Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 13:05   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

sounds like i sail past honduras.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 06:02   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
As a U.S. citizen, when I leave the United States and sail to a foreign port, I will not have clearance paperwork with a destination port-of-entry. Is this correct? If so, do the officials at your next port-of-entry simply take your word that your last port-of-call was in the United States? If so, could you conceivably, as a U.S. citizen aboard a U.S. registered vessel, cruise around to various ports-of-entry without clearance paperwork, saying your last port-of-call was in the United States?
I believe that is still the case for US Citizen on US vessel, but the last time I left the US was 2004.

However, in essentially every other case you will need to "make papers".
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 06:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Many countries you clear into will plug your info into a computer system that's shared with other countries. If they look you up, they'll know exactly where and when you cleared in and out elsewhere.
Yes, you can probably get away with this -- especially at non-computerized ports-of-entry. And, I know people who have done this to get around paper work issues. However, if you do get caught, the expenses and hassle will far exceed what it would have been just to do it right in the first place -- up to and including confiscation of you vessel (for which your insurance won't pay), fines, jail time.

From my perspective, if you are a guest in someone's "house" then you should respect their laws. Those who flagrantly violate the laws of host countries make it tougher for all the rest of us.
Old 18-02-2012, 06:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Many countries you clear into will plug your info into a computer system that's shared with other countries. If they look you up, they'll know exactly where and when you cleared in and out elsewhere.
Yes and this is becoming increasingly more common. A number of border crossings here in Central America (CA) have been computerized in recent years. Guatemala is in the process of rolling out a system for cruising boats. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that some of this automation is funded by Uncle Sam.

Another thing to keep in mind is the long-arm of Uncle Sam. Do you know that the USCG (and DEA) also sometimes patrol the waters of other countries? They do here in CA. I have seen and heard the USCG Cutters in the waters of Guatemala, Honduras and Belize. I know a few people who they have boarded and checked paperwork. Here in CA if you have a problem you can usually find an "unofficial" way to work it out (computerization of course makes this much more difficult), but Uncle Sam is not so flexible.
Old 18-02-2012, 06:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sounds like i sail past honduras.....
No, please don't do that because of this discussion. The original subject only had to do with one port of entry (La Ceiba). Not many cruisers clear in there anyway.

I've cleared in/out at Puerto Cortez, Roatan, and Guanaja and had nothing, but positive experiences.

We also occasionally do road trips to Honduras. Whether on land or sea I have always found Honduran officials to be friendly and helpful (apparently the port captain at La Ceiba may be an exception).

And, worst of all, you would miss a great cruising ground.
Old 19-02-2012, 09:39   #21

Checked with Lagoon Marina for an update, but discovered they are now closed.

Hello,

our Marina is closed so I cannot tell you any update on that at the moment.
Maybe you should contact the La Ceiba Shipyard I hope they can help you.

best regards
RITA
Old 19-02-2012, 13:23   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Checked with Lagoon Marina for an update, but discovered they are now closed.

Hello,

our Marina is closed so I cannot tell you any update on that at the moment.
Maybe you should contact the La Ceiba Shipyard I hope they can help you.

best regards
RITA

That place (Lagoon Marina La Ceiba, Honduras, One of the Top Class Marinas in Honduras, Central America.) seemed insanely expensive. $570 a month just seems like a ridiculous amount of money to spend in a country as dirt poor as Honduras. I know there are a lot of costs involved, but it can't be as much as running a marina in San Diego and the rates are barely any cheaper.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 08:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
That place (Lagoon Marina La Ceiba, Honduras, One of the Top Class Marinas in Honduras, Central America.) seemed insanely expensive. $570 a month just seems like a ridiculous amount of money to spend in a country as dirt poor as Honduras. I know there are a lot of costs involved, but it can't be as much as running a marina in San Diego and the rates are barely any cheaper.
Yes, $570 per month would be well above prevailing rates in the region. Here on the Rio, for a mid-sized boat (35-45 feet), rates range from about $150-325 per month depending on the marina and other details. Never kept a boat there long-term, but spent about a week there last year and actual rates charged were not unreasonable.

Bit of a moot point now, but just glancing at their price list I see $324 per month for up to 45 feet for longer term (more than moth) storage. This is on the high-end for the region, but within reason.
Old 10-04-2012, 17:16   #24

Just arrived Utila, Honduras yesterday. No hassle, pleasant officials, minimal cost check-in (About 100 Limpira or $5US).
Old 13-04-2012, 07:17   #25

Boat: Pearson 424

Check-in and check-out procedures can change hourly. Honduras cost us $2 on the Pacific side in San Lorenzo last year. Panama was the most confusing and a moving target. We were completely checked in in less than an 1 1/2 hours. Our buddy boat spent a day and were told the ag inspector would show up within three days (he never did). Our ag inspector took the $25 and said we were done. And, the USA isn't consistent either. Much harder to check-in on the West Coast. So, just go cruising because the rules will be different when you get there.
Continuing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:53   #26

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

And as most of ya know already, there is a Zarpe availble to Us Cruisers, from the Homeland security !! sometimes the clerks say no but ask for a Officer !! They do have to honor your request for Clearnce Papers! every fisherman that fishes the south gulf get them so they can use Mexican Ports for safety from weather, for fuel,medical emergencys ect! and the cruisers get them because of the Guy In IsL M !! you can get them at any port city ck the phone book ! Just a idea form a Louisiana Cruiser
Old 14-04-2012, 14:12   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
And as most of ya know already, there is a Zarpe availble to Us Cruisers, from the Homeland security !! sometimes the clerks say no but ask for a Officer !! They do have to honor your request for Clearnce Papers! every fisherman that fishes the south gulf get them so they can use Mexican Ports for safety from weather, for fuel,medical emergencys ect! and the cruisers get them because of the Guy In IsL M !! you can get them at any port city ck the phone book ! Just a idea form a Louisiana Cruiser
Thanks for this advice. Would this be CBP form 1300? I scanned the PDF and it appears to be what you're speaking about.
Old 14-04-2012, 14:49   #28

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

The one I posted is exclusively the Pacific side of the equation since that gets such little traffic compared to the eastern end. They also specifically leave out Panama and Costa Rica because of the coverage those areas get from other guidebooks and resources available online.
While basic, Sarana's guides have more useful information than the Rain's book on Central America in my opinion. I gladly paid for both and am looking forward to using them extensively in the coming weeks as we approach our exit from Mexico.

Elan
www.sailingsilverlining.com
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes and this is becoming increasingly more common. A number of border crossings here in Central America (CA) have been computerized in recent years. Guatemala is in the process of rolling out a system for cruising boats. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that some of this automation is funded by Uncle Sam.

Another thing to keep in mind is the long-arm of Uncle Sam. Do you know that the USCG (and DEA) also sometimes patrol the waters of other countries? They do here in CA. I have seen and heard the USCG Cutters in the waters of Guatemala, Honduras and Belize. I know a few people who they have boarded and checked paperwork. Here in CA if you have a problem you can usually find an "unofficial" way to work it out (computerization of course makes this much more difficult), but Uncle Sam is not so flexible.
I saw the USCG at port in Roatan last summer. Local friends informed me that they are there often looking for narcotic trade.
Suzybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:33   #30

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Yes thats the form 1300 and the PDF is a good one !! Ive gotten so many of them from the local office I only have to call and it's ready when we get there !! LOL we get them any time we go into the gulf even fishing cus sometimes it gets crazy in the Gulf

Tags
Honduras