Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 11:44   #61

Saint Augustine, Fl.
mermaidserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:50   #62

St. Aug was a wonderful pl ace to live aboard. Once youv'e been there awhile the other live aboards watch out for you. It is also a stunning body of water that provides safe harbor and easy access to the atlantic! There's a great little island that all the liveaboard's camp out and have a fire on!
mermaidserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 10:54   #63

Boat: Matsu, Columbia 34
Send a message via Skype™ to hallie
*shrugs* i don't think we look any better than the rest of the (floating) trailer trash in our marina, but we've never had any trouble. 'course, if you can put up with oregon winters they are happy to take your money here. we're in newport, the marina linked above. it's cheap here (i think, and i'm comparing to the local cost of renting/paying utilites on pretty much anything, including RVs), but it's not yet the cheapest to be found on the oregon coast. i'm not fussed about getting The Cheapest thing available, though, as those places tend to be inhabited by those who look for cheap above all else, such as crackheads. not what i want for neighbors.

if you want to go anywhere from here, though, there aren't many places to duck in for quite a while in any direction - so you take a bullet to bite on, go far enough offshore to get off the shelf and the bad waves, and hope for fair winds. or just not go, which seems to be what a fair number here do. including us, so far, but i'm so inexperienced that if i were geordie, i wouldn't take me as crew anywhere either.

i would totally go topfree in exchange for booze. but i would go topfree pretty much anywhere it was warm enough anyway. and gentlemen, the proper feminist term is 'topfree', not 'topless'. it implies equality, see. just so you know.

when people lost sight of the way to live came codes of love and honesty
~Lao Tsu

life is dangerous and always ends in death.
hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 11:38   #64

Re: Best US liveaboard locations....

"i would totally go topfree in exchange for booze. but i would go topfree pretty much anywhere it was warm enough anyway. and gentlemen, the proper feminist term is 'topfree', not 'topless'. it implies equality, see. just so you know."

Sorry, to resuscitate an old thread, but I just could not let this beautiful quote go without a response!

Topfree it is

Jeff
Rugger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 16:41   #65

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger8 View Post
"i would totally go topfree in exchange for booze. but i would go topfree pretty much anywhere it was warm enough anyway. and gentlemen, the proper feminist term is 'topfree', not 'topless'. it implies equality, see. just so you know."

Sorry, to resuscitate an old thread, but I just could not let this beautiful quote go without a response!

Topfree it is

Jeff
I was recesitated....................................... .

with images in my mind.......................................

till I saw your name at the end.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 11:28   #66

I completely understand. I was hoping to inspire others to join in!

Jeff
Rugger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 12:00   #67
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Smile Re: Best US liveaboard locations....

Well, there is living aboard as in floating condo and living aboard as in cruising. Most of the liveaboard problems refer to, and are caused by, liveaboards who never leave the dock. Many behave as, and most are perceived as trailer trash, whether fairly or unfairly. Having lived on board for ten years, I know what it is to be reviled even though we rarely stayed in one spot for more than a month or two. We found the best way to find acceptance is to keep on the go, then gradually settle in when you find the right spot. Even then you never know when the city or county fathers will suddenly rise up against liveaboards, or the marina is sold, or the EPA comes up with some new ruling that makes your spot untenable. Don't even think about liviing on board unless you are not only willing and able to move on, but welcome new horizons.
Old 25-03-2011, 15:12   #68

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Annapolis is very receptive to liveaboards. We have three on our dock, including the family at the end of the dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 15:30   #69
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

We are in one of the few private marinas on the San Francisco Bay and there are live aboards in 7 of the 20 slips on our dock. Makes for a friendly community. Other marinas that are public are more difficult with the bay regulations and the epa.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 01:59   #70

