Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 11:13   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Best place to anchor in Marathon, FL?

Will be there tomorrow. What would be a good spot to anchor for two nights? Boot?
solecollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 12:24   #2

Boat: Ericson 27
Re: Best place to anchor in Marathon, FL?

Boot Key is nice... used to be cheap, but now it's a bit pricey, but for a couple of days - yes.
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 12:30   #3

Are there mooring balls are do you have to get a slip? First time going.... Unsure what to expect.
Old 27-06-2013, 12:51   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

There are hundreds of city owned mooring balls and a few anchorages in Boot Key, but only a few. Unless you are trying to scrimp on bucks, call the city dock for a mooring assignment once you go under the bridge. Sometimes they are full so you have to anchor for a day or so.

There is lots of anchoring space outside of Boot Key Harbor to the west but it is exposed and a small field after you go under the bridge and another one at the east end of the harbor.

The City Marina has a huge dinghy dock, fresh water at the outside of the face dock (call to let them know you are coming in for water), showers, rest rooms, a place inside for pot luck suppers (Tues night I think) and a free pumpout weekly.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 13:01   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Mooring balls are $22/night. IMO, worth it.

You can do paperwork ahead of time.

http://www.ci.marathon.fl.us/downloa...ad.php?id=3310

Fill it out on your computer, save it, and email it to 'em.

Call 'em when you enter the harbor, they'll assign you a mooring ball. Go in at your leisure and pay.

Mooring field map:
Anchorage, Mooring, Dockage, and Dinghy Info | City of Marathon Official Website
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 13:32   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

As you pass through the old bridge, you will see some boats anchored on your starboard side. There are usually a couple of holes that you can anchor. it's fairly deep well out of the channel but don't go in too far. If you want to go ashore, you will have to pay the fee for the dinghy dock. If you stay on a mooring, the dinghy dock is included. You pay for water no matter what. The City Marina has slips available this time of year and there are other marinas in the harbor. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 15:41   #7

Thanks all! Great insight._steve
Old 28-06-2013, 10:11   #8

Okay - I have to make this more complicated. We are about 15 nm from Boot Key. Our mast is 72' with the antenna (70' without or around there). I've heard the wires are at 65' now and a cat not that long ago hit the wires...

So with a 4'6" draft (probably less as we are not loaded) can we make it through the sister channel? We will be there on 3 hours.... We have a lagoon 440 with a 25' beam.
Old 28-06-2013, 10:35   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by solecollector View Post
Okay - I have to make this more complicated. We are about 15 nm from Boot Key. Our mast is 72' with the antenna (70' without or around there). I've heard the wires are at 65' now and a cat not that long ago hit the wires...

So with a 4'6" draft (probably less as we are not loaded) can we make it through the sister channel? We will be there on 3 hours.... We have a lagoon 440 with a 25' beam.
You will not make it under the wires.

I go thru Sister Creek all the time with a 4' 3" draft. It's a little dicey at the outside entrance, favor the red, go sloooow. Last time thru there at +0.5 tide I saw nothing less than 1.5 under the keels. Once in the creek, depth is good. Pay attention inside Boot Key Harbor and stay in the channel, there are shallow on both sides of the channel coming out of Sister Creek if you head towards the western end (depending on your mooring assignment).

Your electronics may crap out when you get close to the radio towers half-way thru the creek, at least mine do. I lose depth, wind, stw. They come back before you get to the harbor. Those towers are putting out a lot of watts and Raymarine doesn't like 'em.

Enjoy Boot Key Harbor - and have breakfast at the Stuffed Pig across the street.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:47   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

solecollector, We have been in and out of Sisters Creek several times recently. The shallowest spot you will see is 5+ between the first set of markers going in from Hawks Channel. The rest of the creek is plenty deep. There are even a few wide spots where you could anchor. Feel your way around those wide spots slowly until your comfortable with the depths. We have never lost any electronics in the creek and don't know of anyone else that has had that problem. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01   #11

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
July 5th...the weather here in Marathon has been bad all week. At Sombrero the winds are currently 21mph, seas 3-4'. Rain. The weather will not improve until late Sunday to early Monday. Boot Key is very protected from the weather. I wouldn't advise anchoring outside unless you don't mind the pounding coming in on you through this weekend. Boot Key Mooring field has plenty of room. Some open anchorage across from Berdines. Berdines has a Dinghy dock just past where Hall's Dive boat ties up on the wall. I'm not aware if it's free or not. Anchorage past the bridge is crowded. As previous poster stated, there's 2 bends in Sisters Creek that might offer anchorage for a shallow draft. Several boats fishing there yesterday.

Marathon is still a good place to be. It has been the least amount of vacationers I've seen in many,many years.

S/V Water Wings

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote