Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 07:24   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
We were on a delivery, so we transited it in a day and a half, stopping near some millitary base area... can't recall what it was (some kind of school I think?), but some of the staff has boats on moorings.
West Point, perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssulivan
Going under the Tappan Zee and George Washington bridges are a blast after you've been motoring through the canal. You have your mast back and there is lots of room for sailing, plus you start to see Manhattan, which is a pretty cool thing to see after being in the woods of the Erie Canal for a bit.
Sean,

I would put New York Harbor and the lower stretches of the Hudson on a list of "must sail" places on the east coast - especially for the history buff.

Sailing around Manhattan was a favorite. I sailed in from Long Island Sound, under the Throgs Neck Bridge, through the infamous Hell Gate, down the East River, under the Brooklynn Bridge, past the Statue of Liberty, then up the Hudson. Great sailing until well north of the Tappan Zee Bridge.

The day after this shot (above), along the Palisades approaching the Tappan Zee Bridge, a nor'easter settled in and I had 35 knots on the nose and pouring rain for a couple days, but still found the Hudson a fascinating waterway.

Above, one of the historic lighthouses along the river. Below, a replica of Henry Hudson's "Halfmoon" on display in Albany.

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:00   #32
cruiser

Wow, Kevin! Yes, that's it... West Point. Really great photos. The sail is full of history and every bit as exciting as driving your car in to NYC if you're not from there. The traffic is intense, mostly due to ferries and patrol boats.

While we have enjoyed being here (can see the Statue of Liberty from our marina), we are ready for a quieter, slower pace of life.

I saw the shot of your boat heeled over a bit there by the Tappan Zee. It's hard sailing in those condiditions since the river doesn't always give you the depth and/or sea room. My hat's off to you for a job well done there... even time to snap a photo.

We'll be transiting the same waters you entered in by in a couple months... not to return for quite some time. I do enjoy the roller coaster ride of Hell's Gate through the East River as well. It's fun to catch it at max flood or ebb in your favor. I think I remember looking down to see 12 knots on the GPS last time at one point.

We'll be going south next winter. Woodstoves are great, but... sun is better.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 13:57   #33

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
Thanks all for some GREAT discussion!
Actually, my wife and I have fully agreed on sailing our Oday 27 as much/as often/as far amid Lake Michigan we can go over the next 3 years to gain the experience.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Strictly Sail show in Chicago over the weekend! My wife and I had a blast, visiting exhibitors and boarding and getting an idea of what size of boat we'd enjoy sailing. We've both agreed while there, that a 37-42' would be ideal for the two of us.

Everyone here has some great ideas, but fully agree, 27' would be great for coastal great lakes sailing but offshore stuff, best to go bigger.

shellbacks rules! *arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh*
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 15:30   #34

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
"We've both agreed while there, that a 37-42' would be ideal for the two of us."
Ok, but I like a bit smaller for economy. Economy in the initial payment and for replacement sails, rigging, winches, etc.. And, that's why they make boats in all sizes, shapes, configurations and quality. Each to their own point of view.
I see a Cal 36 in Michigan on eBay that's going to go really cheap.
Happy sailing this summer in your O'Day. I like them.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 12:11   #35

The CS 27 logs Jack mentioned are from Destiny Calls and they can be found here:

Welcome to the Destiny Calls Home Page

Attitude is important and these people got it about right. Excellent reading and very entertaining for anyone regardless of whether you are planning on making this trip.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote