Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2018, 01:12   #46
Marine Service Provider

Re: Boat wide Wi-Fi with surveillance cameras, Internet and Garmin gpsmap 7000 serie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
If you upload images to a server, then same server may forward remote control to the camera. Either via store-and-forward or by creating and using a VPN, which gives an added bonus of strong data link encryption.
I am an IT architect that this doesn't make sense to me sorry. The camera can upload to a server using secure FTP by simply entering in the username, password and server details. You can then view the picture or video files from there, however you choose. It they aren't published to the public, nobody can see them.

Generally and I say that carefully because you *can* get one for additional cost, the remote camera is NOT remote controllable because on most wireless data plans you don't get a public IP address so the camera and its router are not accessible from the outside world.

See the following re the issue of not having a public IP on the camera / router:

https://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/connectivity/ip-addressing.jsp

Unless you pay a *lot* more and often only if you own a business, then remote control functionality such as pan and zoom are simply not available. Even dynamic dns won't solve this issue.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 01:56   #47
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Re: Boat wide Wi-Fi with surveillance cameras, Internet and Garmin gpsmap 7000 serie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I am an IT architect that this doesn't make sense to me sorry. The camera can upload to a server using secure FTP by simply entering in the username, password and server details. You can then view the picture or video files from there, however you choose. It they aren't published to the public, nobody can see them.

Generally and I say that carefully because you *can* get one for additional cost, the remote camera is NOT remote controllable because on most wireless data plans you don't get a public IP address so the camera and its router are not accessible from the outside world.

See the following re the issue of not having a public IP on the camera / router:

https://www.wireless.att.com/busines...addressing.jsp

Unless you pay a *lot* more and often only if you own a business, then remote control functionality such as pan and zoom are simply not available. Even dynamic dns won't solve this issue.
OK, I am also an IT, so let me explain it in detail.

Consumer broadband mobile terminals are usually assigned a private, dynamic IP. They are usually behind a single, or often double NAT/firewall. This means, as you described, that it is not possible to connect to such terminal from outside, but it itself can communicate with public (routable IP address) servers. You are using this capability to send image data _to_ a public server. But, your device can also request data _from_ a public server. Only, it has to initiate the connection, to pierce the NAT/firewall it is behind.
Once you realise this, the VPN idea is straightforward. It comes at an additional cost, because small data packets have to be sent from the VPN client (your surveilance camera in this case) to the server to prevent NAT/fw from closing the connection. This is done automatically by VPN stack, if so configured.

I happen to manage a distributed set of resources. Most of them are NATed/firewalled. Yet, I am able to do most management remotely, because they all are a part of my VPN, so I can ssh/ftp/... from any device to any other device in this network. All I need is _one_ server with a public IP to act as a VPN server. If I understood you correctly, you have such a server and ftp images to it?
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 02:58   #48
Marine Service Provider

That all makes perfect sense and the camera in this case (and most others) have VPN capabilities, however the remote control aspect is not listening on the camera for remote requests. The VPN component is primarily for outbound encrypted connections. If you could get inbound you may be able to access the storage but remote control such as panning is usually out of the question.

Unless you are aware of some fandangled new camera that will allow this...

A wireless router dishing out dhcp addresses would allow a VPN connection and remote control in a variety of cases for most cameras but it is an extra piece of kit to configure and power on 12 volts. Plus to get to it you'll need to access your server and run I.E. or Chrome remotely which is going to be a pain on a mobile device.

The extra cost for a static or dynamic IP may be money well spent in the case of a native 4G camera.
Old 23-01-2018, 06:25   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Following this tread closely.. Thanks
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 07:21   #50

Wow, there have been quite a few entries to this since I last posted - I’ve been pretty busy working and sailing so haven’t been able to reply.

First I am EXTREMELY happy with my Arlo cameras as noted they can be configured to do several different things...

1) upload on detection of motion to a cloud server
2) take a photo periodically and upload to the cloud
3) provide realtime streaming video to my cell phone from anywhere in the world.

I am also VERY pleased with the Almond device. It got very very cold recently in Georgia but I was able to keep constant tabs on both the internal and external temperatures on my boat remotely. I also have a bilge alarm and motion detector operating when I am away from the boat.

Unfortunately I have still not cracked the code on getting the Garmin 7612 chart plotter to join the same network as my other devices. I am convinced this is because Garmin arrogantly (and wrongly IMHO) believes that they should be the most important device on the boat and somehow think they will ultimately dominate/own everything on the boat with partners etc. I will say that I do love the WIFI capabilities and new Active Captain features in the new update but they still have work to do there too.

Someone asked about a Raymarine device, unfortunately I can’t help you there with that one.

Regards,

Peter
Lamb Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 08:43   #51

Boat: hunter, 1982, 30 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameCafe View Post
Very interested in this thread to know if you have confirmed that you can access internet and at the same time, access Garmin GPSMAP on Garmin Helm.
This will make life so much easier for using the tablet to access weather and other info at the same time without having to reconnect. Thanks so much for your efforts.
when The Garmin interfaced wifi connects to the Internet, I can switch from Internet to helm without any problem...when at dock, I can connect to the boat wifi better than I can connect directly.
summer love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 09:03   #52

Summer love, you lost me... I saw your earlier query about a Raymarine E80. That is a chart plotter correct? Do you also have a Garmin chart plotter?

