Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2013, 09:14   #121

Re: Best US Liveaboard Locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
We've lived aboard for thirty-seven years; we arrive at a marina; we pay the monthly rate. We don't hesitate to admit to being "fulltime cruisers" that don't own anything that is not on the boat. Our legal address is St. Brendan's Isle at Green Cove Springs, Fl. This legal residence is on or driver's licenses, passports, checks, voter's registration....everything!....We've spent years at marinas thart "don't allow liveaboards". Our vessel does not appear diffferent from those that are only weekend sailors. We have kept long term slips in Florida, Maryland, & South Carolina. We might call ahead to a marina and ask if they have a transient slip for a couple of months, but we never ask on the phone if they have slips for liveaboards. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
I lived aboard eleven months at a marina in Miami that didn't allow liveaboards, and the harbormaster knew and was okay with it. I did it by having a land based address and a job, and telling him I would be staying on my boat a lot, but keeping my boat looking like I didn't live on it.

I am now keeping my boat at a marina that officially doesn't allow liveaboards, but tolerates several who keep a low profile, and a neat looking boat.

I think this is probably the case with a whole lot of marinas.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:28   #122

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead

I totally agree and I don't think there is a marina owner or dock master that doesn't realize that having liveaboards is having another set of eyes for security and helping with other boaters.
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:45   #123

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHead View Post
I totally agree and I don't think there is a marina owner or dock master that doesn't realize that having liveaboards is having another set of eyes for security and helping with other boaters.
Absolutely. I thought that was a bit of an exaggeration until the first time a neighbor's nearly new boat tried to sink.
Now I make it a policy to introduce myself to my boat neighbors on all sides, let them know I am here on my boat a lot(code for I'm a live aboard really these days). Many of them live out of town, even out of country. I get their cards, write the boat name on the back and if I see an issue, I call them.
Make yourself useful, keep your boat clean and life is good.
Neighbors on your side goes a long way.

I think marinas like the status quo, keeps live aboard boats clean and under the radar, instead of infesting the dock with junk. They get the benefits of having live aboard boaters without the expense of additional amenities, taxes, etc and if the owner chooses to cause problems they have a perfectly legitimate reason to terminate their slip lease(no live aboard)
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
So the T-shirt says:
The problem I see with this bar (without having been there) is that they typically are in tourist areas, and the women who go topless shouldn't while the ones who should don't.
Formorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard