Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 08:44   #46

Re: Boat Recommendations for Solo Liveaboard?

I have a 2008 37 foot Richard Woods Mirage catamaran for sale that would be suitable since it would cost you much less than any comparable size boat both to purchase and especially regarding maintenance.

The boat is set up as a weekender but can be converted to liveaboard for a man or young couple. It is VERY fast off the wind, comparable with my Outremer 55.

She is also very easy to sail. In my case, I didn't take any classes but I had an old man teach me the basics and then I experimented for a few years in protected waters in Biscayne Bay having a blast doing it and without spending a lot of money.

https://www.sailingcatamarans.com/in...re-owned-boats
piranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 09:07   #47

Boat: Lancer 25 Mark V

Shop marinas as many have minimum boat length, additional slip fees and other requirements for living aboard.
Ron Chalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:45   #48

I've been there and done that.
Before you jump into it, think: what will you do with your present possessions? Best answer put them into long term storage before you sell them.
About sailing the Caribbean, it'll are a year or two before you can safely do that.
BTW there is never enough room on a boat and you'll get rid of or store stuff.
Here is what I did and recommend.
Move to Fort Walton Beach, FL.
Find a Boatel, small place you can buy or rent with dockage. You need a home base, don't jump into buying a boat yet.
Buy CHAPMAN and start reading. It is THE text boat on small boat handling.
Join the Fort Walton Yacht club. Note the name difference. That club was the cheapest in the state. They had a great sailing/racing program. They had world class sailors as members. Great place to socialize and learn. Take the Power Boat Squadron boating classes.
ALL boats need maintenance. Schmooz the people at West Marine and the boat yards. Learn from those People.
Take a day or two each week and drive to all marinas. You can find boats for sale that are not listed where the people want to get rid of the. Beware, they will need work.

I had fun living on a boat. You can have fun looking at all the boats out there. What size boat do you need? Wind generators and solar panels provide free electricity. Will you want a water maker in the Bahamas or a refrigerator?
There are a lot of accessories for your boat to make you comfortable.
ME: I used the built in ice chest, 22 gallon water tank, camping stove and no air conditioning. My 30 footer was too small for want you want to do.
BrunoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 18:50   #49

Boat: Com-Pac SunCat 17

If you’re really interested in the sailing life my advice is to do it now. You can start small as has been documented in many singlehanded stories over the years by stock boats in the 25-35 ft. range.
My suggestion, get a well built used boat that has been properly surveyed to expose any deficiencies, repair them learning from that experience and start using the boat as much as possible. Go out with seasoned sailors and ask lots of questions .This should then lead to many more questions that for now you have no way of even formulate. This isn’t a criticism but quite a common occurrence in delving into something new.
So if you’re serious, jump in with both feet and get wet. Oh one more thing, remember this is supposed to be fun so start having fun.
Go small but go!
Bertinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 10:51   #50

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Bigger is better for live aboard. I think 36 ft is minimum for a sailboat. 38 is better. I have a 34 ft boat I keep in Alaska fir summer use. It is quite spartan.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 11:12   #51

Boat: C&C 37

Lots of good suggestions above, but I will offer my own experience and research and maybe some of it resonates with you. I have been solo sailing in the Caribbean for 5 years now. I bought this boat, my first liveaboard bluewater sailboat, a 1985 Prout Snowgoose 37. After a year of research for a good liveaboard to singlehand I bought the Prout. It's been a great boat for my purposes, easy to singlehand, economical and well built. No regrets. Good luck on your search.
milagroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 11:28   #52

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A boat like a Catalina 30 will be easy to find, easy to get started on, not too expensive, roomy enough for a single liveaboard, sails well and will have good resale value. But have you checked around at local marinas? We have a limit here for liveaboards of nothing under 35'. That varies from place to place.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, liveaboard, men