Re: “I can switch rom internet to helm without any problem” I think you are talking about the Garmin 76XX with WIFI. Yes, I can relatively easily switch but to do so I have to switch the WIFI connections on my phone or iPad. Specifically, my internet connection wifi is named NETA and my Garmin 76XX wifi is named NETB. Ideally it would be wonderful if the Garmin instead of creating its own separate WIFI could just join the boat wifi NETA but I’ve talked to Garmin tech’s and this does not seem to be possible. The latest app Garmin Active Captain does allow the chart plotter to be connected to the internet thru your cell phone or iPad but IMHO it is a kludge and basically this means I still have to have two separate WIFI’s and manually switch back and forth depending on what I am trying to do. Additionally, if I have a free wifi connection while in port on the boat network and want to download charts updates to the garmin it is a two step process (connect to boat WIFI, download chart update and then reconnect to garmin wifi and upload chart update). This is just stupid as the garmin could/should be able to just connect directly to the same network.
Old 23-01-2018, 13:12   #53

Thanks Lamb Chops
That is the same set up that I am using - switching between SSIDs - agree with your Garmin comments, will just have to soldier on.
sameCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 13:49   #54
Marine Service Provider

Lamb Chops... you've said this:

Quote:
1) upload on detection of motion to a cloud server
2) take a photo periodically and upload to the cloud
3) provide realtime streaming video to my cell phone from anywhere in the world.
... but have you actually done this yourself, or are you reading from the "brochure?" (point 3)
Old 24-01-2018, 18:44   #55

Yes, I do/have streamed video from my boat realtime from pretty much anywhere. Obviously the bandwidth matters at both ends. I was recently using WIFI at a resort in Cancun and their bandwidth was barely adequate But it did work. I was also able to monitor my boat (with video) from China in August of this year.
Old 20-04-2018, 21:09   #56

I really like the idea of boat automation with a smart hub with zwave and wifi. I can't help but feel zwave is perfect for boats being wireless and very low power. I've been looking at a lot of smart home wifi hubs so will have to look more at the Almond as it seems interesting. Most smart home hubs are cloud centric so not all scenes / rules will work when in offline mode. The one I was looking most at was 'ncube', which is designed to continue to work with IFTTT rules without needing the cloud and is low voltage.

I've also been looking at how to extend the NMEA 2k network over wifi. There are quite a few options these days but I have settled on using a VesperMarine XB-8000 which whilst a little pricey, brings AIS, anchor drift alerts and MOB watch along with the NMEA to Wifi bridge. I really like the company, it seems to be doing some smart things.

So with both the smart hub and XB-8000 I am now able to pass all data over wifi / LAN including the radar info. I'll use OpenCPN on a small ships computer but what I really want to be able to do, and have no idea how yet, is have an IFTTT capability that utilises inputs from the ZWave / Wifi hub but also can use NMEA data to trigger alerts (eg windstrength, gps, speed etc). This would allow any piece of data from either network to trigger another action (alarm, lights, send SMS). Taking it to an extreme example which may never be possible but what say you were moored in an area where security could be of some concern, the 4g radar was set with a close guard zone that IF triggered THEN turned on some lights, and IF pressure or IR sensors picked up movement on the boat THEN sound alarm/barking dog noise or even simpler example, if wind exceeds XX knots between 10pm-6am then send alert to phone app.

I'n not a developer / coder so looking for pretty simple solutions if anyone has any. Can this be done in OpenPlotter or has anyone seen any software that would do this?

Thanks
TravellingKiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 18:12   #57

It’s been a while since I have posted anything here. Over the last 3 years while I have owned my boat I’ve found it useful to monitor internal/internal temperature. Previously I did this with wireless sensors connected to the Almond. However, I am now in the process of doing a major refit (all new HVAC etc.) and came across something that is quite cool and warrants mentioning.

The devices are made by Micro Air and are called “Easy Touch Control Displays”. The company makes the displays that are used by Dometic but they also make a wifi version that is only $20 more that allows you to control the HVAC systems remotely from an app anywhere in the world. I spoke to one of the developers there (Roger) and thanks to Roger’s assistance my refit will now have two of these displays controlling Dometic DTU10 and DTU12 (10KBTU and 12KBTU). In addition to having a cool touch interface I will have two “external” temperature sensors. My rear stateroom will have a sensor that runs to the engine compartment and my main Solon will have a sensor that is located outside in the shade of my bimini. I am also planning to add a water sensor to the Dometic U controller board so that I can also tell from the app the input water termperature. Basically this means that once fully installed I will be able to get inside/outside and engine and water temperatures for my boat literally anywhere in the world.

The website for the controller is as follows...
https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=29192045643

Note: to control a stand-alone Dometic HVAC like the DTU6 you need the OEM version with 8 pin connector. Roger sold me some special long temperature sensor cables for the outside and engine sensing.

I will post some photos of the app once I have it all up and running.

Good luck!

Tags
boat, camera, garmin, gps, internet