Boat: Canoe,One Person SailBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's usually not as bad as all the talk is. It's less $ than living in a house. If you dont like where you are... you can move. All the hype (and some of it is based on reality) and gov't interference is disconcerting though. They prefer us in one spot, with our own address so they can keep track of us and make sure we are paying...
"little pink houses for you and me" all in an orderly layout with no extra stuff in the yard, quiet dogs, no chickens, neatly mowed overwatered and insanely fertilized green grass.... you get the picture!
Yap I know how it is more than you know.
NativeUSAindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 02:13   #71

Boat: Canoe,One Person SailBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Well, there is living aboard as in floating condo and living aboard as in cruising. Most of the liveaboard problems refer to, and are caused by, liveaboards who never leave the dock. Many behave as, and most are perceived as trailer trash, whether fairly or unfairly. Having lived on board for ten years, I know what it is to be reviled even though we rarely stayed in one spot for more than a month or two. We found the best way to find acceptance is to keep on the go, then gradually settle in when you find the right spot. Even then you never know when the city or county fathers will suddenly rise up against liveaboards, or the marina is sold, or the EPA comes up with some new ruling that makes your spot untenable. Don't even think about liviing on board unless you are not only willing and able to move on, but welcome new horizons.
Thank you very much of under standing of the words (move it along)
So who wants to make a Marina? out at sea? it needs walls and the door way in is filed with air to close it and to open we let the air out.
Every one can have there own shop.
NativeUSAindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:06   #72

Worst US liveaboard locations....

BEWARE Marker 1 Marina in Dunedin, FL (north of Tampa/St Pete.

This marina falsly advertises many amenities that absolutely do not exist...no ships store, no restaurant, no bar, no parking on weekends (must park a block and a half away and walk), no cable TV, no ships lounge, no hard wire phone service, generally no WiFi service unless you come up to the office, no slip side pump out, grossly unhelpful and unknowledgeable dock hands (don't expect any dock help when landing your boat in windy and/or unfavorable conditions) and never expect anyone to answer a VHF call on the radio, fuel storage tanks frequently run dry because they can't afford to refill the tanks, low tide access is frequently restricted to 3 ft because of the shoaling and boats in slips at minus tides are frequently sitting in the mud (can't operate your air conditioning/heating system without sucking mud into your pumps). Restrooms and showers (2 each for men and women) are miserable and are known to back up with raw sewage, only 1 washer and 1 dryer (old and inefficient) for the entire marina, and a 4% surcharge for using a credit card!

The bank has taken over the Marina and is desperately looking for a buyer. The management company has now invoked a staggering $250.00 a month liveaboard fee for a 3rd rate marina without providing the most basic level of marina standards
liveaboardboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:48   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, liveaboardboat.

So, do you, or do you not recommend Marker 1 Marina in Dunedin?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:54   #74

Boat: Mason 63
My wife and I along with our two cats have been cruising the California coast for a while now. It will be six years this June and have rarely spent more than two weeks in any one place. We have pretty much stayed everywhere between San Fran and San Diego. Our favorite places are Alamitas Bay in Long Beach and Newport Beach. If we include the Channel Islands then by far the best livaboard is on the back side of Catalina Island at Catalina Harbor. That is probably the best place on the whole coast. Paul
Themasoncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 14:06   #75

Re: Best US Liveaboard Locations....

Municipal Marina in St. Petersburg seems very nice. Sister in law lives in her 58" with husband and 2 teenagers.There are several in St. Petersburg/Tampa, but this one seems to be not only the nicest but the most sought after as well. Downtown with tons of bars and restaurants are a simple 1 block walk away. The marina in itself seems very nice. Spent a weekend there with them and at first got the feeling that liveaboards were a mix between gypsys and trailer park trash. Although there is some truth to that, there are other very nice families that live there. Some live in large motor yachts that have not even moved in over 4 years!!! Many other parts of FL, especially in the east coast, have very nice marinas that allow liveabord. I think in this area it would be much simpler to cruise around until you find a place you like and look around there than to go by "reputation".
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard