dawn on a passage when the first cup is ready.
Green coffee beans last years if stored in a cool, dry, dark place.

I have some green coffee beans that I roast from time to time. It is not rocket science but getting an even roast is hard to do. Might try the old air popcorn popper or the air fryer next....

I used to roast the beans in the house, but the wife says the roasting beans "stink" up the house, so I have to roast them outside. Course, it is perfectly acceptable for HER to cook gawd awful smelling brussels sprouts in the house all of the time.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 07:44   #80

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Green coffee beans last years if stored in a cool, dry, dark place.

I have some green coffee beans that I roast from time to time. It is not rocket science but getting an even roast is hard to do. Might try the old air popcorn popper or the air fryer next....

I used to roast the beans in the house, but the wife says the roasting beans "stink" up the house, so I have to roast them outside. Course, it is perfectly acceptable for HER to cook gawd awful smelling brussels sprouts in the house all of the time.

Later,
Dan
I've met others who roasted their own coffee beans, for instance Diana and Jim Jesse on Nalu IV. I think the smell is wonderful (also brussel sprouts, but I draw the line at beets).

However, keeping a supply of roasted beans, or roasting them each day, in order to be able to make fresh coffee each day would be a chore and would add time to the daily process. It would be particularly hard at sea.

We find that whole beans, roasted but not ground, keep for a long time in a cool dark place especially when sealed in the bag or in a tight fitting box.

Once the bag is opened we put the beans into the freezer. We grind only enough for the day's coffee which we use immediately.

Ground coffee get stale quickly.
Old 20-04-2021, 08:08   #81

Quote:

However, keeping a supply of roasted beans, or roasting them each day, in order to be able to make fresh coffee each day would be a chore and would add time to the daily process. It would be particularly hard at sea.

We find that whole beans, roasted but not ground, keep for a long time in a cool dark place especially when sealed in the bag or in a tight fitting box.

I don't roast beans each day but I will do a big batch every once in awhile and then store the beans in an air tight container. No way would I do it each morning.

Thus the angst that I might "stink up" the house once ever month, or two, or three, roasting coffee, but the wifey can stink up the house a couple of times a month with the sprouts! Not fair says I.

Tis one of the Mysteries of Marriage.

Later,
Dan
Old 20-04-2021, 17:02   #82

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

I don't always roast my own beans; but when I do, I roast them outside on a portable camp stove. Then let them rest overnight before grinding that first batch and store the rest as whole beans as mentioned above.
Old 20-04-2021, 17:24   #83

Aero press with metal filter for a quick cup.

But the best is an IKEA espresso maker

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/metalli...teel-00360224/
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 20:58   #84

Boat: Roberts 45

Pick your poison

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4711.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	236976

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 01:57   #85

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Drip/filter coffee does not taste the same as espresso coffee and ironically draws more caffeine from the coffee than an espresso for the same strength of flavour (still tastes different though) I Use a small two cup moKa pot on my boat since that's the coffee I was brought up on ( I still have the scars on my right arm and chest from pulling a full pot off the table when I was 14 months old). I love the smell of roasting coffee as for the first 18 months of my life we lived in an apartment over a coffee roaster in Bromley High Street. Ground coffee seems to last fresh for at least 10 days which is how long it takes me to get through a 250gm packet as I am the only fresh coffee drinker in my household. it seems to last at least six months if vacuum sealed in 250gm packets. I used to buy 16 packets at a time of Segafreddo Italian ground coffee until my supplier stopped importing it and I cannot find another supplier in UK. I now buy my coffee from Harris & Hoole, a speciality coffee house that has about a dozen or so branches in the South of England and makes great coffee. In the past when I was still flying, I carried a French Handpresso coffee machine in my Nav bag which also made good espresso style coffee (had a hand pump you pumped up to 16 bar, added boiling water and a coffee pod (ESE sachet or refillable pods) and then pressed the button over you cup)
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 10:34   #86

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Mr. Coffee is not a very well respected brand of drip coffeemaker and that is partially due to the temperature at which it brews. The Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) has published a set of standards for brewing drip coffee and has certified makers which meet those standards. Some examples are Technivorm, Bonavita, and OXO. Now, there are certainly other ways to brew coffee short of espresso machines. One of the best is french press, in my opinion. Of course, some swear by old style percolators. I think that is because they are used to the distinctive taste that results from boiling the coffee. The rest of us try to avoid that scorched taste.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 11:03   #87

Boat: Trlåren 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Usually we use our reliable Cuisinart for drip coffee. We have a small 316 stainless French stove top mocha pot. Nice for espresso size cups. We’ve looked at larger filter coffee makers but they are glass and look dangerous to use at sea.
Something seaworthy, capable of at least two mugs of coffee.
Thank you in advance for all replies.
Mark and his comatose manatee crew.
Bialetti stovetop espresso makers are available in a 10 (demitasse)-cup size. This makes two mugs of coffee. We bought a Venus 10-cup model and it's great for two people.

Pour through coffee is good but I don't want anything that requires anything consumable (read filters). French press is okay but it always seems a little gritty. The Bialetti stovetop espresso maker is also a little easier to clean.

https://www.bialetti.com/us_en/coffe...html?variant=2
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 13:32   #88

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Technically speaking the Bialetti and similar are "moka espresso" machines, not "espresso" machines. The process is different but with similar (but not quite equal) results. Most of us are not interested in carrying around a full espresso machine in our boats and find a moka espresso machine a good alternative. As Martkimwat referenced above there are compact espresso machines available that have hand pumps to pressurize them.

If using a moka pot then take a look at Stumptown's instructions for use. I found that it was a significant improvement in flavor. And personally I avoid the aluminum moka pots (and aluminum cookware generally); Bialetti also offers a nice line of stainless steel ones. Or go all in and buy an Alessi (I have a model 9090, which also works with induction cooktops if that is of interest).

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 15:07   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

We used a Melitta funnel and glass carafe for years, until the carafe broke and we were in a third world location where Melitta was not found in the local stores. So bought a locally made stainless steel coffee pot which fits the Melitta funnel and goes nicely with our stainless steel tea pot. We can always get Melitta #4 filters but we do have a gold plated metal filter which we can use if we are out of filters.. .
You want even simpler?

Just put your ground coffee in the mugs and pour hot water over it. Stir. After a few minutes, the grounds will sink to the bottom. Drink, and strain any remaining floating grounds with your teeth.

The coffee is ground in a manual Japanese grinder recommended by SeaworthyLass years ago.

We call it "cowboy coffee" on my boat, and although we have different apparatus on board, including a Nespresso machine, french press, and an Aeropress, the cowboy coffee is the most popular, or maybe second after Nespresso.

Big advantage is no apparatus to clean up afterwards. And the coffee tastes great.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 09:34   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Just put your ground coffee in the mugs and pour hot water over it. Stir. After a few minutes, the grounds will sink to the bottom. Drink, and strain any remaining floating grounds with your teeth.
We call it "cowboy coffee" on my boat, and although we have different apparatus on board, including a Nespresso machine, french press, and an Aeropress, the cowboy coffee is the most popular, or maybe second after Nespresso.
That IS cowboy coffee. I have never tried it, but adding a bit of cold water is supposed to settle the grounds to the bottom. At least in a large coffee pot that is supposed to work.

Later,
Dan

Tags
electric